Adding economics and geopolitics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Adding economics and geopolitics

In Call of War, I have noticed that a lot of people say "I am going for economic not military" well thats doesnt happen in CoW, You just build units and make them attack people. But what if we changed that?

1. When you trade with someone, you get the resources automatically in 2 seconds. But what if, those trades spawn in your ports and become cargo ships and go to the country of destination, but only if that country has a coastline, so basically if I was Oman and Ko3rea was sending supplies to Iraq, I can destroy those cargo ships from going to Iraq, so I would be crippling Iraq's economy. If the country is land lock it will show a cargo ship going to a coastline to said country and then it will turn into a truck full of supplies.

2. We should create economic dependency, So each country has their own economic dependency, so Australia has legit 0 oil, then they will have to trade with Saudi Arabia. Like the Netherlands is pretty weak in the game, because they don't have a large army, but they can become a economic superpower by influencing global trade, Also when a country invades another country, this will have a HUGE impact one everybodies gameplay.

3. Economic coalitions, so basically the economic coalition button will be next to the normal coalition button but instead, it will have two hands shaking each others. So basically in the economic coalition chat, there is only trade button, where people propose trade offers and deals. It also makes the countries dependent on each other, so if Brazil's economy goes through a crisis after a 16 day war with Argentina, this will affect India's economy as they are dependent on Brazil for rare materials and plus when your in a economic coalition your resource levels will increase. (just coalitions, but economic based)

4. Embargoes actually mean SOMETHING! when you embargo someone, its like nothing happened! But when a group embargos you like 3-10 people. This will start to affect your economy, your resources will decrease heavily. So your coalitions can embargo people.

5. Countries will have more resources than others. Iran will have more oil than France and UK combined, this will balance the game, as the middle east will have more oil than South America, but South America will have more metal. As Germany in Historic world war is famous for their unit numbers, a another country will be famous for their resourc
    • The concept of logistics I suggested months ago and was shot down in flames by some players who basically said "We are generals not logistics officers". How dumb can you get. Wthout resources you cant fight! doh!

To my mind the next upgrade of CoW should only make the natural resources available in the province they are 'found' and you should transport them by sea, air road and rail (also said can we have rail lines) to the production centres. That way you can sink them, strafe them etc.

That is what war is about, denying your enemy not only battle forces tanks, ships, men, planes but the economic resources too by preventing them being moved.

As usual CoW seems a little too concerned with doctrines and some technicalities and ignores the - to me - blindingly obvious.
    • I like logistical game, but I prefer CoW to remain simple as it is without adding a layer of "international trade". In addition to the fact that it complexify the game several folds. In addition, it creates very obvious problem if the players that are let's say "rich in oil" are inactive or just too newbie to communicate, understand what they have to do.

IF they add something like logistics, it should be a simplified version, eg "units that at the end of the day are not connected to the capital are isolated and lose HP, units that are not connected to capital through infrastructure level 1 don't get HP, and units that are connected to capital fully through infrastructure level 1 2 3 gain hp depending on said infrastructure). ..

... but even then it would be lackluster because you could just put infrastructure through a mountain and be done with it. Still, it would create interesting cases where you try to isolate enemy units and force them to retreat this way.
    • I believe that there should be diverse resources where some countries have more or less of one kind then another. But this is already in the game and it actually encourages international trade. Anyone that wants to make a huge army usually has to import resources they are lacking eventually and usually exports the surplus in order to make extra cash to import even more resources they lack. I say the logistics are pretty good as long as they allow you to improve resource production and have surplus and scarcity (as long as there is not too much scarcity because then you can’t build anything).
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
    • Chimere wrote:

I like logistical game, but I prefer CoW to remain simple as it is without adding a layer of "international trade". In addition to the fact that it complexify the game several folds. In addition, it creates very obvious problem if the players that are let's say "rich in oil" are inactive or just too newbie to communicate, understand what they have to do.

IF they add something like logistics, it should be a simplified version, eg "units that at the end of the day are not connected to the capital are isolated and lose HP, units that are not connected to capital through infrastructure level 1 don't get HP, and units that are connected to capital fully through infrastructure level 1 2 3 gain hp depending on said infrastructure). ..

... but even then it would be lackluster because you could just put infrastructure through a mountain and be done with it. Still, it would create interesting cases where you try to isolate enemy units and force them to retreat this way.
      We can fix that, when AI takes over they will trade more often