Traps

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• As a quick note before we begin, I read a forum post about minefields. I will be discussing a similar topic in this forum, just more complex and specific.

There was a recent update where player's buildings were camouflaged, and couldn't be seen by others unless they stepped on the province. I thought about traps, and these are all the ideas I came up with. The 2 objects I suggest adding to CoW are mines and barbed wire.

Mines

Mines in WWII were effective against both infantry and tanks. Mines in CoW will work as an effective defense, that will take at least 1 day to place, and a lot of materials to produce.

Mines will go off as soon as an opponent enters a city. For example, if player X placed mines in London, and player Z sent his infantry towards London, player Z's infantry will lose health once it reaches London.

Mines will be more effective as it levels up. However, mines could become seriously OP, and could possibly wipe out entire infantry or tank groups/units (whatever you want to call it) So the maximum level a player can upgrade it to is 2 or 3.

However, players could possibly spam mines all over their country, making it impossible to win a war without losing many. So for my next forum I will be discussing demining units/mine flails, so look out for that.

Barbed Wire

Barbed wire was introduced into farming at first in the 1860s-1870s, and wasn't used in massive amounts for war around the beginning of the 20th century (Second Boer War-WWI) In WWI it became a terror, as it slowed the movement of troops, and wounded them.

In CoW the barbed wire will do the exact same thing. The costs will be high, building will take a long time, and the higher the levels, the more damage. That basically sums up the barbed wire. It won't do as much damage as the mine would, as adding a special unit just to remove wire is a waste of time. But I'll bring it up in my next post anyway.

Summary

Yes I'm going to add these now for the lazy people out there. Mines and barbed wire will change combat in CoW because they will slow troops down, and do damage to them while they keep marching to their goal. Mines can be disabled but barbed wire cannot. Both have big costs, long times to create.

Mine flail
    • Really great Idea but It one that has be proposed before. The main issue is with barbed wire. When you are on enemy territory your troops already receive a -50% to their speed. To implement barbed wire that would slow down troops would be a game changing item. They would either have to remove the debuff in enemy territory so it would not be to overpowering or they would have to just let it be too overpowering. Either way it is not a very good idea because troop movement and troop health is not a big issue in the CoW Community. I do not really know why mines are not put into CoW. I think they are a good Idea and I do not see too big of an issue with them besides the time it would take to develop them and the fact that they would need a counter. As well as that they would have to have hit points like every other building. Perhaps if this idea for mines gains enough traction it is possible but i do not see it very likely. Do not lose hope there was a time when everyone thought paratroopers would never happen.
    • I really do not see much of a place for mines and barbed wire in the game.

They would be traps for spending unneeded resources for new players much like forts are. If you build minefields and barbed wire instead of troops, which you will have to because of the cost you mentioned, then you will have fewer troops. Troops can move around the map and defend or attack where you put them, that makes them infinately more useful than static defences. They just use resources in a place you might never need them anymore.
      So as soon as there is a way to remove/counter or even spot minefields/barbed wire its a complete waste of resources.
      Like the Germans in WOII, great defences only serve to send your opponent around them. So once it is noticed that you have obstacles somewhere an enemy will just go around any way possible.

Think about it like this: Say you have 100 resources to spend, your enemy spends 100 resources on troops. You spend 80 resources on troops and 20 on mines and barbed wire. If your enemy is smart enough to go around your mines and barbed wire, you created a huge disadvantage for yourself.

In the role you say it fills it would be the exact same thing an anti tank gun is in the game in 1.5, a hidden counter to tanks in cities and forrests, with the upside of anti tank being moveable around the map to wherever you need it.

The only way I could see them as useful is if they slow down an enemy but do not really cause damage or very little if any at all, that way it could have some strategical relevance to it. However, implements that make games last longer are generally not very well liked.

Whole armies have never been killed of due to mines as far as I know, so I see no reason for it to be in the game.
      At sea they could be a cool implementation though, since there is no terrain change at sea. So if using mines would slow down naval units that might be cool. It would however make landings even harder then they already are, so again perhals not great in the perspective of the game.

So yeah, sounds great due to historical accuracy but from a game perspective I doubt it will do more good than harm.
      I am sure I would never use them anywhere.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Edepedable ().

• zecevi123 wrote:

Not wanna insult it sounds like great ideas. But I think that forts already cover all the things you listed.

SteelStrategist wrote:

zecevi123 wrote:

Not wanna insult it sounds like great ideas. But I think that forts already cover all the things you listed.
      Forts dont really do anything besides give home defense. Plus, its boring. It isn't effective against tanks, so whats the use? Mines are, and fortifications can be bombed.
      Both of you see the "Naval Mines" thread more recently