Version 1.5 and Armored Cars

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Danieliyoverde123 wrote:

Edepedable wrote:

I just had another look at them as I just started a map playing Axis. It really does seem there is no real reason for me to build light tanks. I actually just finished a world map as soviet (I won with my coalition) where I also did not develop and use light tanks in favour of using medium tanks.
      light tanks and medium tanks perform the same rol for different strategies and techniques, if you for one of them you should forget the other.There are some differences between price and speed, different armors type, production and investigation cost to take in consideration.
      I don't think the light tank is useless, they are ok, probably for the axis don't worth bcuz they have bonus on medium tanks, and for the panasian it's a "must" go unit.
      I also had absolutely no need for them when I was playing with the soviet doctrine. Perhaps allies is different because of the availability of mediums coming later but I do not have that knowledge at the moment.
      So then, by taking all those things into consideration, they do indeed perform different roles if not tactically at least due to them needing different resources to be built and research being done.
      Pan-Asian is actually the one that needs them least of all in my opinion. Their armoured car gets 20% more damage against unarmored while the light tank gets 15%. The 15% damage against light armour can still be done better by medium tanks. So in that case a combo of armoured cars and medium tanks would be a good choice where you do not mostly need speed (or maybe you still can cause of the high speed due to doctrine).

Sure they are not useless in the meaning of having 'no use' but for the role they are supposed to perform they are outperformed by armoured cars.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Edepedable ().

• Edepedable wrote:

When seen like this the armoured car is more like an 'anti infantry' assault unit than the light tank is and the light tank is more like an 'anti-armoured car' assault unit. At the start of the map it really is the only thing it is better at than other units in the early game. It also has less utility because of its lower speed and as was mentioned before, armoured cars defence against air is more than double that of light tanks.
      This was indeed the balancing intention. It is intended that Armored ars are better units vs. Infantry. While light tanks are better units vs. Light Armor. Additionally Light Tanks are designed to be used offensively, Armored Cars for defense.

Light Tanks are probably the better use for players who want to go full offensive without having to take care that their units make hold in defensive positions to use the units better defense capabilities. On the offense Light Tanks are as good as Armored Cars vs. Infantry, but are much better vs. Light Armor and also moderately better against heavy armor. Different player needs -> different units.

Also as I have stated we will nerf Armored Cars a tiny bit in the next update.
    • freezy wrote:

On the offense Light Tanks are as good as Armored Cars vs. Infantry, but are much better vs. Light Armor and also moderately better against heavy armor.
      At the moment this does not hold true, armoured cars are in fact better against infantry on the offense.
      Level 1 armoured cars do 3.5 damage against infantry on the attack where light tanks do 3.1. (Axis).
      Level 2 armoured cars do 5.8 damage against infantry on the attack where light tanks do 4.6 (Axis).

I think I understand the idea of the rock, paper, scissors triad balancing and with that the intended role of the armoured car and light tank. As it is the armoured car outshines the light tank on the light tanks intended main offensive task --> early game offensive, thus attacking a lot of infantry. This makes the armoured car more useful on both the offence and defence at the moment.

freezy wrote:

Also as I have stated we will nerf Armored Cars a tiny bit in the next update.
      Awesome, good to see and hear you guys keep on improving the game! :thumbsup: