Release Notes- 2020-11-03

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Release Notes- 2020-11-03

Attention, Generals!

Today’s update brings not just one, but two new map versions to Call of War!

Check out the reworked versions of the “Europe - Road to War” map and the historical “1939 - Blitzkrieg” map that are now available in the game!
      Both maps received a general re-work to adjust them to the new gameplay and to make them better balanced. The new Europe - Road to war map in particular is intended to become the new standard map for competitive matches. Both maps can be created by members of the High Command.

Today’s update also increases the amount of units that can be displayed on a map drastically, changes which stealth units a scout unit can reveal and fixes a considerable amount of bugs. Please take a look at the list below for a complete overview:

New Maps:
      • A new version of the “10 player” Europe - Road to War map was released to Call of War.
        • With Algeria and Egypt added as playable nations, the new version is now a map for 12 players.
        • Syria, Tunisia and Morocco were added as small AI nations on the map.
        • Colonial possessions of France, Italy and the United Kingdom were removed and to balance province count, victory point count and resource production.
        • Core provinces were added or removed for several other countries to balance province count, victory point count and resource production.
        • Ocean paths along all coastlines make raiding with ships a possibility now.
        • Connections were reworked and added to reduce unit travel times.
        • The resource production of provinces was altered and a new balancing was implemented.
      • A new version of the historical 10 player 1939 - Blitzkrieg map was released to Call of War.
        • Ocean paths along all coastlines make raiding with ships a possibility now.
        • Reworked and added connections to reduce unit travel times.
        • Size and positions of provinces were adjusted.
        • The resource production of provinces was altered and a new balancing was implemented.
      Balancing:
      • Scout units now only reveal stealth units that have the same or a lower level.
        • Stealth units with a higher level than the scout unit stay hidden.
      • The likelihood for the AI to attack a province without a garrisoned army was decreased, to make the gameplay of the AI less evasive when attacking. To balance this change, the likelihood of the AI to attack provinces with certain other characteristics (e.g. core province, province with victory points or buildings, etc.) was slightly increased.
      • The movement speed of Submarines and the damage dealt by them against ships was slightly increased.
      • The damage values, production costs and research costs of Armored Cars were slightly adjusted.
      • Production and research costs for Light Tanks were slightly altered.
      • All units are rewarded with more ranking points for destroying stronger units’ than weaker units.
      • The above changes only affect new game rounds
      General:
      • As silence means security, the newspaper no longer reports about new units a nation builds.
      • To allow players to avoid spending gold by mis-tapping on mobile, a confirmation popup can now be enabled in the game settings (“Confirm gold actions”).
      • The maximum number of armies that can be displayed on a map was increased by 50% to avoid more cases with invisible armies.
      Bug Fixes:
      • An issue was fixed that could cause units to move to the next closest intersection and back when sending a unit to a waypoint on a map.
      • A bug was fixed that caused paratroopers to lose their doctrine specific modifiers, when converted to an infantry or plane.
      • An issue was resolved that could cause textures and colors for ocean terrains to be missing on some maps.
      • A bug was fixed that prevented the patrol circle and patrol cone from being displayed for other player’s airplanes.
      • A problem was resolved that caused ships getting stuck at sea for some accounts. In those rare cases, players received an error message when trying to move affected ships.
      • A bug was fixed that caused the opacity of the patrol circle to be too low and made the highlighted area hard to see on the map.
      • A problem was solved that could cause graphical glitches to randomly appear on the World map, that were related to army vision.
      • A bug was fixed that prevented the Army Bar to display the correct travel time of planes when new orders were given to the plane.
      • An issue was resolved that caused the top of the diplomacy list to overlap the top player information in certain languages.
      • A bug was fixed that caused the production list to automatically close when opening the 'Unit info' popup. When closing the ‘Unit info’ popup the player now gets back to the production list again.
      • An issue was resolved on desktop that caused the "Find open alliances" button to overlap with the tabs in the "Ranking" menu, and the search box to be misaligned when a player was browsing in the Alliances sub-menu.
      • A bug on mobile was fixed that could cause the Army Bar icons to overlap the morale boost button after a spy reveal action was done by the player.
      • A problem on Android devices was solved that caused the world map to appear and get stuck after using the Android back button in the shop.
      • A bug was fixed that caused the Army Bar to always display a unit's base speed value no matter the territory the unit was moving on. The Army Bar now displays the actual speed of the army.
      • A bug was fixed that could cause the peace period icon to be missing when joining a game while the peace period was still active in the game round.
      We hope you like the new maps, changes and bug fixes of today’s update and wish you all the best on the battlefield.

Your Bytro Team

Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
      Felix / Alkyonor
      Community Manager
      Bytro Labs GmbH
    • Yes, lvl1 Armored Cars can reveal all other lvl1 stealth units on land, including lvl1 Commandos.

It might not be fair but it is better than the situation before, where lvl1 scouts could reveal all levels.
      Plus it is easier to remember that the same level is needed to reveal than to have different rules for every unit. That would quickly become confusing, especially considering the different availability days due to Doctrines.
      We know that this new system is not perfect but it is still more fair than the previous iteration. We might overhaul the stealth mechanics at some point in the future perhaps to include a point system or something of the sort.

Btw. the changes listed under "Balancing" in the news only apply to newly created game rounds. I added it to the text.
      • To allow players to avoid spending gold by mis-tapping on mobile, a confirmation popup can now be enabled in the game settings (“Confirm gold actions”).
      When will this feature be added to PC, this is not just an issue for mobile. Just yesterday while looking at my spy report for the day and removing spies I accidentally hit revel all armies on a nation I had had a successful mission that did just that. That is 9+K gold gone down the toilet for nothing, which btw is more than I will receive for my coalition win on the map I am playing (100 player World at War).
      "Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the later than the former. Space we can recover, lost time never." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." ~ Erwin Rommel
    • Edepedable wrote:

freezy wrote:

Plus it is easier to remember that the same level is needed to reveal than to have different rules for every unit.
      So will level 6 anti-tank and level 6 tank destroyers be invisible to armoured cars level 5 then? Meaning that only level 6 motorised infantry will be able to spot every stealth ground unit?
      Indeed. Interceptors can also reveal stealth land units though.

S Schmidt wrote:

When will this feature be added to PC, this is not just an issue for mobile. Just yesterday while looking at my spy report for the day and removing spies I accidentally hit revel all armies on a nation I had had a successful mission that did just that. That is 9+K gold gone down the toilet for nothing, which btw is more than I will receive for my coalition win on the map I am playing (100 player World at War).
      Sorry for the experience that you had there.
      We don't know yet so I can't give you a date.
      It was more urgent on mobile because there precision of clicks and screen size is much lower on mobile than on desktop, so it was much more likely to do these mis-clicks on mobile than on desktop (not saying it can't happen on desktop).
      Maybe we have some time in the near future to add it to desktop as well.
    • freezy wrote:

Yes, lvl1 Armored Cars can reveal all other lvl1 stealth units on land, including lvl1 Commandos.

It might not be fair but it is better than the situation before, where lvl1 scouts could reveal all levels.
      Plus it is easier to remember that the same level is needed to reveal than to have different rules for every unit. That would quickly become confusing, especially considering the different availability days due to Doctrines.
      We know that this new system is not perfect but it is still more fair than the previous iteration. We might overhaul the stealth mechanics at some point in the future perhaps to include a point system or something of the sort.

Btw. the changes listed under "Balancing" in the news only apply to newly created game rounds. I added it to the text.
      Maybe you can work around this limitation by making Commando and Paratroopers starting directly at level 4 (so no level 1-2-3). Sadly, as they stand, I think Commandos while not useless are very sub-par in 1.5 (typically vs motorized)
    • Its not only a naming issue, those level numbers are generated automatically in alot of panels. So we would need to rework multiple interfaces first and insert some custom logic that certain units can start with later levels. So probably not happening in the near future

I find the Commandos in 1.5 pretty worthwhile. Sure they are beaten by Motorized Inf but that is intentional, every unit must have a counter unit. Otherwise they are pretty flexible cos they are stealth on all terrain and you don't need a capital anymore to produce them.
      One could argue that they were a bit too OP stats wise in 1.0. So we gave them more realistic stats and differentiated them via the stealth.
    • freezy wrote:

Its not only a naming issue, those level numbers are generated automatically in alot of panels. So we would need to rework multiple interfaces first and insert some custom logic that certain units can start with later levels. So probably not happening in the near future

I find the Commandos in 1.5 pretty worthwhile. Sure they are beaten by Motorized Inf but that is intentional, every unit must have a counter unit. Otherwise they are pretty flexible cos they are stealth on all terrain and you don't need a capital anymore to produce them.
      One could argue that they were a bit too OP stats wise in 1.0. So we gave them more realistic stats and differentiated them via the stealth.
      Indeed, in 1.0 they were clearly OP. In 1.5 I am still to really test them to be honest, they don't seem very taunting for now.
    • freezy wrote:

Their hefty price still means no one makes nothing but commandos. Since their level ups are limited you get a lot of unit for the research being done. They serve a more specific purpose now whereas in 1.0 they were just all around the best infantry unit. At the moment they are the single best answer on the ground to counter tank destroyers. Also, when used in beneficial terrain they really still outshine most other units.

I like the changes made to them, it requires a lot more thinking and makes their use a lot more circumstantial.
    • Motorized infantry does a better job against heavy armor than Commando except
      - if the TD is not moving (so you can only use attack and Commando is 10% better),
      - in Mountain (but rare) and granted in Forest,
      If the TD is accompanied by a light armor or infantry, the motorized infantry does miles better.

In addition, Mot. absolutely outperform Commandos vs infantry and vs light armor. They go faster including in Mountains and Forests.

I can see myself using Commandos if I am like Tibet, but apart from that I will usually go for Motorized...

... which is fine, because Commandos are supposed to be a specialized unit that you use for a specific plan, not 15% of your frontline as it could be before.

Sadly the fact that it is not sneaky-sneaky vs level 2 scouts reduce the number of situations where commando is useful.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chimere ().

• Chimere wrote:

Motorized infantry does a better job against heavy armor than Commando except
      - if the TD is not moving (so you can only use attack and Commando is 10% better),
      - in Mountain (but rare) and granted in Forest,
      If the TD is accompanied by a light armor or infantry, the motorized infantry does miles better.

In addition, Mot. absolutely outperform Commandos vs infantry and vs light armor. They go faster including in Mountains and Forests.

I can see myself using Commandos if I am like Tibet, but apart from that I will usually go for Motorized...

... which is fine, because Commandos are supposed to be a specialized unit that you use for a specific plan, not 15% of your frontline as it could be before.

Sadly the fact that it is not sneaky-sneaky vs level 2 scouts reduce the number of situations where commando is useful.
      Commandos are stronger than motorised against light and heavy armour on every buildable level around the same time.
      Also, Commando's have a total of 3 upgrades where motorised have 6 levels. For level 6 motorised infantry you spend 143 hours of research, for level 3 commandos you spend 96. Without the elite levels it is 101 for motorised at level 5 and 50 hours for level 2 commando's. That is quite a difference.
      Note that they both have the same amount of HP at level 5 vs level 2 time and that commandos do higher damage against light armour and heavy armour. On top of that they have a 50% bonus in 2 types of landscape and motorised infantry has 25% bonus in 2 types of landscape.

They both have their place as infantry assault units, but there is plenty that commandos are better at than motorised infantry. If there is a lot of forrest around they combine great with paratroopers on the ground against divisions that have low power output against infantry.
    • Dang this is embarassing.

I misread the "Light Armor" stats for some reason. It is weird because I really checked it before writing my part, and well, for some reason I must have jumped a line or my brain was so convinced they sucks against Light that I did not recheck

For the rest, I don't think time to research is that much of a problem as it cost a lot more to research Motorized for all levels, but in early levels (day 1-3) research are short enough I don't feel limited, and by the time Commandos are available you probably have a bunch of motorized (if you go that route).

I think +50% in mountains is way less valuable than +25% in plains, especially when the motorized chooses where it fights. Would be interesting to check the distribution of provinces between hills/forests/plains/mountains/cities

Nonetheless, misreading the Light Armor stats changes my opinion significately. Maybe I should test them eventually... but it just does not fit it in my fast moving unit line-up. Maybe if oil was more rare after a rebalancing, I would use less fast units and Commando would be reinforced.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chimere ().

• Chimere wrote:

I think +50% in mountains is way less valuable than +25% in plains, especially when the motorized chooses where it fights. Would be interesting to check the distribution of provinces between hills/forests/plains/mountains/cities

Nonetheless, misreading the Light Armor stats changes my opinion significately. Maybe I should test them eventually... but it just does not fit it in my fast moving unit line-up. Maybe if oil was more rare after a rebalancing, I would use less fast units and Commando would be reinforced.
      For me it depends what my country produces a lot of. If its food, I will likely have all infantry types. More often then not this does not include militia unless I am on the defence and can spare the losses to weaken the enemy. If not, then probably only motorised, normal infantry and usually still commandos. I typically use them for exactly what history used them for. Somewhat suicidal missions into difficult terrain. They are usually the unit I use to go around over the ocean and land in a mountain province by the sea somewhere and from there conquer a few cities and wreak havoc.
      Their lack of speed is not a problem for me since I use them with other units around their speed. Meaning other infantry or slow machines like heavy tanks. Or, if I need different armour class and higher attack against infantry outside a forrest even mechanised infantry where the loss of speed for the mechanised is just a slight setback for the better armour and stat distribution.

Due to their stealth and 'speed' in mountains commandos also have a lot to choose. Problem I typically have with motorised infantry is their lack of HP. Sure using them in plains helps, but it helps tanks a lot more. Normal infantry does the same in cities. So I feel that in order to truly shine the motorised infantry performs best in the absence of certain units in plains and urban areas. Commandos do not suffer this problem in the terrain they are good at, they are the only ones that do that well in mountains.

I typically have 2 types of divisions speed wise, fast divisions and slow ones. The buff commandos give to the slow divisions is quite welcome at times. Since I always want to do more research, having a level 2 infantry unit that gets 50HP is a big help for me. If nothing else it soaks damage nicely with few hours of research spent.