New alternative to Canvas - Release Notes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New alternative to Canvas - Release Notes

Release Notes - 2020-12-01

Attention, Generals!

Today we introduce the new “Low Graphics Mode” in Call of War. This new mode is designed to help player’s that experience performance issues when playing on older mobile devices and as a replacement for “Canvas”. “Canvas” is the old graphic mode that is not the standard advanced graphic mode with advanced rendering. The new “Low Graphics Mode” not only reduces performance requirements, which is handy for mobile users on the go, but also allows traditional Canvas players to switch over to the superior webgl version of Call of War while still enjoying more simplified graphics. The new “Low Graphics Mode” can be found in the account settings on Mobile and Desktop.

The Advisor which appears straight after a new player starts the tutorial is getting a new modern design with improved usability, additional new tasks and rewards. This will improve the introduction of new players to the game and explain more aspects of the game. Existing players will be able to complete the new tasks as well, so you do not miss out on any reward.

We also improved the tablet version of the game by changing the way interfaces are displayed and by offering the ability to play in horizontal position. If you like playing the mobile version on a bigger screen we highly recommend you check it out!

For a complete overview of today’s release please check the list below:

Balancing:
      • Damage values of early level Mechanized Infantry units were slightly decreased to bring them more in line with other units unlocked on the same days.
      • Manpower costs of Mechanized Infantry units were slightly increased to bring manpower requirements more in line with other Infantry units.
      • Damage values of Light Tanks against light armor units were slightly increased for later levels to make them more viable in mid game.
      • These changes only affect new game rounds. Game rounds created before today's release and “Classic” game rounds are not affected by these changes.
      General:
      • The Low Graphics Mode was implemented for desktop and mobile players.
        • The graphics mode can be activated and deactivated in the account settings.
        • Certain low end devices will automatically be put into low graphics mode. Unfortunately, those devices will not be able to switch back to the regular mode right now.This might change with a later update.
      • A new advisor Layout was implemented on desktop and mobile, including a lot of new tasks rewarding new players for staying active
        • Newly added tasks will also be visible to all existing players, allowing all players to complete these tasks and receive the rewards as well.
      • The filters in the newspaper were reworked to reflect recently made changes to the game.
        • The economics filter was removed from the newspaper in game rounds where buildings are only visible to players when revealed by units or spy actions.
        • The “enemies & allies” filter was split in two separate filters: One filter for Enemies and one filter for Allies.
      Bug Fixes:
      • An issue was resolved that caused the number of coalitions created on mobile to be displayed incorrectly in the army bar on desktop.
      • We fixed a bug on the 1939 Blitzkrieg map that caused Damascus being the capital of France at the start of the game. Paris is now the capital of France on this map again.
        • We fixed multiple connection and name issues on several other maps as well.
      • An issue was resolved that caused the movement lines of units to be displayed too bold on the map.
      • We fixed a bug that prevented several forum features (incl. Language selection) from working when entering the forums via Steam. All forum features are working as intended now when entering the forum playing via Steam.
      • An issue was resolved that could cause the popup that appears after confirming a gold transaction to be misplaced when a player tried to construct buildings with gold due to a lack of resources.
      • We resolved an issue that could cause an error message to be displayed for some players when they were trying to enter a map.
      We hope you like the new advisor and the Low Graphics Mode, and that these new features help your efforts on the battlefield!

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • Just a quick question, does the new adviser/tutorial say that a unit stack only moves as fast as its slowest unit because it’s always the first thing I tell new players and it’s vital knowledge in order to use most advanced strategies.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
    • Habo778 wrote:

Just a quick question, does the new adviser/tutorial say that a unit stack only moves as fast as its slowest unit because it’s always the first thing I tell new players and it’s vital knowledge in order to use most advanced strategies.
      The Adviser isnt giving an in-depth tutorial on tactics and maneuvers. It is rather about making the player familiar with all interfaces and the game flow, basically making sure he/she keeps producing, researching and constructing, while giving some tips along the way. We don't have much task logic implemented yet in terms of army control and combat etc, so advanced troop management or combat knowledge didn't fit into the current tasks yet.
      This said we are currently working on a game wiki where information like this is presented. It will probably be a better destination for teaching in-depth knowledge.
    • freezy wrote:

This said we are currently working on a game wiki where information like this is presented. It will probably be a better destination for teaching in-depth knowledge.
      Glad to hear that. It would be nice to have one place to direct new players instead of linking a dozen forum articles. But I still think that the tutorial could deliver more advice in the form of tips.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)

The post was edited 3 times, last by Habo778 ().

• Habo778 wrote:

freezy wrote:

Glad to hear that. It would be nice to have one place to direct new players instead of linking a dozen forum articles. But I still think that the tutorial could deliver some basic advice in the form of “tips”.

Agreed with this suggestion.

It's not enough to describe all the features. New player guides encourage players to improve/research too much, too soon. Resources get used up quickly and the player is a sitting duck. New players who try to follow these instructions to "try everything" lose so badly, they get discouraged and leave the game.

It's important to help them get started "safely". Produce cheap units at the start of the game. Learn how to stack. Learn how to move. Learn how to use terrain. Learn how attack/defend effectively. Don't even try to research advanced units like ships and planes until you can defend your country from an infantry rush.

After the new player learns basic game play, only *then* get into more advanced buildings, units, and tactics.

The game play has to come first, or nothing makes sense.
    • Akulla3D wrote:

With respect to the IPAD app, I am not able to figure out how to go to Landscape mode. As it doesnt do it automatically and I havent found a button or something to do that.

Thanks.

Ak3D
      Hey, thanks for the report. It's a known issue with the app version. Going to landscape mode is actually possible if you use the browser version on your tablet. This will be resolved most likely with the next release.
    • The new texture update fails to impress

<p>This update sucks. I have nothing but lag, the games crash, and I can't tell who I'm at war with. Before any of you say, "Well, you should stop sucking." or, "Check your operating system noob." I have done that already. It's not on my end. The update sucks and I hat the textures. I can see the travel routes any more either. And the meaning of "alternative" means you can pick and choose the canvas you use. If that's the case, where can I change it?</p><p>Frankly, if there isn't a way to use the old canvas, chance it back to the system that already works. This update really failed to deliver and the different colors make things harder on those of us that have been here a while. I am very disappointed and will struggle in my current games until they're finished.</p>
    • Starfleet72 wrote:

<p>This update sucks. I have nothing but lag, the games crash, and I can't tell who I'm at war with. Before any of you say, "Well, you should stop sucking." or, "Check your operating system noob." I have done that already. It's not on my end. The update sucks and I hat the textures. I can see the travel routes any more either. And the meaning of "alternative" means you can pick and choose the canvas you use. If that's the case, where can I change it?</p><p>Frankly, if there isn't a way to use the old canvas, chance it back to the system that already works. This update really failed to deliver and the different colors make things harder on those of us that have been here a while. I am very disappointed and will struggle in my current games until they're finished.</p>
      I have none of those problems. So it must be hardware/software related. I think you should provide som info about your system or they won't have a chance figuring out what part of the patch is inadequate.
    • We are not aware of any widespread graphics problems with the last update. It seems indeed to be rather a local problem on your end. You can write a bug ticket if you want to receive personal support, because threads like this are not really the place for that.

You can try to toggle the "enhanced graphics view" in the game settings (within the menu in the lower right corner), as well as the "low graphics mode". perhaps you ended up in a "wrong" mode accidentally.

It is also possible that your device specs were recogniced as being low, in which case you will be assigned into the low mode automatically.

Additionally, colors on the map can be changed by switching the view mode in the game settings. There is political view, relation view and morale view, all making country colors displayed differently. So if you are not satisfied with the colors, please check out these modes.
    • Hi all,

My graphics work fine and I am liking the new updates!!

Just one UI request I have when zoomed into the map.

It would be nice to have a button similar to remove resources button the old version that also removed capital names too. Because when you zoom in its hard to see what is going on in the map when there are a lot of units in the mix.

See my attachment for example, where it says Damascus it is hard to tell what units are under it and to click on different items. It even gets more confusing when you might have enemy units there too.

So something that removes all text and resource indicators but leave units would be awesome.

As always thanks for the hard work on my favorite game.

AK3
      Images
      • Capture.JPG

287.57 kB, 1,873×907, viewed 4 times
    • If you zoom in closer those city labels and resource icons will automatically fade out to show only the units, helpful when there is a cluster of units near cities. Since this already works automatically we probably won't release separate view options for this anytime soon.
    • hey freezy i think allied interceptors need a little buff.

the interceptor by their own are ok but since allied doctrine is more dependent on air force, if the enemy just produce interceptors it would be very hard for allies use their tactical bombers bcuz they have to keep just producing interceptor, you can win eventually but at the cost of not producing enought bombers.
      "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"