Weather Cycle

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Weather Cycle

Should this be added to Call of War? 30
        Yes. (20) 67%
        No (10) 33%
      In Call of War all hours days and weeks have the same mechanics. There should be a change to add a weather and season cycle. So, on a day from 6 am - 6 pm GMT it will all be same, however from 6 pm - 6 am GMT, unit visibility will be reduced and the map will become darker to show the day-night cycle.
      Similarly there would be weather/seasons like
      1) Summer - Normal
      2) Spring - 10% more food will grow.
      3) Monsoon - Unit movement will decrease by 10%.
      4) Autumn - 10% less food will grow.
      5) Winter - 10% bonus to defending, another 10% if defending in mountains/hills, 10% less damage when attacking, 10% less damage to attacking in mountains/hills, Unit movement decrease by 10%.
      These seasons may be set according to real life seasons going on.

In accordance to the season there is going to be a weather that will change hourly.
      1) Sunny- Normal
      2) Rainy - 10% more food will grow, Movement decrease by 10%.
      3) Cloudy - 10% less food will grow.
      4) Snowy - 10% defensive bonus, 10% less attacking damage.

All weather will have equal chances of occurring hourly, however-
      In Summers chances of Sunny weather will increase.
      In Spring al chances will remain 25%.
      In Autumn chances of Cloudy weather will increase.
      In Winter chances of Snowy weather will increase.

Please reply if you agree with this or not with why.
      Also tell any changes that should be made with what I said.
    • Good post but I respectfully disagree. Adding weather would require tons of coding for the dev team and the editing of the UI. If weather was added it would require a graphics update in order to show weather on top the terrain so clicking on a providence every time to check the weather doesn’t become a pain. I also believe that weather wouldn’t add much to the game except to force more waiting.

Many an invasion HAS been stopped due to weather but I believe that the effect of weather was decreased by the time of WW2 as supply chains became more effective, mass production was increased and knowledge of enemy’s climate became readily available allowing leaders to know what supplies to order, produce said supplies for the whole army and finally deliver said supplies to the whole army.

The most famous examples of weather affecting the war were Nazi Germany’s invasion of the Soviet Union and the Soviet Union’s invasion of Finland. But the winter only had a major effect because of the combination of bad luck and incompetence, along with the skill and ingenuity of the defenders.

In the first few months of Operation Barbosa things were going great for the Reich. They pushed hard and fast and the Soviet Union was pushed to the edge and was close to collapsing but then the weather turned and one of the worst winters in history began (this is the bad luck part) and the unprepared German army froze, plus Siberian Commandos along with reinforcements from the rest of the Soviet Union started pouring in. The Soviet Union fortified their position and one of my favorite parts, did the surprisingly effective move of burying their tanks making instant bunkers. Soon the Soviet army slowly advanced becoming the ones that where pushing hard and fast.

Now the Soviet Invasion of Finland even tho it eventually succeeded is a great example of what not to do. First off the Troops that where used for the invasion mostly came from the southern provinces of the Soviet Union so you already have that working against you, and due to the terrain of the Soviet Finish border the Red Army could only invade through this one choke point. The Finish knew this so they fortified and made it essentially a kill box staffed by camouflaged snipers and skiing commandos destroying the Red Army. Of course a few executions later new Red Army leaders were able to defeat Finland but it still is one of my favorite underdog stories.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)

The post was edited 4 times, last by Habo778 ().

• I don’t believe that Germany was defeated due to only the weather. I believe that Germany was defeated due to said reinforcements and conflict within High Command. The weather just helped make it a lot easier for the Soviets. Germany was doomed as long as Hitler was doing a Hitler and making Military Strategy 2nd to his Political Strategy my whole argument about weather was that it didn’t have much effect and the only times it did was because of incompetence. So sorry if my post implied otherwise.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
    • Habo778 wrote:

I don’t believe that Germany was defeated due to only the weather. I believe that Germany was defeated due to said reinforcements and conflict within High Command. The weather just helped make it a lot easier for the Soviets. Germany was doomed as long as Hitler was doing a Hitler and making Military Strategy 2nd to his Political Strategy my whole argument about weather was that it didn’t have much effect and the only times it did was because of incompetence. So sorry if my post implied otherwise.
      Germany was picking a fight with something that it could not handle. The Soviet Union was much bigger than Germany in size and industrial capabilities. Germany initially wanted to reach the AA line during Operation Barberossa, but they only succeeded in achieving one city of the three cities that they were supposed to conquer in the first stage. The only way they could've defeated the Soviets was that they reached the AA(Arkhangelsk-Astrakhan) Line in the first year. However, they failed to do so. Also, even if they did defeat the Soviets there would be numerous Soviet holdouts. Also, the citizens would part take in active rebellion agains the Germans. The Soviets would literally fight for each square inch of land in the Soviet Union.
    • vietcong2005 wrote:

Also, the citizens would part take in active rebellion agains the Germans. The Soviets would literally fight for each square inch of land in the Soviet Union.
      I don’t believe the Germany could have conquered the Soviet people, but cause the Soviet Union to collapse and destroy its industry was certainly possible if that was the focus of operation Barbosa. Barbosa’s failure was getting Germany into a long term conflict. How I would have done it was first give myself the whole winter to prepare my troops move my armor into position then when spring come I would make a rush to conquer the industrialized Eastern lands then turn back before the Red Army Mobilizes razing everything all the way back to the Polish border. Now I fortify and wait for the demoralized Red Army to attack after going through the ruins of their cities. This will of course form a dedicated population that hates you bitterly making it impossible for you to hold Soviet lands without having a dozen rebellions but that isn’t the goal the goal would be too cripple the Soviet Union so much that it won’t have the power to oppose you. Make it so they can’t produce guns or feed their armies and then you have succeeded.

But one big goal of invading Soviet Union was too get its oil but I would have invaded the Middle East instead if I had a choice between the two.
    • Habo778 wrote:

Good post but I respectfully disagree. Adding weather would require tons of coding for the dev team and the editing of the UI. If weather was added it would require a graphics update in order to show weather on top the terrain so clicking on a providence every time to check the weather doesn’t become a pain. I also believe that weather wouldn’t add much to the game except to force more waiting.

Many an invasion HAS been stopped due to weather but I believe that the effect of weather was decrease by the time of WW2 as supply chains became more effective, mass production was increased and knowledge of enemy’s climate became readily available allowing leaders to know what supplies to order, produce said supplies for the whole army and finally deliver said supplies to the whole army.

The most famous examples of weather affecting the war were Nazi Germany’s invasion of the Soviet Union and the Soviet Union’s invasion of Finland. But the winter only had a major effect because of the combination of bad luck and incompetence, along with the skill and ingenuity of the defenders.

In the first few months of Operation Barbosa things were going great for the Reich. They pushed hard and fast and the Soviet Union was pushed to the edge and was close to collapsing but then the weather turned and one of the worst winters in history began (this is the bad luck part) and the unprepared German army froze, plus Siberian Commandos along with reinforcements from the rest of the Soviet Union started pouring in. The Soviet Union fortified their position and one of my favorite parts, did the surprisingly effective move of burying their tanks making instant bunkers. Soon the Soviet army slowly advanced becoming the ones that where pushing hard and fast.

Now the Soviet Invasion of Finland even tho it eventually succeeded is a great example of what not to do. First of the Troops that where used for the invasion mostly came from the southern provinces of the Soviet Union so you already have that working against you, and due to the terrain of the Soviet Finish border the Red Army could only invade through this one choke point. The Finish knew this so they fortified and made it essentially a kill box staffed by camouflaged snipers and skiing commandos destroying the Red Army. Of course a few executions later new Red Army leaders where able to defeat Finland but it still is one of my favorite underdog stories.
      Uh, In HOI4 they did it, People think the CoW dev team are lazy lol
    • Habo778 wrote:

Good post but I respectfully disagree. Adding weather would require tons of coding for the dev team and the editing of the UI. If weather was added it would require a graphics update in order to show weather on top the terrain so clicking on a providence every time to check the weather doesn’t become a pain. I also believe that weather wouldn’t add much to the game except to force more waiting.

Many an invasion HAS been stopped due to weather but I believe that the effect of weather was decrease by the time of WW2 as supply chains became more effective, mass production was increased and knowledge of enemy’s climate became readily available allowing leaders to know what supplies to order, produce said supplies for the whole army and finally deliver said supplies to the whole army.

Now the Soviet Invasion of Finland even tho it eventually succeeded is a great example of what not to do. First of the Troops that where used for the invasion mostly came from the southern provinces of the Soviet Union so you already have that working against you, and due to the terrain of the Soviet Finish border the Red Army could only invade through this one choke point. The Finish knew this so they fortified and made it essentially a kill box staffed by camouflaged snipers and skiing commandos destroying the Red Army. Of course a few executions later new Red Army leaders where able to defeat Finland but it still is one of my favorite underdog stories.
      I agree with Habo adding the weather is not necessary. After all it is a war game not farmville lol.