How do you counter an invasion?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• build defencive chokepoints. dont try defence all your provinces.

use defencive units for defence. And quick units for flanking strikes.

Cumulate your strike forces in few strong divisions of at least 8 units each. Flanking sneaker can be 1 till 5 units strong.
      If you attacked by 1vs 1, send one or two divisions on same trail to enemies capitol or Province with goods or food or metall. so you can weak your enemy and interrupt build up new forces in because lack of ressourses.

Dont attack with slow divisions, unless its artillery division. Use militia only for defence, or dont use it else, there are better units with better power output for used ressources. dont use red or even yellow coloured HP bars units, they are damaged and are too slow for attack or reinforcing help. Use red coloured units only for defence, yellow colored could be used help reinforcement. Stack damaged units same type together. stack at least two, max four units same types in stacks for not damaged attacking divisions.

This kind of warfares is for version 1.5 only. Version 1.0 is a little bit different. In Version 1.0 stack only different types of damaged troops together, so they would not be merged and cannibalized. And use at least 3 and no max units types in stacks without max stack size, but with take care about max size of units same types in stack. Version 1.0 has not speed penalties for damaged units, also you can use damaged units in attack too.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Last Warrior ().

• OutsiderJoe wrote:

When I get invaded, I cant really defend

:S :S :S :S
      This could be a likely reason for that: You start out with mostly infantry that have more power on the defence than on the attack. If you then build armoured cars (stronger on defence) and pair them with tanks (stronger on the attack) and start attacking with those combined you will suffer a lot of losses as you play. This is because you are combining defensive troops with assault troops. You are basically throwing away your defences to be able to attack.
      After a while your infantry died and you are left with the tanks and planes you keep building. But that means that your army's attack is a lot stronger than it's defence. What is also a major problem in this is that you use troops that use direct attack. Troops that suffer damage when they do damage. This means that the more you attack, the more HP your army loses overall and the less able you are to hold defensive positions. The solution is quite simple, focus defences first.

The way I do it is focus on defence primarily over assault when starting a map. This means that I can focus on building more defensive troops like anti-tank and anti-air which are cheaper than attacking troops like tanks and planes. This in turn means I can use more resources to grow my economy. Building artillery/rocket artillery is a MUST DO in this scheme. It allows you to attack without taking damage. This way if a player attacks you early game, you have a HUGE advantage.
      They will likely use their defensive troops to attack while you use your troops for what they are good at, defending. If you do go and attack use ranged weapons so you keep your defensive capabilities but still destroy enemy troops. Its slower that way, but it also does not weaken your over all army.

Built the right counter against your enemy, if you can fly over a city, or multiple cities and you see that your neighbour built a lot of tank factories it makes sense to build anti-tank. If you also build tanks and your enemy attacks when you are not there, you are screwed. So have defensive counters to what your enemy has.

Last thing is what @Last Warrior also said, make sure to put your units in good places. It has no use putting 1 unit in every province, you can at least put all your units in your border provinces. Also, if you ally with someone close, when you share map, there is no need to put a lot of units on the border with the player you share map with. That way you have more units to put in other places. Putting units in the right place is incredibly hard, but it is the key to success.

Good luck!
    • Step 1: Make sure you have air superiority. Build enough interceptors or rocket fighters to make sure you control the skies. I usually make just as many interceptors as bombers to guarantee control of the air.
      Step 2: Bombers. Once you have air superiority, you need bombers to destroy ground units. You should get some of each type of bomber (except for strategic). Always group bombers with interceptors or rocket fighters to make sure they don't get destroyed. If you see enemy planes, attack them with interceptors or rocket fighters.
      Step 3: Light, fast, units. Make ACs or LTs to rush the enemy as long as their ground units are destroyed. Try to attack them in unexpected places and make naval landings.
      Step 4: Railroadguns. These are useful to destroy any enemy units that might slip behind the front lines. I usually like to make a sort of Railroadgun Path. Since they are slow, you should build infastructure in some provinces and make them form a line so the railroadguns can move quickly around important areas.
    • Cloudpop2 wrote:

Step 1: Make sure you have air superiority. Build enough interceptors or rocket fighters to make sure you control the skies. I usually make just as many interceptors as bombers to guarantee control of the air.
      Step 2: Bombers. Once you have air superiority, you need bombers to destroy ground units. You should get some of each type of bomber (except for strategic). Always group bombers with interceptors or rocket fighters to make sure they don't get destroyed. If you see enemy planes, attack them with interceptors or rocket fighters.
      Step 3: Light, fast, units. Make ACs or LTs to rush the enemy as long as their ground units are destroyed. Try to attack them in unexpected places and make naval landings.
      Step 4: Railroadguns. These are useful to destroy any enemy units that might slip behind the front lines. I usually like to make a sort of Railroadgun Path. Since they are slow, you should build infastructure in some provinces and make them form a line so the railroadguns can move quickly around important areas.
      This is not really a solid early game strategy at all. Going planes all the way is expensive and leaves your very vulnerable to counters on the ground with enough anti-air protection. This is only advised if you economy is bigger then your enemies and at that point, everything works.
    • Right but at the start of a map there is no such thing as air superiority since no one has air units. If you are the only one building air units you are putting more resources in fewer units that are also vulnerable because they receive damage when they deal damage. Combined with having to spend even more resources on airfields to get them around and expensive research planes are NOT a good idea as a sole focus in the early game.
    • Cloudpop2 wrote:

Ok are we talking about 1.0 or 1.5?
      It goes for both, it is less of a hinderance in 1.5 I agree. But the same problems remain. Planes need airfields, level 1 airfields are vulnerable for destruction so you have to put resources in to build (level 2 where needed) airfields. And planes receive damage when they deliver damage so you need to keep building them. Also, planes do not have a lot of HP. This all combined means planes strain your early game economy a lot.
    • I imagine: someone join 10 hours old game and pick country, wich already under attack.

read forum for help and start 1st step: build up for airsuperiority.

The only step 2 what can follow: killed by invasion, end the round...

P.S. under "invasion" is mean some one get attacked unprepared, otherwise question would sound: how to win early war, not how to defend invasion.
    • I took it more as someone asking how to play more defensively so that they are not easily invaded.

If you start a 10 hours old game and are already under attack I do not think there is a lot you can do. No matter what you build you already lost a portion of your army at that point. Air superiority is also not going to help then, if you already lost provinces then spending on research and troops is almost impossible. Good solution then is, hang around where the games start and join a brand new map :p
    • the point was runing invasion, any kinds of. in worst case if own troops on day 3 are 6 provinces away from cores (what fo sure own fault).
      Like i said invasion is being attacked unprepared. That case is already too late for airsuperiority, but you can do something against without. Not every enemy has airforces in early game.
    • Edepedable wrote:

The way I do it is focus on defence primarily over assault when starting a map. This means that I can focus on building more defensive troops like anti-tank and anti-air which are cheaper than attacking troops like tanks and planes.
      You play too passively. I dislike.
      I blitzkrieg and shock my neighbours in to oblivion. They quit, I get a head start. Win-win.
      I make defensive troops at the same time.
      Mostly applies to 1.0. Not sure about 1.5.

Edepedable wrote:

Going planes all the way is expensive and leaves your very vulnerable to counters on the ground with enough anti-air protection. This is only advised if you economy is bigger then your enemies...

Agreed. And I prepare for an airforce production-plan as early as I could, once I get a head start, I commit to it.

The post was edited 7 times, last by Weids ().

• Weids wrote:

You play too passively. I dislike.
      I like winning, I won 25 maps out of the 39 maps I played so far by being careful and not rushing into everything.

Being cautious enough to gain an advantage is a good way to win maps. There is plenty of room for playing aggressively without throwing your troops into everything in a 'blitzkrieg' type manner. I like to blast my way through my opponents while suffering minimal damage and inflicting maximum damage. When I am done with one player I am still fit to fight the next. Using blitzkrieg tactics is a great way to win battles but it should never be the plan for your entire army.
      Strategy is way more than just blitzkrieg. Same goes for planes, using units for the majority of your fights that suffer damage when they deal damage is not smart. No way you can win a world map like that.

Say you damage your army 10 units worth with every enemy you fight. Meaning losing 10 units that you would not have lost if you had not relied on blitzkrieg. That means that 10 enemies later you could have had 100 more units than you currently have. If you then encounter someone that did do its best to save units you are are 100 units behind. Your economy and airforce can not contest with such an advantage.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Edepedable ().

• It all depends on your activity level, both in general as at the moment you are being invaded. For players that are active just once or twice a day, an air force is a waiste. Application of air power needs you to readjust their dispositions at LEAST every hour when you're in active combat; if you can't do that, don't build it. You need to have air DEFENSE then though, so build AA instead - and LOTS of it, target for 20-40% AA in every stack, cause you WILL meet an air player. Furthermore, for inactive players fearing invasion, build lots of AT, artillery and infantry - cause they will defend their spot if you are online or not. Don't spread them out too much - single units are bound to get overwhelmed; on the other hand, leaving holes in your lines will allow an active enemy to spot them and exploit. For this, you'll need a mobile counterattack force - that means tanks; possibly combined with mobile infantry. Don't disperse them everywhere; keep them in one or two stacks and KEEP THEM IN THE BACK, not in the front ile where they can be attacked in your absence. The idea is to (counter-)ATTACK with them when the front is broken, not defend the line.

When you are more active, the problem of defending against invasion is less urgent. You can see the enemy marching into your provinces; so you can either measure your defences against the incoming enemy force, or decide to evacuate the province and fight another day. For some very, very weird reason, people are less eager to attack you anyway... because you are bigger and more powerful, because you used that activity already and ate your less-active neighbors already... and in this game, like many others, people like to prey on the weak MUCH more than they are willing to stand up against the strong. So make yourself look strong by eating those down in the food chain, look bigger, and invasion will not come t your door... yet.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • 1. Analyze the terrain of your border being attacked.
      2. Find out the amount of troops attacking and their strength.
      3. Find out the amount of troops YOU have and available.
      4. Defend industrial and resource provinces as they allow you to make more troops.
      5. Don’t be afraid to retreat.
    • Edepedable wrote:

1. I like to blast my way through my opponents while suffering minimal damage and inflicting maximum damage.
      2. Using blitzkrieg tactics is a great way to win battles but it should never be the plan for your entire army.
      1. I like Artillery too.

2. Well, you are missing the point.

The most important objective of Blitzkrieg attacks is NOT to eliminate your opponent's armies but to quickly destroy their will to fight. The cleanup should be carried out by artilleries. Blitzkrieg works best with diplomacy. At the diplomatic front, you want to be friendly and sympathetic. Show your respect, and put on a smile only when appropriate : )

@Edepedable is one of those generals that I would rather not have as my neighbour. Fortunately, the majority of players are not even close. Most are either kind of passive or reckless, or they move on when things are looking grim. After all, the point is to have fun :thumbsup:

@Edepedable it all comes down to personal tastes.

K.Rokossovski wrote:

1. For players that are active just once or twice a day, an air force is a waiste.
      2. you'll need a mobile counterattack force - that means tanks; possibly combined with mobile infantry.... KEEP THEM IN THE BACK
      1. Absolutely right. Airforce is not for inactive players.

2. I keep my defending forces in the back too, giving away provinces for invaders to capture. This way, I give my opponent less intel, and I give myself more time to re-organize. Airforce is great for defending. As the invaders spread out to capture provinces, use bombers to pickoff small targets.

The post was edited 6 times, last by Weids ().

• Weids wrote:

1) The most important objective of Blitzkrieg attacks is NOT to eliminate your opponent's armies but to quickly destroy their will to fight.

2) it all comes down to personal tastes.
      1) Ah, well in that manner I do use some 'blitz' tactics here and there. My aim then is to capture valuable resources. If I can take the majority of a players single type of resource then taking it is a good strategy. It makes your opponents ability to counter more predictable. For instance, if you take a lot of a players steel he will be building a lot less tank branch units. I find this more reliable than breaking a players will. Like you said, players are unpredictable. Taking away the right resources gives more certainty, denying a certain type of units to be built and being prepared for the absence of that type of units.
      In this manner my blitzkrieg usually consists of a massive rocket attack to destroy the enemy's morale in certain provinces. If I capture land for blitzkrieg I make sure I can be active for a couple of hours and combine SP (r)artillery units combined with medium tanks and motorised infantry.

2) That is very true! And it is a very cool thing to have in the game.