Destroying Infrastructure

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Destroying Infrastructure

In the Second World War, many territories were lost or retaken. Mostly on the Eastern front you saw rigorous fighting. However, the USSR would not let the enemy claim their territory. So they never left anything behind for them.

Destroying Infrastructure and Resources.

There is a reason they left nothing behind. The Russians wouldn't let the Germans bask in their territories while enjoying what was theirs. Instead, they burned crops, blew up important buildings such as bridges, headquarters, etc. I find this a good strategy, while harsh, it could have been one of the reasons the Germans couldn't succeed on the front.

Take a look in CoW however. You cannot burn anything. All you do is enter a city and 356 civilians commit suicide? For example, if I am about to lose one province (if this option existed), I think about why the enemy would want it. If its a regular province like Mikhailovka, leave it. But if its a city, I would burn it. It gives a lot of resources, lowers morale to 10%, it basically turns your city into a barren wasteland.

There are a few catches to this though. It takes up to 1 hour to scotch your city. If any of your troops are still in the city while it is being scorched, they will be damaged.

Now we all know the option to build a capital city. It is basically useless. Nobody uses it because it is a waste of. resources, and the only reason they would use it is because they have nothing else to spend their savings on. So instead, with this option, introducing the "Rebuild City" option. If you have just conquered a scorched city, fear not! You have to wait 5 days for your city to be rebuilt.

Now with the rebuild city option, resources like crops begin to grow back again. The morale is rebuilt to 35%, and more. Now we ask why this is a good idea, but let me explain. You know your chances of defeating an enemy by looking at your force. If Player C has 12 infantry, 5 tanks, 4 interceptors, and 1 battleship, his chances against a player with the same rank and same size country is 50/50. However if Player B has 6 infantry, 2 tanks, 2 interceptors, and no sea forces, his chances against a Player C sized country is not good.

Thus, player B can scorch his city. He will be unable to produce new troops, increase morale, build infrastructure, for another 10 days if he still has it.

Well with this we will end it here. I'm not going to repeat everything again, so yeah.
    • This has been brought up before. The reason that it is not an option because it is in the game already. When you capture a city the buildings in it suffer damage. It makes no sense if you have a level 5 tank factory that you can just turn it into dust within an hour.

To keep the game somewhat simple (which it is already not) I really do not think it needs the option to destroy your own buildings. There are other threads on this subject all over the forum though. Many pros and cons.
    • I have always liked the Idea of a "Scorched Earth Campaign" option implemented into the game but I believe it would not be a good idea for a couple reasons. First reason being is Time. The game already takes around a month to as long as four to five months for really long games. If this was put in the game I believe that it would make the game last longer and typically that is not a very liked idea. My second reason is it would take a lot for the developers to put this in the game. Whenever I'm thinking of ideas to put into the game I think of things that would not be very difficult and would make the game more enjoyable. This would cause a lot of stress on the developers and delay other projects they may have in mind. Overall a really good Idea but because of the potential negative impact on the CoW Community and the negative impact it would have on the developers I do not think this would be a good Idea.

Also I would like to mention that Capitals are very important. You seem to neglect how all the pros use Capital strategies. I'm not sure if they ever did anything to "fix" it but I know some people capital farm. They repetitally take an AI's capital to raise the moral of all their provinces by ten and wait for them to build it back to do it again. It is a great way to reduce rebellions in your provinces. It is also a great way to incite rebellions in your enemies' provinces. If you take you enemy's capital it lowers their moral making it far easier for them to rebel.