Popularity balancing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Popularity balancing

I've have been watching popularity closely and this is my second post in regards to popularity. studying my own popularity against other players within my maps is something I've been keeping my eyes on.

For example: my present map, its day 2 and I've declared war once, following the diplomacy channels and I've been penalised 20 popularity points. Bringing my overall popularity down to 61%. Whereas, my neighbour has performed 3 perfidious acts of war and is currently sat on 56%.

After weeks of watching similar situations transpire, I'm still convinced that something just doesn't add up with the popularity rating. I've voiced it many times in global and help chat and always been given the same advise:

1. Give nations RoW
      2. Trade in the market
      3. follow diplomacy channels and declare war before invading. (which still carries -20% penalty).
      4. Go to Forum.

I agree that elite A.I. make more interesting game play but when your in a 25 player game with 2 active players with a popularity rating of -10%, it leads to some extremely frustrating game play. The advise given to raise popularity is a farce. Never once in nearly 8 weeks have i seen any improvement in popularity from trading (I've said it once, I'll say it again, I believe this is pure myth. I've not seen a single thread of evidence that this works with trading). Row works to some very tiny degree by increasing it by %1. Declaring war penalty is far too steep in my opinion and i believe that a more balanced rate of Increase/decrease should be addressed. I'm not convinced, that anything works for increasing popularity to any beneficial effect. I'm not even convinced that it works properly considering the difference between the actions of my neighbouring player and myself during the round I'm in. It make no sense how he could have attacked 3 nations without warning and still sit at 56% while I follow popularity protocol and be sitting at 61%. Nothing about it adds up, or makes any sense.

Yawnsy