Field Hospitals?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Field Hospitals?

I also play the bytro game Conflict of Nations (CoN) and I have noticed that they have added in a function called field hospitals that heal units. I know that other players have already posted about creating 'engineers' or 'medics' and this idea is similar. In CoN the field hospital is an immobile building that gives back a unit a minor portion of its health per day and also provides a minor moral boost.

What do y'all think?
  • whowh wrote:

I also play the bytro game Conflict of Nations (CoN)
    First of all, CoN is not a Bytro game, it is a Dorado game.
    The mobile application is a "collaboration".
    So, I also think it is a good idea to implement field hospitals, but I think it will be difficult to balance in terms of resources and time to build. And if you want to add a moral boost, you will have to modify the propaganda office.
  • CoN balanced hospitals would be very imbalanced in CoW. Because they heal ammount of HP each 12 hours (lvl 1 has 1 HP a Day or 0.5 each 12 hours) , not 14% of inflikted damage to unit like in CoW now. So you can have undead (unkillable) units in CoN, if you draw back them in hospital lvl5 at right time. For CoN it's ok, since they have other economic balance and warfare mechanics, for CoW impossible unballance.
  • Last Warrior wrote:

CoN balanced hospitals would be very imbalanced in CoW. Because they heal ammount of HP each 12 hours (lvl 1 has 1 HP a Day or 0.5 each 12 hours) , not 14% of inflikted damage to unit like in CoW now. So you can have undead (unkillable) units in CoN, if you draw back them in hospital lvl5 at right time. For CoN it's ok, since they have other economic balance and warfare mechanics, for CoW impossible unballance.

The CoW version of a field hospital doesn't have to heal a fixed amount.
    It can add 5% to the 15% heal of inflicted damage, for example.
    A level 5 hospital could heal faster, or it could heal more units at once.
    The capacity could scale like aircraft carriers scale to more planes.
    And it could be limited to infantry units, if need be, to avoid healing planes and tanks.
  • Hospitals make no sense, how do you “heal” a plane or a tank? It makes the game seem like a children’s fantasy instead of a logical strategy game. The existing replenishment mechanic operates very much like the reality of the time period.
    War is a game that is played with a smile. If you can't smile, grin. If you can't grin keep out of the way til you can. - Winston Churchill

VorlonFCW
    Retired from Bytro staff as of November 30, 2020.

>>> Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket <<<
  • VorlonFCW wrote:

Hospitals make no sense, how do you “heal” a plane or a tank? It makes the game seem like a children’s fantasy instead of a logical strategy game. The existing replenishment mechanic operates very much like the reality of the time period.

How does a tank regiment "heal" overnight, far from any source of men or equipment?
    That's far less realistic than healing next to a structure, which you have to pay for and wait for.
    Don't call it a hospital, call it a supply depot. It will make more sense.

Sort of like motorized infantry.
    A truck covered in canvas has elite attack stats? Stupid.
    Rename the unit Assault Infantry, give the infantry some flamethrowers, and it starts to make sense.
  • VorlonFCW wrote:

Hospitals make no sense, how do you “heal” a plane or a tank? It makes the game seem like a children’s fantasy instead of a logical strategy game. The existing replenishment mechanic operates very much like the reality of the time period.
    All units heal 15% at day change, even ships in the middle of the ocean get repaired somehow. How is that realistic?
    BMfox
    EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
  • Well ships can repair themselves to a certain extent. Deep sea vessels usually have a full engineering crew along with a machine shop, tools and Spare parts. A ship can patch up holes in the hull and replace broken parts the problem is when the spare parts run out or when it’s something too big to have a spare EX. A Boiler.

So yes a ship can repair it self in the middle of the Ocean although it’s not realistic that it can repair itself to 100% every time since when in combat due to the inherent chaos of it eventually something will break that the crew can not repair on its own without a shipyard.

I’m not saying that we should have to bring our Navy into port for repairs in CoW or taking a side for or against field hospitals just adding a few facts to the discussion.
    “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
  • Habo778 wrote:

Well ships can repair themselves to a certain extent. Deep sea vessels usually have a full engineering crew along with a machine shop, tools and Spare parts. A ship can patch up holes in the hull and replace broken parts the problem is when the spare parts run out or when it’s something too big to have a spare EX. A Boiler.

So yes a ship can repair it self in the middle of the Ocean although it’s not realistic that it can repair itself to 100% every time since when in combat due to the inherent chaos of it eventually something will break that the crew can not repair on its own without a shipyard.

I’m not saying that we should have to bring our Navy into port for repairs in CoW or taking a side for or against field hospitals just adding a few facts to the discussion.
    I mean your perception of how it should work, does indicate that even the current system is illogical though.
  • Yes the current system is technically unrealistic for Naval healing but we do need to keep in mind that at a certain point realism must be sacrificed in order to maintain balance and to generally keep the game fun. I don’t intend to chose a stance on field hospitals because I think disbanding units should be a bigger priority. I just want to share my knowledge in order to maintain a healthy dialog and educate the general population.
    “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
  • I wonder about whether this could be tweaked to make it work.

Previous commentators are correct that some units in the real world would be able to fix themselves up to some extent (engineers on ships, mechanics deployed with armor units, medics with infantry) but there is a reason that we have bases behind front lines for big hospitals and mechanics shops, as well as shipyards and docks: these places can do a lot more repair/healing than front-line personnel can do in terms of capacity, speed, and complexity of the issue to be addressed.

In order to avoid bringing in a full new building, I wonder about doing this:

Part 1: Once a unit's health begins dropping, limit its ability to heal "in-field" to 15% higher (objective health, not percentage of damage) than the lowest point of health it reached. So, that means that if a unit remains at 85% health or higher, it can heal back to 100% health "in-field," but if it takes damage down to 75%, it can only heal itself back to 90% in-field. This makes sense because if a unit only takes light damage, it is something the in-field personnel can handle, but if they start taking more damage, then more critical things are breaking and you need more specialized personnel to handle it, which requires the more advanced facilities.

Part 2: Have slots for repair/healing in the places that produce the troops (only those places that produce the troops can heal/repair that kind of unit), with the number of slots and the speed of the healing/repair, as well as the minimum amount of health that a unit must have to be assisted by that place, improving with the building level. So, for example, a level 1 barracks could have 2 slots and heal infantry an objective 10% per day (not 10% of damage, an objective 10% of the unit's maximum health) and require that the unit have at least 50% health to be able to heal. Level 2 could have 3 slots, heal 12.5% per day, and a health floor of 40%. Level 3 could be 4 slots, 15% per day, floor of 30%. Level 4 could be 5 slots, 17.5% per day, 20%. Level 5 would be 6 slots, 20% per day, no floor. This would reflect the fact that more advanced hospitals can handle more advanced health issues. These numbers could be adjusted, I'm not married to any of them, I am simply trying to illustrate a concept. This way of doing things reflects the real-life fact that there are differing levels of healthcare facilities that can give more or less advanced care, depending on the team and the equipment present.

Another possible tweak to this idea is to make it an objective number of health points that are healed instead of percentages of overall health. So, for example, if you put a heavy tank in for repairs, it will heal 5 health points (arbitrary number) just a like a light tank, even though it is a smaller percentage of the heavy tank's health. This would reflect the reality that it takes a longer time to repair a bigger, stronger unit and preserve the low cost and flexibility advantage of the lighter units. Without that tweak, the healing would screw heavily towards people producing, or at least only healing, big, heavy units.

For those who worry that this would make gold and instant field healing too valuable, perhaps you eliminate the ability to heal in-field with gold, or at least in-combat, but permit the use of gold to speed the healing process when a unit is in these buildings, just like being able to speed unit production. That way gold still has value and Bytro still makes money, but it does not become overpowered, with the gold users doing instant, in-field healing to full health while everyone else takes massive treks back to base to heal their units.

The model above, where it happens at day-change, would require less change to the game mechanics and be simpler. However, if Bytro is willing to put in the effort, the alternative mechanic would be that instead of healing the full amount at the change of day, the healing is spread out through the day and happens in real-time, like unit production does. This has three advantages over the day-change model. First, if the gold change is adopted, it makes more sense of the whole "speed healing" piece. Second, the fact that the healing is a process that happens over time allows someone to be more flexible about when they take the unit out and put it back in combat. If a unit is "good enough" and the enemy is approaching, taking it out for combat 5 minutes before the day change does not have the same cost as the day-change healing model, which would make it so that the unit did not benefit at all if it was taken out too early, no matter how long it had been there. Third, this model is more realistic, and added realism is a plus.

Any of the models above, if adopted, would give an additional incentive to make the troop-producing buildings higher levels. Right now, most players that I see do not build these buildings to very high levels, because their economies cannot produce enough resources to churn out as many troops as the buildings can produce at that rate. It would also help slow down advances a little bit, which currently can take over vast swathes of territory very quickly, take substantial damage, heal in-field, and keep going without ever having to return to base. It would also add another element of logistics/planning importance to the game, as opposed to strictly massing firepower, and would make strategic bombing with rockets and strategic bombers far more important than it currently is. That means that the game less favors the tactician and more the strategic planner.

Thoughts?

The post was edited 3 times, last by King Edmund the Just ().