Defensive play without High Command

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Defensive play without High Command

Madainn mhath, I enjoy playing on the defensive, I started the game only 5 days ago. It seems to be that a lot of defensive advantages are given to the High Command players due to the "Fire Control" option. I main the United Kingdom (Only because Scotland isn't an option) and I like the naval tier. Are there any alternatives to high command when it comes to making a blockade for defense? or do I need to be active constantly so I can wage war on someone who is trying to go on the offensive?; this way my ships will attack their convoys...
    • If you are playing as UK then stopping any ships coming in is not a bad thing. It is not likely they will be coming for sightseeing. As for defences, and also attacks, yes activity plays a role in the game, even with high command. If you know a player has high command you can just send in a 'useless' unit to draw fire and then move in you own ranged units to take out their ranged units. Then order them out of range and start over again.

Activity is the main contributer to tactical success.
      Strategic success comes from planning which does not rely on activity but on knowledge of the game and on skill.

If at all possible, try planning major battles in a way you have time to fight and command your units through it. It is well worth the results.

Other than that, defences should be built around slowing down your enemy so you have time to react to it.
      What I like to do myself is put my troops a couple of hours away from any border neighbouring an enemy if at all possible. That way if they do plan to attack they first have to show what they have by entering my provinces and I can plan accordingly without having my army being caught off guard and without a proper fighting chance.
      At sea put subs in front of your coast to see landings and put more subs around to increase the vision on anything approaching your coast. Planes can also help with this but are better combined for scouting with active play.

Hope this helps.
    • I don't recommend playing consistently on the defensive. You may see some advantage in terms of defense points and High command abilities, but you must consider the wider strategic situation :
      1. First off, being on the defensive means (at least in theory) that your country is being attacked, putting your cities and production facilities at risk. Consider that, on the contrary, your enemy is not losing any terrain and resources, unless you're inflicting very heavy casualties on him (at which point you should switch to offense anyway). The opponent may lose troops but it's not his cities being damaged in the meantime.
      2. Whoever attacks has the relative advantage of taking the initiative. Defense is a reaction game: you place your troops in reaction to what the invader is doing. This somewhat deprives you of more complex manoeuvers like flanking, diversions, among others. You're basically not "playing" the game, in a sense, but being played.
      In summary, a situation where you have to defend should be avoided in the first place, and once defending that should only be a temporary situation before the counter-attack.

This is a bit different for easily defended nations like GB of course, but even then you don't to be overly defensive. In a situation where 2 opponents with hypothetically unlimited resources and units would constantly fight, one always atacking and the other always defending, the defender should eventually lose in the long term because of the general strategic disadvantage I mentioned above.

NOTE : to more precisely answer your question about naval warfare and fighting off an amphibious landing, use submarines to detect and attack landing forces. Tactical bombers work wonrders against unprotected transport ships as well, and present the advantage of travelling very quickly and being able to move up and down the coastline in an instant.

The post was edited 1 time, last by VIRVCOBRV ().