Real Allies Doctrine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Real Allies Doctrine

CoW is not doing well as Supremacy 1. In CoW 1.5, doctrines split to 4, but basically are United States, Germany, Soviet Russia and Japan. So United States joined the war before 1940? And no any France or British units involved. In Supremacy, unit basically named as Infantry lv1, lv2...etc.

CoW insisted to named unit specific. And some of Anti Tank, Anti Air units are formed from British, Also used US military name.

In Supremacy 1, there has Entente and Central Power 2 factions. They are followed real history and unit design are also good. Unit pictures are original art too. In fact, I think Supremacy 1 doing fine enough.

And CoW need to be improved!
    • and if pictures replace to original art and make a M4 sherman as a similar painting art like Sherman(delete mark and anything whose can be recognized) instead copy pictures from wiki or websites. I will not judge it.

Then I agreed this game has been improved.

I also feel wondering why Nazi symbol or some name were forbidden in the game but allowed Japanese symbol used for Asia countries.

No offense, just curious.

Why I mentioned S1? I can also said Central Power nations only has few in the S1. But they did the historial part correctly. Why cant CoW make it well too?
    • Tasmine wrote:

I also feel wondering why Nazi symbol or some name were forbidden in the game but allowed Japanese symbol used for Asia countries
      Well, let's think. The swastika isn't used for two reasons: 1, it goes against the game's ToS (which is German btw) and 2, it represents Hitler's affirmation in the Aryan race being the most superior, which is racism and the game does not tolerate this.

The Pan-Asian symbol, however, is only meant to represent a rising sun and not much else. Which is also why Japan was nicknamed 'the Empire of the Rising sun'.

Quite simple explanation.
      - Cardinal S
    • Tasmine I really don't get why in every post you make in this forum you are always comparing CoW with S1 :D . Yeah some things in both games are similar, some things are different.
      From personal insights I know that CoW is more concerned with historical accuracy than S1 is. That's why CoW uses the real historical names for units, for example. While we try to be historically accurate, it is not always possible and some exceptions have to be made.

The unit names and unit images have been this way since CoW1.0. The addition of Doctrines did not change the unit names or the unit images, instead it altered the balancing of them.
      It was a deliberate choice back then to focus more on US troops on the allies side. Certainly the fact that the vast majority of CoW players is coming from the US played a role in that :) It is frankly what people overall enjoy and and want to play with more, instead of playing with french troops from early in the war, for example (that's not meant as an offense).
    • To Cardinal S:
      I don't think so. As you said, I do know what Aryan is but when I saw a Nazi symbol. I will not relate it with this.

And for you, Japanese Empire's sun flag just a symbol, isn't it?

I do not understand the pain under Japan's rule very well; But this kind of things(doctrines) I have been see a lot.

March of War, Asia is part of Shogunate Empire.

Kards, description of Double-Seven Incident claimed(I don't know it's fixed or not and I forgot the card's name) it was a Home Defend action(for Japan).

To Freezy, I even compared CoW with NWE if you remembered. It should compared with good parts.
    • The reason for banning Nazi symbols, but not Japanese fascist symbols (who arguably committed similar atrocities in this period) is quite simple: Bytro is a German company and Nazi symbolismm is against the law there now. Japan is very far away and their war crimes are much less known in Europe.

As a personal addition, I always think forbidding Nazi symbolism in historical games is a bit strange... I remember playing a WW2 scenario in Civ IV where Germany was led by "Franz von Papen" (a shady politician around the Nazi power takeover) and not simply by Hitler. It is like telling a film maker he cannot have "Das Boot" sailing to the ocean in 1941 under a bunch of swastika flags at the quays...
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

The reason for banning Nazi symbols, but not Japanese fascist symbols (who arguably committed similar atrocities in this period) is quite simple: Bytro is a German company and Nazi symbolismm is against the law there now. Japan is very far away and their war crimes are much less known in Europe.

As a personal addition, I always think forbidding Nazi symbolism in historical games is a bit strange... I remember playing a WW2 scenario in Civ IV where Germany was led by "Franz von Papen" (a shady politician around the Nazi power takeover) and not simply by Hitler. It is like telling a film maker he cannot have "Das Boot" sailing to the ocean in 1941 under a bunch of swastika flags at the quays...
      At least it's getting better. If you remember back in the day the old Medal of Honor or Call of Duty games had to censor the swastika. Today, we get the newest Wolfenstein without censorship. (albeit only very recently)

The process is slow but that is to be expected with a topic this sensitive.
    • freezy wrote:

It was a deliberate choice back then to focus more on US troops on the allies side. Certainly the fact that the vast majority of CoW players is coming from the US played a role in that :) It is frankly what people overall enjoy and and want to play with more, instead of playing with french troops from early in the war, for example (that's not meant as an offense).
      But can we expect you add french and Brit doctrine in the future?
      "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"
    • Anpere wrote:

If Doctrines became realistic on 1.5, it would be pretty boring since vast majority of the nations would be associated with the Allied Powers, I suppose that's why they added Comintern. But even then, some Comintern nations were associated with the Allied Powers.
      Changes name, description and picture will not affect game experience.