How to INVADE successfully- GOOD THREAD

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to INVADE successfully- GOOD THREAD

In this thread we will explore different strategies for invasion, and also look at some examples from my experience. Please reply.

First of all, let’s begin this topic with discussing the VARIEBLES of an invasion:

TERRAIN

AIR, ARMORED, INFANTRY, ARTILLERY AND SHIPS

INTEL

MORALE

RESEARCH

ETC.

Terrain. Although a virtually invisible feature, terrain is vital in any invasion. Terrain dis/advantages are very important. For example, a commando unit is sure to defeat a light tank unit. But if they fight in forests/hills/mountains/cities, the commandos would receive little damage. If they fight in fields, commandos would receive considerable damage. An example is when I once attack the USSR as Japan. They had a commando unit coming to meet my heavy tank in mountains. (both units were full health) I was confident and sent my heavy tank to battle. I did win, but had 0.3 health left at the end! So remember, terrain is vital. Good manoeuvre through appropriate terrain could win nearly any war.

Now let’s start on the more visible features of CoW. Always when deciding on an invasion, PLAN first. I usually codename my operations so that I’m more organized. Here is how you should plan invasions:

• Look at visible geographical positioning (e.g. UK island, USSR wide border). Think how your troops will attack. For example, if attacking the UK, would it be better to go through North Sea or English Channel?
      • Understand your influence and control. See what air power you have, what areas are vital, everything that involves control. (e.g. if Japan and planning to attack USA look at what areas your navy has to control and where you need to take to create naval/air bases etc.)
      • Try to find out exactly what your enemy has through espionage and scouting (mainly with Interceptors) base your build-up on this info, so if the enemy has 20 tanks and 1 infantry get tank destroyers. however always remember that even though you should focus more on a unit particular to the enemy, your army should ALWAYS be mixed.
      • Go over details, discuss with allies, set a date, begin positioning and build up, complete your plan/s.
      • Plan a defensive strategy too in case invasion fails and have a reserve troop (should contain defensive units like militia and tank destroyer rather than offensive units like motorized infantry and light tanks)
      • INVADE!

RESEARCH VITALS

Try to always use your research capabilities to the MAX. Although not necessarily perfect, this is how your research should roughly go (IF no research is already done at start)

• Militia. Not a very strong unit, but cheap and fast to produce. Should be essential since it is arguably best defensive unit, and can also hold enemy back while building up. Another invisible use (SPECIALLY in 1.0) is their potential to overwhelm with numbers which can be VERY effective.
      • Armoured Car. Armoured cars can go against ANY infantry unit, so they should be researched early. Although I personally have never seen them used in later stages of a game, they open the way to tanks and are useful.
      • Light tank. You might think we should research infantry first, but no. If two players started research one on tank one on infantry, then produced for 2 days, who’d win? You have to try to get light tanks fairly early in the game. They are very good units that can be used even in very late stages. They can out-manoeuvre enemy but are best for quick invasion or counter offensive build up.
      • Infantry. I believe that militia are more used and more produced than infantry as well as BETTER. I am not sure about dis/advantages of unit, but I know that it should be researched because otherwise Motorized/Mechanized infantry and commandos would remain locked.
      • Mechanized Infantry. My personal favourite and probably best unit in the game. It gets both tank and infantry dis/advantages, so it is usable in nearly all terrain. Fast, Furious, got to research it! If you want you can research motorized infantry instead but they don’t get tank advantages and are just FAST infantry.
      • Interceptor. The reason this came so late is because all units damage air forces and even if attacked by a large airforce a quick research and production of anti-air should do it. So, planes are not an early essential. By this point in the game though, you have to start thinking about your air force.
      • Medium tank. If wanted, you could research this before M. Infantry. I put it rather late because the Light Tank is fairly equal and Medium Tanks should come in later as heavier and slower weapons to be used as a backbone.
      • Tactical Bomber/Tank destroyers. Either would be good at this point as both are strong tank killers.
      • Artillery. Basically LAST essential unit to research I believe. Quite useful in battle, but not that good in the game because of its melee weakness. However if behind an organized assault force they could become VERY useful. Also helpful for blasting fortifications.
      • WHAT EVER YOU WANT AS ESSENTIALS ARE OVER.

Lets get back to the invasion topic. An invasion force should consist of balanced stacks. A rough idea for an invasion force is that it should contain quick units (L. tank, M. infantry), strong offensive tanks, sky supremacy and bombardment of enemy (strategic bombardment of appropriate cities that can be used for counter attack important), some anti-tanks, infantry filling, and one SP anti-air per stack. However your invasion force should vary according to your enemy.

And here is the last part of this thread, MY TOP TIPS:

*Try to attack from unexpected routes.

*if enemy has fortified borders remember to bombard first for maybe 2-3 hours and to match delay your attacking units.

*have an idea of how you are going to maintain the front.

*if attacking a long front, launch narrow front advances.

*try to surround urban cities since enemy usually keeps lots of troops in urban provinces so that they should keep the province. By surrounding and bombarding it you ensure maximum casualties induced and none taken.

*my BEST tip. Go read better threads!
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“If you win, you need not explain!”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength

The post was edited 1 time, last by GrandEmpire ().

• My tips in invading: 1.5 version

Three Essentials: Land

Ground - 1st Priority
      Air - 2nd
      Artillery - 3rd

Three Essentials: Sea

Cruisers - 1st
      Battleships - 2nd
      Landing Party - 3rd

Why there are three essentials?

1. Ease of control and coordination
      2. Superior killing potential
      3. Ease of production
      4. Better resource use and management

-----

Preparations for land invasion

Ground: Depending on your style you might try to invade with the force you are comfortable with. You must know the purpose why you are producing these units and know how to use them.

Tip 1: Unlike others in 1.5 that would prefer higher stacks. The maximum stack I will use will be 10. These are the reasons.

1. Maintain effective SBDE
      2. Waste of unit's HP
      3. A well upgraded 10 stack army could lay waste on 20 to 30 stack army who has no upgrades. Especially if there are two 10 stack armies of the same upgrades.
      4. Efficient usage of resources

Tip 2: Stack your units early on do not leave them alone and exposed.

These are to

1. Coordinate your forces
      2. You may launch an invasion with a more formidable force
      3. You'll get a stronger army with better stats
      4, You can use these stacks to invade unsuspecting enemies who did not prepare their troops
      5. You can defend with these stacks against enemies who invade

Tip 3: Know when, how and why to attack.

"Know your enemy and know yourself" - Sun Tzu

1. Never attack uncoordinated
      2. Never attack with inferior units
      3. Never attack with unsecure flanks

How to attack:

1. Coordinate the timing of your approach: Always time your attacks because this will be helpful in effectively eliminating the opposition.
      2. Two vs 1 is the best way to eliminate a strong army. Even with Sun Tzu's treatise it is said that it is best to attack an enemy who has lesser army than you have.
      3. Remember the three essentials
      4. Do not attack with ground forces alone if unsure of the enemy's strengths. Do not also leave your aircraft alone without protection, same with artillery.
      5. Do not be greedy and remember your goal. I suggest attack cities first.

P.S. Do not rush the research of secret weapons. I do not find these that useful early game. I'd rather stick to conventional weapons since they are proven and tested and readily available.

That's all for my tip I hope it helps.
      "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

"Diplomacy works with leverage!"

-Krieg Maker

"We can wage an attrition war forever with no goal, if one is found otherwise!"

-Krieg Maker

"The difference between flirting and diplomacy is that the former requires flattery, the latter requires assurance. Be sure to be in the position of power when trying to win through diplomacy!"

-Krieg Maker

The post was edited 1 time, last by KriegMaker ().

• Secret units aren't that bad, for example rocket arty for comintern is open for research on DAY 1, making it a must-have in your infantry stacks, it also has the added bonus of stopping rebellions even alone. Rockets are kinda bad but they are excellent at destroying airfields, I once deployed 14 rockets with the intent of wiping out Britain's air network, their airforce had not bothered me once my army moved in. They also give research to rocket fighters and due to my negligence in the air sector, is able to quickly destroy air squadrons on paper (I haven't tested this concept out). So the secret branch is something that should not be skipped. But anyways, they should be researched alongside regular weapons in my opinion.
      I should probably change what I write in here. -No one ever
    • I know they are not bad but if you prefer to subdue the enemy as fast as you can you have to be consistent in what you would want to research. At least three well upgraded units can lay waste to almost anything the enemy throws you. A well coordinated attack can reduce the enemy to rubble. It's not like I do not really research on the secret branch. Only late and when they are deemed necessary.
      "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."

- Sun Tzu

"Diplomacy works with leverage!"

-Krieg Maker

"We can wage an attrition war forever with no goal, if one is found otherwise!"

-Krieg Maker

"The difference between flirting and diplomacy is that the former requires flattery, the latter requires assurance. Be sure to be in the position of power when trying to win through diplomacy!"

-Krieg Maker
    • PLEASE DO NOT RPLY AS SUCH TO MY THREADS. ONLY CALL OF WAR CONTENT IS ACCEPTABLE.
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • Thank you admins for removing the inapprpriate content :)

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • Reply more it's a good thread

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • gud thread, i follow alot of this stuff in my own games.
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Nice thanks

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • Old thread mate. Its Old
      And LT is NOT overrated. I have won 12rounds cos of LT

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • LTs are good yes, would also make med tanks in it's stead since i usually have tons of SP
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Exactly- and my opinion is NOT biased

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • GrandEmpire wrote:

In this thread we will explore different strategies for invasion, and also look at some examples from my experience. Please reply.

First of all, let’s begin this topic with discussing the VARIEBLES of an invasion:

TERRAIN

AIR, ARMORED, INFANTRY, ARTILLERY AND SHIPS

INTEL

MORALE

RESEARCH

ETC.

Terrain. Although a virtually invisible feature, terrain is vital in any invasion. Terrain dis/advantages are very important. For example, a commando unit is sure to defeat a light tank unit. But if they fight in forests/hills/mountains/cities, the commandos would receive little damage. If they fight in fields, commandos would receive considerable damage. An example is when I once attack the USSR as Japan. They had a commando unit coming to meet my heavy tank in mountains. (both units were full health) I was confident and sent my heavy tank to battle. I did win, but had 0.3 health left at the end! So remember, terrain is vital. Good manoeuvre through appropriate terrain could win nearly any war.

Now let’s start on the more visible features of CoW. Always when deciding on an invasion, PLAN first. I usually codename my operations so that I’m more organized. Here is how you should plan invasions:

• Look at visible geographical positioning (e.g. UK island, USSR wide border). Think how your troops will attack. For example, if attacking the UK, would it be better to go through North Sea or English Channel?
      • Understand your influence and control. See what air power you have, what areas are vital, everything that involves control. (e.g. if Japan and planning to attack USA look at what areas your navy has to control and where you need to take to create naval/air bases etc.)
      • Try to find out exactly what your enemy has through espionage and scouting (mainly with Interceptors) base your build-up on this info, so if the enemy has 20 tanks and 1 infantry get tank destroyers. however always remember that even though you should focus more on a unit particular to the enemy, your army should ALWAYS be mixed.
      • Go over details, discuss with allies, set a date, begin positioning and build up, complete your plan/s.
      • Plan a defensive strategy too in case invasion fails and have a reserve troop (should contain defensive units like militia and tank destroyer rather than offensive units like motorized infantry and light tanks)
      • INVADE!

RESEARCH VITALS

Try to always use your research capabilities to the MAX. Although not necessarily perfect, this is how your research should roughly go (IF no research is already done at start)

• Militia. Not a very strong unit, but cheap and fast to produce. Should be essential since it is arguably best defensive unit, and can also hold enemy back while building up. Another invisible use (SPECIALLY in 1.0) is their potential to overwhelm with numbers which can be VERY effective.
      • Armoured Car. Armoured cars can go against ANY infantry unit, so they should be researched early. Although I personally have never seen them used in later stages of a game, they open the way to tanks and are useful.
      • Light tank. You might think we should research infantry first, but no. If two players started research one on tank one on infantry, then produced for 2 days, who’d win? You have to try to get light tanks fairly early in the game. They are very good units that can be used even in very late stages. They can out-manoeuvre enemy but are best for quick invasion or counter offensive build up.
      • Infantry. I believe that militia are more used and more produced than infantry as well as BETTER. I am not sure about dis/advantages of unit, but I know that it should be researched because otherwise Motorized/Mechanized infantry and commandos would remain locked.
      • Mechanized Infantry. My personal favourite and probably best unit in the game. It gets both tank and infantry dis/advantages, so it is usable in nearly all terrain. Fast, Furious, got to research it! If you want you can research motorized infantry instead but they don’t get tank advantages and are just FAST infantry.
      • Interceptor. The reason this came so late is because all units damage air forces and even if attacked by a large airforce a quick research and production of anti-air should do it. So, planes are not an early essential. By this point in the game though, you have to start thinking about your air force.
      • Medium tank. If wanted, you could research this before M. Infantry. I put it rather late because the Light Tank is fairly equal and Medium Tanks should come in later as heavier and slower weapons to be used as a backbone.
      • Tactical Bomber/Tank destroyers. Either would be good at this point as both are strong tank killers.
      • Artillery. Basically LAST essential unit to research I believe. Quite useful in battle, but not that good in the game because of its melee weakness. However if behind an organized assault force they could become VERY useful. Also helpful for blasting fortifications.
      • WHAT EVER YOU WANT AS ESSENTIALS ARE OVER.

Lets get back to the invasion topic. An invasion force should consist of balanced stacks. A rough idea for an invasion force is that it should contain quick units (L. tank, M. infantry), strong offensive tanks, sky supremacy and bombardment of enemy (strategic bombardment of appropriate cities that can be used for counter attack important), some anti-tanks, infantry filling, and one SP anti-air per stack. However your invasion force should vary according to your enemy.

And here is the last part of this thread, MY TOP TIPS:

*Try to attack from unexpected routes.

*if enemy has fortified borders remember to bombard first for maybe 2-3 hours and to match delay your attacking units.

*have an idea of how you are going to maintain the front.

*if attacking a long front, launch narrow front advances.

*try to surround urban cities since enemy usually keeps lots of troops in urban provinces so that they should keep the province. By surrounding and bombarding it you ensure maximum casualties induced and none taken.

*my BEST tip. Go read better threads!
      WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH. What's all the talk about militia being trash about? I need help :wallbash :wallbash :wallbash :wallbash