I have a question about upgrading

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a question about upgrading

Like the title. I wonder whether we should wait until the units finish researching new level then build it or build it then upgrade later.
    I'm kinda confused. I did some calculation but due to the doctrine speciality. I can go to a final conclusion. Can someone helps me with this. I want to make it 100% efficiency.
    P/s: sorry for my bad English
  • This may be a partial answer. If you are playing 1.0, your units automatically upgrade when you complete higher level research. Only in 1.5 does your question come into play. In that game, by building first and upgrading later, you have the availability of the unit for all that time. I don't know the answer to the 100% efficiency question, though. That is a good one for the more experienced players.
    OysterT
  • Cloudpop2 wrote:

I'm 99% sure building to a high level is more efficient then building low level then upgrading.
    Yes, but it is extremely expensive to build high level units, and also very time consuming.
    It was a good era as a Republic we landed. But then the Russian's land was narrow for him. Ai-ui-ai-jaa, ti-ral-lal-laa, but then, the Russian's land was too narrow for him. Ai-ui-ai-jaa, ti-ral-lal-laa, but then, the Russian's land was too narrow for him. Then the Red Army came like rags, and accompanied by a [sic] mendel was a political print. Ai-ui-ai-jaa, ti-ral-lal-laa, and accompanied by a mendel was a political print. Ai-ui-ai-jaa, ti-ral-lal-laa
    -Untsakad, Politruk
  • This question is the point of 1.5. By having it so that both options are viable it enables players to have a greater degree of freedom and choice.

I personally build for example a large number of lvl 1 troops, then research lvl 2,3 and upgrade my troops to lvl 3 skipping the lvl 2.
    I do this because building lvl 1 troops then waiting for lvl 6+ to upgrade while technically economically might be the best method, it means your troops will be super under levelled and thus likely you won't make it to the late game. Troops that are 1 lvl under are still competitive, I find troops 2+ lvls below the current max start to really suffer so I upgrade every 2-3 lvl period. Hope that helps your question.
    Torpedo28000
    Main Administrator
    EN Support Team | Bytro Labs Gmbh
  • Torpedo28000 wrote:

This question is the point of 1.5. By having it so that both options are viable it enables players to have a greater degree of freedom and choice.

I personally build for example a large number of lvl 1 troops, then research lvl 2,3 and upgrade my troops to lvl 3 skipping the lvl 2.
    I do this because building lvl 1 troops then waiting for lvl 6+ to upgrade while technically economically might be the best method, it means your troops will be super under levelled and thus likely you won't make it to the late game. Troops that are 1 lvl under are still competitive, I find troops 2+ lvls below the current max start to really suffer so I upgrade every 2-3 lvl period. Hope that helps your question.
    yeah, you're right and if it's axis doctrine then it will work well
  • I think there's a degree of personal preference involved and I doubt you could arrive at a formula for maximum mathematical efficiency, unless you're simply referring to the amount of resources and/or time getting X number or units to level Y would cost.

Arriving at such a formula is not even straightforward, there are other variables. If you're just talking about resource cost alone, it should be obvious that waiting until you achieve the desired tech level and then building the units would cost the least resources because each time you upgrade you have to pay 50% of the at level unit cost. If you're talking about time, you have to consider the level of the troop production facility (and thus the time to produce the facility as well if it exceeds the time to reach the desired tech level). If this is the kind of calculation you're looking for, I can do an example calculation.

Example, 30 level 4 infantry
    The following information is taken from the game and is used in the calculation

Level 1 infantry
    870 Food
    420 Supplies
    900 Manpower
    620 Money

Level 4 infantry
    1420 Food
    680 Supplies
    1310 Manpower
    1010 Money

Cost to produce 30 level 1 Infantry
    26100 Food
    12600 Supplies
    27000 Manpower
    18600 Money

Cost to produce 30 level 4 infantry
    42600 Food
    20400 Supplies
    39300 Manpower
    30300 Money

Cost to upgrade 30 infantry to level 4
    21300 Food (17040 Allies)
    10200 Supplies (8160 Allies)
    19650 Manpower (15720 Allies)
    15150 Money (12120 Allies)

Total Cost to produce 30 level 1 infantry and upgrade to level 4
    47400 Food (43140 Allies)
    22800 Supplies (20760 Allies)
    46650 Manpower (42720 Allies)
    33750 Money (30720 Allies)

The difference in cost is pretty negligible when you skip three levels, but it grows if you upgrade at every level. Allies fare better in this regard and Axis fare worse due to increased production costs. Of course, in war things are not that simple. It's not practical to wait until day 16 to start building anti-tanks. As EZ Dolittle said above, proximity to the front is another factor to consider. If a unit is stationed far from the front, you can probably get away with skipping an upgrade or two, but inevitably you will want to upgrade any unit below current tech level. The strength disparity can be very large from just one tech level because units gain both damage and hit points.
  • Upgrading is a potential reward for your tactics(not losing units). So when there is an opportunity to upgrade old units, give priority to upgrading as much as possible, rather than manufacturing new units.

Moreover, in addition to the manufacturing cost and time of the unit, the time and opportunity for the unit to arrive at the battlefield are also important factors for victory, which can only be achieved by upgrading.
  • Cloudpop2 wrote:

Ryan04px2025 wrote:

Hold up, I am not sure but do we need to do research for 1.5 or no?
    yes you do but units are not automaticaly upgraded. for example if you have lvl.1 infantry and you research lvl.2. then you need to upgrade the lvl.1 unit to lvl.2. however newly produced units will automatically be lvl.2 once you researched it.
    Wait 'till I play the not yet existing tutorial. ;) lol
    BeaveRyan
    EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Training Alliance United Leader
  • Torpedo28000 wrote:

This question is the point of 1.5. By having it so that both options are viable it enables players to have a greater degree of freedom and choice.

i was asking that can i upgrade my level 2 medium tanks (axis) directly to level 4 by skipping level 3? Will the upgrade option directly upgrade my medium tanks from level 2 to level 4 or will it first upgrade to level 3 then to level 4 asking different amount of resources each time i upgrade?
  • BEASTOP wrote:

Torpedo28000 wrote:

i was asking that can i upgrade my level 2 medium tanks (axis) directly to level 4 by skipping level 3? Will the upgrade option directly upgrade my medium tanks from level 2 to level 4 or will it first upgrade to level 3 then to level 4 asking different amount of resources each time i upgrade?
    This thread is two years old I'm closing it. Btw you'll pay for level 3 and 4 but the upgrade will be done at the same time.
    BMfox
    EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!