Stealing Technologies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Chadwik wrote:

Dude, i've never talked about percentages, it's something the experts should decide, as they know better how the game works. Also, there's no need to repeat something you already said, and 2 researching spaces aren't much, as it being there are lots of technologies. Also, every unit is usefull, if not, they wouldn't be researched, you just don't know how to use them or don't realize there are different requirements and costs for each one. For example, AT are usefull to defend a frontier were you don't want to invade, but know there's a possible threat the neighbour sends tanks without advice. As to milicia, they are usefull to produce units in provinces without industrial complex. As I said before, if you don't like the proposition it doesn't means it wouldn't make the game more interesting, and, I think it's more usefull to have a spy to steal technologies than having it to discover how rich the enemy is.
      Sorry for the 3%, it was coming from someone else who replied in this toppic.

If we look at the stats of the anti-tank researches, we see small increases in damage. Light tanks have bigger damage increase and they have speed increase. They will fall off very hard as the game progresses, menaing you might get stuck with them. If we look at the lvl 1 stats of the anti-tank and light tank, the light tank is way faster and therefor can outmaneuver them. They can simply drive another 12 hours to avoid the antitanks and take some other province. The anti-tank can't keep up because of the lack of speed.It is also impossible to station lots of anti-tank in nearly all your border provinces. It would cost to much manpower and so on, leaving less for an offensive army. A tank on the other hand has the same stats for defense and offense. The bomber can be used in offense and defense. These units (others as well) are capable of doing 2 jobs very well. I find them better defenders as antitanks. Much faster so you can outmaneuver, more allround vs other units and capable off attacking as well.

Militia are very weak if we look at their stats. They can defend in forests vs everything but bombers and tanks (the 2 major offensive weapons in this game). Fight over the controll off cities is still dominated by planes (and possibly anti-air and infantery). Without industrial complex their training time is very long. By the time you got them, you probably don't need them anymore or you lose 5 vs a tank or bomber. You will also have a bigger upkeep for your barracks, which is quite important if we look at how the food is balanced at this moment.

Battle ships (I know you havn't mentioned it) are fairly popular by most players, but I think this is also one of the most useless units. Building this thing means constructing lvl 3 harbour (more oil maintainance), long buildtime, expensive boat in general, high upkeep costs. I have 5+ harbours making ships most of the time. lvl 3 harbour needs 200 oil a day= 4 level 1 harbours. The battleship can only effectively be used to destroy ships. It can attack on land as well, but only bad players leave their units in range of battle ships. A submarine is a lot cheaper, requires lvl 1 harbour, 18 food and 50 oil upkeep/day --> you can easily have 50!!! Slower than the battleship, but that's ok in this case :P , they can defeat them 1v1. Having lvl 3 harbours and battleships will restrict you capabilities to produce enough destroyers and therefor you may be overwhelmed by mass submarines.

Players building or even researching anti-tank or militia show they have never looked into detail to their unit and ask to be conquered.

Stealing technologies can only become a thing if the useless units will receive a buff in order to make them a viable choice, so that players will actually be really forced too choose what research they need most. I think we can safely say some units are not viable atm.

Spying an enemy and being able to see all his troops is quite interesting. Or a long campaign of military sabotage on all his ship producing provinces. If you spy his economy and you see he is low on food and $ you can mkae nice use of that. Nothing as attracktive as economical sabotage (buying counter espionage will cost him lots of money, just as buying the food he will be missing on the market) and at the same time try to influence the market to push the food prices up (in 1 day I pushed food and oil prices too 30$/each by buying the few cheaper ones and selling mine for 30$/each. I made a lot of money because big players with huge armies on the worldmap will have food deficits and possible shortages of oil as well. They were forced too buy mine since they couldn't get cheaper once in time.) At the same time I made an anonymous message in the newpaper about the rise in oil and food prices and since then it hasn't dropped. I also discovered 1 player selling a lot of his resources to a guy with a huge army for 1$, also nice for in the newspaper. All together they form an 9 man alliance, but they don't all get along very well. nr. 10 was eaten a few days ago. By using spies this way you can influence the diplomacy of others in your advantage. Especially the alliances build on poor thrust will fall apart. There is no technology that can replace any of the above information. I know sometimes your spies don't discover much, but most of the time it's a lot of knowledge that will be usefull sooner or later.

And I can confirm that 1 player with 700VP just declared war on everyone. 9% of the worlds army (according to my calculations this would be about double the amount of military she can actually maintain with her food), 9k food 2 days ago and 200k$. I think she was about to run out of resources and I thank my spies for making it possible for me to take this oppertunity to influence the market and allow me too make some anonymous posts in which I target the biggest 5 players (including me and my ally) by exposing weaknesses whithout exactly explaining what causes them. My ally and I have enough economy to sustain our troops off course. Otherwise I would make us vulnerable by doing so.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Azkazan ().

• Azkazan wrote:

Battle ships (I know you havn't mentioned it) are fairly popular by most players, but I think this is also one of the most useless units. Building this thing means constructing lvl 3 harbour (more oil maintainance), long buildtime, expensive boat in general, high upkeep costs. I have 5+ harbours making ships most of the time. lvl 3 harbour needs 200 oil a day= 4 level 1 harbours. The battleship can only effectively be used to destroy ships. It can attack on land as well, but only bad players leave their units in range of battle ships. A submarine is a lot cheaper, requires lvl 1 harbour, 18 food and 50 oil upkeep/day --> you can easily have 50!!! Slower than the battleship, but that's ok in this case , they can defeat them 1v1. Having lvl 3 harbours and battleships will restrict you capabilities to produce enough destroyers and therefor you may be overwhelmed by mass submarines.
      Exactly. I mentioned that.
      It's been a while
    • purplepizza117 wrote:

Chadwik wrote:

It would be interesting if spies in other countries capitals(in intel missions) could steal technologies from the other country. Also, it would give a bigger importance to spies in the game. What do you think?
      Great idea! Although what happens if you manage to steal a Nuclear Bomber- Level 3 technology when you don't even have a nuclear reactor researched?
      I think in that situation, the game should block technologies that are out of your reach, since it wouldn't make sense for your spies to steal blueprints of a nuclear bomber, when you don't even know how to make a nuclear bomb. He would be like the stupidiest spy ever ajsjajaj.
    • I would rather have it go in the direction of Hoi2 where you only steal the blueprints which wouldnt give you the technology but make the technology take half as long to research.

That way you still need to put in the resources to research it but you could speed research things.

Like you only steal all the theories but you still need to do the practical application research yourself to integrate it into your army.
    • Azkazan wrote:

Chadwik wrote:

Dude, i've never talked about percentages, it's something the experts should decide, as they know better how the game works. Also, there's no need to repeat something you already said, and 2 researching spaces aren't much, as it being there are lots of technologies. Also, every unit is usefull, if not, they wouldn't be researched, you just don't know how to use them or don't realize there are different requirements and costs for each one. For example, AT are usefull to defend a frontier were you don't want to invade, but know there's a possible threat the neighbour sends tanks without advice. As to milicia, they are usefull to produce units in provinces without industrial complex. As I said before, if you don't like the proposition it doesn't means it wouldn't make the game more interesting, and, I think it's more usefull to have a spy to steal technologies than having it to discover how rich the enemy is.
      Sorry for the 3%, it was coming from someone else who replied in this toppic.
      If we look at the stats of the anti-tank researches, we see small increases in damage. Light tanks have bigger damage increase and they have speed increase. They will fall off very hard as the game progresses, menaing you might get stuck with them. If we look at the lvl 1 stats of the anti-tank and light tank, the light tank is way faster and therefor can outmaneuver them. They can simply drive another 12 hours to avoid the antitanks and take some other province. The anti-tank can't keep up because of the lack of speed.It is also impossible to station lots of anti-tank in nearly all your border provinces. It would cost to much manpower and so on, leaving less for an offensive army. A tank on the other hand has the same stats for defense and offense. The bomber can be used in offense and defense. These units (others as well) are capable of doing 2 jobs very well. I find them better defenders as antitanks. Much faster so you can outmaneuver, more allround vs other units and capable off attacking as well.

Militia are very weak if we look at their stats. They can defend in forests vs everything but bombers and tanks (the 2 major offensive weapons in this game). Fight over the controll off cities is still dominated by planes (and possibly anti-air and infantery). Without industrial complex their training time is very long. By the time you got them, you probably don't need them anymore or you lose 5 vs a tank or bomber. You will also have a bigger upkeep for your barracks, which is quite important if we look at how the food is balanced at this moment.

Battle ships (I know you havn't mentioned it) are fairly popular by most players, but I think this is also one of the most useless units. Building this thing means constructing lvl 3 harbour (more oil maintainance), long buildtime, expensive boat in general, high upkeep costs. I have 5+ harbours making ships most of the time. lvl 3 harbour needs 200 oil a day= 4 level 1 harbours. The battleship can only effectively be used to destroy ships. It can attack on land as well, but only bad players leave their units in range of battle ships. A submarine is a lot cheaper, requires lvl 1 harbour, 18 food and 50 oil upkeep/day --> you can easily have 50!!! Slower than the battleship, but that's ok in this case :P , they can defeat them 1v1. Having lvl 3 harbours and battleships will restrict you capabilities to produce enough destroyers and therefor you may be overwhelmed by mass submarines.

Players building or even researching anti-tank or militia show they have never looked into detail to their unit and ask to be conquered.

Stealing technologies can only become a thing if the useless units will receive a buff in order to make them a viable choice, so that players will actually be really forced too choose what research they need most. I think we can safely say some units are not viable atm.

Spying an enemy and being able to see all his troops is quite interesting. Or a long campaign of military sabotage on all his ship producing provinces. If you spy his economy and you see he is low on food and $ you can mkae nice use of that. Nothing as attracktive as economical sabotage (buying counter espionage will cost him lots of money, just as buying the food he will be missing on the market) and at the same time try to influence the market to push the food prices up (in 1 day I pushed food and oil prices too 30$/each by buying the few cheaper ones and selling mine for 30$/each. I made a lot of money because big players with huge armies on the worldmap will have food deficits and possible shortages of oil as well. They were forced too buy mine since they couldn't get cheaper once in time.) At the same time I made an anonymous message in the newpaper about the rise in oil and food prices and since then it hasn't dropped. I also discovered 1 player selling a lot of his resources to a guy with a huge army for 1$, also nice for in the newspaper. All together they form an 9 man alliance, but they don't all get along very well. nr. 10 was eaten a few days ago. By using spies this way you can influence the diplomacy of others in your advantage. Especially the alliances build on poor thrust will fall apart. There is no technology that can replace any of the above information. I know sometimes your spies don't discover much, but most of the time it's a lot of knowledge that will be usefull sooner or later.

And I can confirm that 1 player with 700VP just declared war on everyone. 9% of the worlds army (according to my calculations this would be about double the amount of military she can actually maintain with her food), 9k food 2 days ago and 200k$. I think she was about to run out of resources and I thank my spies for making it possible for me to take this oppertunity to influence the market and allow me too make some anonymous posts in which I target the biggest 5 players (including me and my ally) by exposing weaknesses whithout exactly explaining what causes them. My ally and I have enough economy to sustain our troops off course. Otherwise I would make us vulnerable by doing so.
      Really, i don't want to keep discussing about this, we are just going to disagree all the time. It just would be a new option with spies, which could benefit you, or be bad, spies don't always help you, once i sent false info to my allies to distract enemy spies. It would be just another option, which can give you something really useful, or something you thought useless, it would be part of the game.

On the other hand, if you see how many likes the post has, how recently it has been posted and the responses, I think it's a viable option that is well accepted and liked by a good percentage if the community, so it would be nice if implemented, and it wouldn't affect drastically the playing.
    • It is a good idea, But i will recommend that the Intelligence should include to you the info about your enemy
      technologies .
      I have used intelligent spy's very much and i didn't see any info about my enemy technologies, It will be good if thy add that ability to the intelligent spy.
      七転び八起き 8)
      Always rising after a fall 8)
    • Memo Thunder. wrote:

I have used intelligent spy's very much and i didn't see any info about my enemy technologies, It will be good if thy add that ability to the intelligent spy.
      Why? You can tell what technology they have by looking at their units. It doesnt help to know if they have an atomic bomb, if they already have one. I like how the spies work as is.
    • Sir McSquiggles wrote:

Why? You can tell what technology they have by looking at their units. It doesnt help to know if they have an atomic bomb, if they already have one. I like how the spies work as is.
      So you can know and anticipate what your enemy is going to build and what unit before thy can build it .
      七転び八起き 8)
      Always rising after a fall 8)