Marine Unit

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Marine Unit

Now, this is not anything I expect to be added anytime soon, but I think this is still a good idea.

For a long time, people have requested a Marine unit in Supremacy 1914, but now we have a game where it would make more sense. (Due to the inclusion of several more islands, and potentially a Pacific front.)

Here is how the Marine unit would work.

Base Attack Against all Units (Excluding air units)-2. Basically, identical to infantry.

BUT, it would have a benefit on "Island" terrain, which would have to be added as well. Instead of having 2 attack power on this type of terrain, it could have 3. Additionally, the Marine unit could have a slower disembark time. Another idea I had was designating certain provinces as "coastal" provinces, which would give the Marine an attack bonus as well, but I'm not sure of that.

In summary
      ATK-2 on all terrain, but 3 on Island terrain
      Lower disembark and Embark time
      Slightly more expensive to create, but daily upkeep is the same.
      Moves slightly faster on water, but only by a miniscule amount. (Not really sure about this part either.)

Thoughts?
    • I guess the idea is great, but I don't think that add "Island" terrains is a nice option. For me, the marine unit must have the same values of inf., but have a smaller penalty when disembarking.

If marine is added, I guess they would have to add a coastal fortress option too, or even use the "Fortifications" to protect the coast.

I think that it would make a disembark easier than it should be, so I prefer keep without marines.
      O beijo, amigo, é a véspera do escarro,
      A mão que afaga é a mesma que apedreja.
    • There are loads of units now i do not think anymore need to be added. at least until the majority of people have a clue how to play the game.

коли ви дивитеся в шоломах України ви побачите справжню силу України.
      Коли ви дивитеся в очі українців ви побачите істинний сенс буття українського
    • narf0708 wrote:

I like the idea in concept, but the way it is presented is unnecessarily complex. Why not just keep the marine unit at full infantry strength in the water?

The primary reason for this now is because the boats infantry use to move around on water are simple passenger boats. I do not think they have any defenses, so it would be a bit silly to have them do more damage at sea when they are using the same style of boat for movement. (Hence why I said I wasn't sure about the last part.)

Keep in mind that if they add a pacific front, or a global map, to the game, there will be many more islands, which will increase its usefulness. It wouldn't be all that useful now, but it would be able to prove its worth later on as more maps are released.
    • An island terrain wouldn't make much sense. Look at an Arctic island, the a Pacific one. They will be quite different. Even Pacific ones would be different. Look at Palau and then Iwo Jima. Very different. I don't know why the boats would be faster, but you said this yourself so I won't pick at that. Then you said a base attack against all units excl. air of 2. Would this include ships, subs and buildings? Either you wrote it badly, I read it wrong or you forgot something because if it's stats were like it would be OP. I am fine with the cost and embark time, but how much of a speed boost would they get when disembarking? The idea sounds good if they make a Pacific or world map, but I myself would just build a bomber squadron, do a couple of runs with them and then invade with my navy giving supporting fire. Or just send my whole army or half of it to take.

Forum ArmyField Marshall :00000441:

Mess with the Bill, you get the scorn!

• Good suggestion.

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.
    • Somebody else suggested jungle terrain, maybe they get a bonus there.
      Carl Wilson

“Dad, how do soldiers killing each other solve the world's problems?”
      ― Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes: Sunday Pages 1985-1995: An Exhibition Catalogue

"Rule 1, on page 1 of the book of war, is: 'Do not march on Moscow'… Rule 2 is: 'Do not go fighting with your land armies in China."
      Bernard Law Montgomery, British general
    • Carl Wilson wrote:

Somebody else suggested jungle terrain, maybe they get a bonus there.
      Perhaps.

"I came, I saw, I conquered" Written in a report to Rome 47 B.C., after conquering Pharnaces at Zela in Asia Minor in just five days; as quoted in Life of Caesar by Plutarch; reported to have been inscribed on one of the decorated wagons in the Pontic triumph, in Lives of the Twelve Caesars, Julius, by Suetonius.

"Alea iacta est" Gaius Julius Caesar.