Stealing Technologies

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • It'd be better to give an outline of how it worked, makes it seem much more plausible and convincing
      "A knight cannot save the world. They call certain methods of fighting good and others evil, acting as if there were some nobility to the battlefield."

      "Honor? Glory? There's no point in speaking to a killer who indulges in such nonsense."

      "It's a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated"
    • Chadwik wrote:

      It would be interesting if spies in other countries capitals(in intel missions) could steal technologies from the other country. Also, it would give a bigger importance to spies in the game. What do you think?
      Tbh I think the intelligence spies are already great the way they are. No need to make them more important. The suggested change would actually make them less interesting for me.

      To me it is way more valuable to know who his allies are, some intercepted messages, see his resource stocks and what units he is making. I research the usefull technologies myself. I would be dissapointed if an intelligence spy would steal a militia/ anti-tank or other useless technology instead of showing me the players diplomacy stats or how much resources he has of each.

      I'm not in favour of this idea.
    • It's a great idea. I'd be quite interested if it was implemented. I currently use no spies whatsoever except in games which are quite slow, but in the world map, where everything researchable is extremely expensive in terms of rare materials, it would be of great help, as you could save tonnes!
      "You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands." -Jackal (Far Cry 2)

    • Azkazan wrote:

      Chadwik wrote:

      It would be interesting if spies in other countries capitals(in intel missions) could steal technologies from the other country. Also, it would give a bigger importance to spies in the game. What do you think?
      Tbh I think the intelligence spies are already great the way they are. No need to make them more important. The suggested change would actually make them less interesting for me.
      To me it is way more valuable to know who his allies are, some intercepted messages, see his resource stocks and what units he is making. I research the usefull technologies myself. I would be dissapointed if an intelligence spy would steal a militia/ anti-tank or other useless technology instead of showing me the players diplomacy stats or how much resources he has of each.

      I'm not in favour of this idea.
      I think you're being really shortsighted; obviously there's a chance it gets a technology you don't want, but also it can get something you did wanted, but couldn't, because of it's cost or because you didn't have the research space. Also, it would make researching much more competitive, and, it would not be just getting new technologies you don't have, it could also give you technologies that improve the level of your units. And, there obviously should be only a slight chance of getting a technology. And if you don't like if it gets you something you don't want, bad luck, games aren't supposed to be done so that you always get what you want, just use more spies. I honestly think your argument lacks support.
    • Pablo22510 wrote:

      It's a great idea. I'd be quite interested if it was implemented. I currently use no spies whatsoever except in games which are quite slow, but in the world map, where everything researchable is extremely expensive in terms of rare materials, it would be of great help, as you could save tonnes!
      Thanks, it would make the game more dynamic. Also, you would have to be intelligent and more carefull when deciding where to put your spies, since you would have to be cunning enough to know in which country you can get more likely technologies you want, and you would have to be more carefull with counterintelligence.
    • Chadwik wrote:

      Pablo22510 wrote:

      It's a great idea. I'd be quite interested if it was implemented. I currently use no spies whatsoever except in games which are quite slow, but in the world map, where everything researchable is extremely expensive in terms of rare materials, it would be of great help, as you could save tonnes!
      Thanks, it would make the game more dynamic. Also, you would have to be intelligent and more carefull when deciding where to put your spies, since you would have to be cunning enough to know in which country you can get more likely technologies you want, and you would have to be more carefull with counterintelligence.
      Exactly. As I said before, I only use spies to reveal the troops of countries that are hard to attack (e.g. UK) or if the gam is quite slow. Spies need a buff.
      "You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands." -Jackal (Far Cry 2)

    • I dont like the idea. I would hate to have folks gather and steal my technologies. Also, it doesnt sound too realistic for a country to suddenly lose how it develops something. It reminds me too much of Hearts of Iron.... Sorry to burst the bubbles fellas. ^^
    • Sir McSquiggles wrote:

      Also, it doesnt sound too realistic for a country to suddenly lose how it develops something.
      If what you mean by this is that you literally 'steal' the techonology, that the person you steal it from loses the research, that's not what we meant. We just meant we could add a function for a spy that consists of copying blueprints and stuff like that so that your country would get the technology too, not that the other one would lose it. :)
      "You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands." -Jackal (Far Cry 2)

    • Sir McSquiggles wrote:

      But that kinda ruins the point of researching technologies. Why research when you could steal it from your neighbors and max of your technology to the limit of the day? :P
      As the one who thoiught of the idea pointed out, the chance of copying the technology would be low.
      "You can't break a man the way you break a dog, or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands." -Jackal (Far Cry 2)

    • Chadwik wrote:

      I think you're being really shortsighted; obviously there's a chance it gets a technology you don't want, but also it can get something you did wanted, but couldn't, because of it's cost or because you didn't have the research space. Also, it would make researching much more competitive, and, it would not be just getting new technologies you don't have, it could also give you technologies that improve the level of your units. And, there obviously should be only a slight chance of getting a technology. And if you don't like if it gets you something you don't want, bad luck, games aren't supposed to be done so that you always get what you want, just use more spies. I honestly think your argument lacks support.
      I use plenty of spies: espionage/ counter espionage/ economical sabotage and military sabotage. A spy is more usefull than any unit. They are strong already. You can find them under the spy tab.

      Researching is already competitive... Everyone is trying to get the best available stuff for his units as fast as possible. I don't see where it is lacking competitivity at this moment... Please explain...

      3% chance of stealing a technology while staying in the enemies capital would take how many days average for an intelligence spy to steal something? It's a 3% chance that the spy is useless on a certain day and that is still to much for me. Besides, at a certain point many players apply counter espionage in their core provinces, most starting with the capital. This will make it almost impossible for a spies to steal something if they have like 30% chance of being discovered. Replacing them will become quite expensive.

      There is plenty of research space to research what you need for your army. You can't have all and most of it is useless that you don'even want to have. Too many players research anti-tank, militia, battle ships, naval bombers, artillery and other bad things that isn't worth it if you compare it with the stats of other available units. Only usefull things to steal would be the technologies for nucleair weapons and the new upgrade for your units if you havn't got them already yourself after a few days they become available. this would require immense amounts of luck for your spies to pay off with this proposition. But the most likely thing to happen is that after an average of 15 days of spying for each spy you manages to steal militia/anti-tank/battle ship level 1 research. That is just a complete waste of your spy in that round.

      There is no impact on gameplay with what is suggested. Too little chance to pull off and if it is pulled off succesfully, there is most likely no usefull reward, but probably a waste of the spies round, unless it would be able to do it's other stuff.
    • Azkazan wrote:

      Chadwik wrote:

      I think you're being really shortsighted; obviously there's a chance it gets a technology you don't want, but also it can get something you did wanted, but couldn't, because of it's cost or because you didn't have the research space. Also, it would make researching much more competitive, and, it would not be just getting new technologies you don't have, it could also give you technologies that improve the level of your units. And, there obviously should be only a slight chance of getting a technology. And if you don't like if it gets you something you don't want, bad luck, games aren't supposed to be done so that you always get what you want, just use more spies. I honestly think your argument lacks support.
      I use plenty of spies: espionage/ counter espionage/ economical sabotage and military sabotage. A spy is more usefull than any unit. They are strong already. You can find them under the spy tab.
      Researching is already competitive... Everyone is trying to get the best available stuff for his units as fast as possible. I don't see where it is lacking competitivity at this moment... Please explain...

      3% chance of stealing a technology while staying in the enemies capital would take how many days average for an intelligence spy to steal something? It's a 3% chance that the spy is useless on a certain day and that is still to much for me. Besides, at a certain point many players apply counter espionage in their core provinces, most starting with the capital. This will make it almost impossible for a spies to steal something if they have like 30% chance of being discovered. Replacing them will become quite expensive.

      There is plenty of research space to research what you need for your army. You can't have all and most of it is useless that you don'even want to have. Too many players research anti-tank, militia, battle ships, naval bombers, artillery and other bad things that isn't worth it if you compare it with the stats of other available units. Only usefull things to steal would be the technologies for nucleair weapons and the new upgrade for your units if you havn't got them already yourself after a few days they become available. this would require immense amounts of luck for your spies to pay off with this proposition. But the most likely thing to happen is that after an average of 15 days of spying for each spy you manages to steal militia/anti-tank/battle ship level 1 research. That is just a complete waste of your spy in that round.

      There is no impact on gameplay with what is suggested. Too little chance to pull off and if it is pulled off succesfully, there is most likely no usefull reward, but probably a waste of the spies round, unless it would be able to do it's other stuff.
      Dude, i've never talked about percentages, it's something the experts should decide, as they know better how the game works. Also, there's no need to repeat something you already said, and 2 researching spaces aren't much, as it being there are lots of technologies. Also, every unit is usefull, if not, they wouldn't be researched, you just don't know how to use them or don't realize there are different requirements and costs for each one. For example, AT are usefull to defend a frontier were you don't want to invade, but know there's a possible threat the neighbour sends tanks without advice. As to milicia, they are usefull to produce units in provinces without industrial complex. As I said before, if you don't like the proposition it doesn't means it wouldn't make the game more interesting, and, I think it's more usefull to have a spy to steal technologies than having it to discover how rich the enemy is.
    • aDudeWhoDoesThings wrote:

      It'd be better to give an outline of how it worked, makes it seem much more plausible and convincing
      I would do it if I knew better of how spies work, talking about how probable it is to happen, but since I don't, and I probably wouldn't know of what I'm talking, I prefer to just make the suggestion, so that designers, who do know better of the subject, decide what to do with it.
    • Chadwik wrote:

      It would be interesting if spies in other countries capitals(in intel missions) could steal technologies from the other country. Also, it would give a bigger importance to spies in the game. What do you think?
      Great idea! Although what happens if you manage to steal a Nuclear Bomber- Level 3 technology when you don't even have a nuclear reactor researched?
      follow me on instagram @coopswithdahoops

      add me on snapchat @coopswitdahoops

      follow me on twitter @realCooperDavis

      yeahhhhhh