English localization improvements

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• English localization improvements

The game is awesome, but some brief changes have to be done

In this thread, I will be discussing Ukrainian names, because, as a Ukrainian, I have competence in this field. So, I`ve made a small research on 4 maps: "Europe - clash of nations", "1939 - Blitzkrieg", "1939 - historic world" and "World at war".

All in all, misnaming troubles are mainly the same on all of the maps mentioned. But what drives me to create this thread is the mess and the lack of logic (or, more likely - attention) to the same names on different maps. I mean, that on one server a place could be named appropriately, and on the other, it could be completely different. Also, what makes no sense, is the absence of a pattern in naming Ukrainian cities. And it`s not my sentiment! Look: one province in Ukraine is named in Ukrainian original name and another - in Russian transliteration. So having half of the provinces named after Russian versions and a half - in Ukrainian. This principle, everyone could agree, is strange and has no logic at all. You`d either name all provinces in this region in Ukrainian or name them all in Russian transliteration. The last variant won`t play and I`m here to explain why.

So, I will name them all and explain the reason, why the names should be changed. The list would be divided into two main parts: Soviet-occupied and Polish-occupied parts of Ukraine. It must be obvious, that a single pattern should be followed. So you either make all Ukrainian cities under Polish administration in Polish or make them in a more common transliteration. The same goes for the Soviets. You`d better either make them all in Russian or make them as natives call the city.
      Following the 10th United Nations Conference on the Standardization of Geographical Names, I politely request all countries and organizations to review and where necessary, amend their (names) usage.

Following the adoption of that(mfa.gov.ua/storage/app/sites/1/2018-10-01-e-conf101-144.pdf) UN decision, Ukrainian proper names (geographical names and personal names) shall be romanized following a single system of rules for transliteration in official documents. Ukraine is submitting the table for the romanization of the Ukrainian alphabet, which has been officially ratified at the national level and is now in wide use, for international approval.

The Ukrainian system of Romanization (mfa.gov.ua/storage/app/sites/1…an-system-ukraine-eng.pdf) had been considered and approved by the Working Group on the Systems of Romanization of the UNGEGN and presented at the 26th Session of UNGEGN.

The Pronunciation of Ukrainian Geographical Names Table and rules give an idea about the relationship between letters and sounds in Ukrainian and Spelling rules for the Ukrainian Geographical Names provide basic rules that you can use to spell it correctly.
      In the List of the units of administrative and territorial division of Ukraine and their capitals you will find the place names and geographical terms that have been transcribed for you correctly already. There is no reason to keep using the incorrect ones.
      Images
      • 1.jpg

375.41 kB, 2,324×1,450, viewed 13 times
      • 2.jpg

270.2 kB, 2,344×1,392, viewed 13 times
      • 3.jpg

371.82 kB, 2,306×1,244, viewed 11 times
      • 4.jpg

199.19 kB, 1,920×1,044, viewed 12 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Serhii_Shevchenko ().

• Soviet-occupied:
      • Kyiv (Kiev) The Ukrainian name is Ки́їв, written in the Ukrainian Cyrillic alphabet, and usually rendered in Latin letters (or romanized) as Kyiv. Ukrainian is an inflected language, and the genitive form is Ки́єва, Kyieva, meaning "of Kyiv".Before the standardization of the alphabet in the early twentieth century, the name was also spelled Кыѣвъ, Киѣвъ, or Кіѣвъ with the now-obsolete letter yat. The Old Ukrainian spelling from the 14th and 15th centuries was nominal *Києвъ, but various attested spellings include кїєва (gen.), Кїєвь and Киев (acc.), кїєво or кїєвом (ins.), києвє, Кіеве, Кїєвѣ, Києвѣ, or Киѣве (loc.). The name descends from Old East Slavic Kyjevŭ (Kыѥвъ). Old East Slavic chronicles, such as Laurentian Codex and Novgorod Chronicle, used the spellings Києвъ, Къıєвъ, or Кїєвъ. This is most likely derived from the Proto-Slavic name *Kyjevŭ gordŭ (literally, "Kyi's castle"), and is associated with Kyi (Ukrainian: Кий, Russian: Кий), the legendary eponymous founder of the city. Kyiv is the romanized Ukrainian name for the city, and it is used for legislative and official acts. The transliteration Kyiv was legally approved by the Ukrainian government in 1995, and since then it has tried to make Kyiv more widely used abroad. At the international level, this transliteration was approved by the Tenth United Nations Conference on Standardization of Geographical Names but did not end up making much of an impact. Before 2019, there were few cases of organizations switching to Kyiv spelling, because many people outside Ukraine did not see the need or thought that the issue was "imposed by nationalists on purpose". The "KyivNotKiev" campaign began with a two-week "marathon" where every one or two days the MFA published the title of foreign news outlets. Ukrainians would, en masse, request them on social networks to use Kyiv instead of Kiev, which was also followed by numerous Ukrainian social networks users putting "#KyivNotKiev" frames on their avatars. Ten of the most influential (in the opinion of the MFA) English language global new outlets were affected: Reuters, CNN, BBC News, Al Jazeera, Daily Mail, The Washington Post, The New York Times, The Guardian, The Wall Street Journal and Euronews. Some of the Ukrainian top officials participated in this act: Minister of Healthcare Ulana Suprun, Representative of Ukraine at the Council of Europe Dmytro Kuleba, and the Member of Parliament Yehor Soboliev. The campaign saw the support of several thousands of Ukrainians, and the hashtag "#KyivNotKiev" had been seen by some 10 million social network users. During or shortly after this "marathon", the BBC and The Guardian started using Kyiv. Later, the campaign shifted its attention to foreign airports, which used Kiev almost exclusively. The place name Kyiv is standardized in the authoritative database of Ukraine's toponyms maintained by Ukraine's mapping agency Derzhheokadastr. It has also been adopted by the United Nations GEGN Geographical Names Database, the United States Board on Geographic Names, the International Air Transport Association, the European Union, English-speaking foreign diplomatic missions and governments, several international organizations, and the Encyclopædia Britannica. Some English-language news sources have adopted Kyiv in their style guides, including the AP, CP, and Reuters news services, media organizations in Ukraine, and some media organizations in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
      • Odesa (Odessa) Same standardization system as above.
      • Kharkiv (Kharkov) Same standardization system here. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kharkiv#Name). “Kharkiv” name of the city was approved by National transcription committee, ALA-LC, BGN/PCGN and scholarly.
      • Mykolaiv (Mykalaiv) The Ukrainian name of the city is Микола́їв, transliterated as Mykolaiv, or (officially) Mykolayiv.
      • Dnipropetrovsk (Dnepropetrovsk) Same rules as above.
      • Belgorod (Belgograd). Simply, there no such city as “Blgograd”. I don`t even know, why have you named it in that way.
      Polish-occupied:
      • Lviv (Lvov, Lwów) The city of Lviv was founded in 1250 by King Daniel of Galicia (1201–1264) in the Principality of Halych of Kingdom of Rus' and named in honour of his son Levas Lvihorod which is consistent with name of other Ukrainian cities such as Myrhorod, Sharhorod, Novhorod, Bilhorod, Horodyshche, Horodok and many others. So the original name, since its foundation, derives from the word “Leo”, and since the early days it was known as Lviv. Transliteration comes from the rules, listed above.
      • Rivne (Rovno) Transliteration comes from the rules, listed above. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivne
      • Volodymyr-Volynskyi (Włodziemerz Wołyński) Transliteration comes from the rules, listed above.
      • Zhovkva (Żółkiew) Transliteration comes from the rules, listed above.
      • Berezhany (Brzeżany) Transliteration comes from the rules, listed above. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berezhany
      • Stanislaviv (Stanisławów) Transliteration comes from the rules, listed above.
      Your support in helping to ensure that the correct, internationally agreed placenames for Ukraine are adopted in your game is greatly appreciated.
      The places should be named in one pattern or system. This is the main idea!
      I mean, that the mess, where some places are named after one system and others - after another, isn`t appropriate for the game of such a high level. And if there is a world-recognized system, why shouldn`t we use it here?
      Also, in attachments, you could see exact places, where the changes should be made.

The main logic is, that the places should be named after a way people there call it. For example, we call New-York, as, obviously, New-York, even though Germans may call it a Neuyork. Or, for example, we call the French city of
      Strasbourg in this way. Even though Germans, that ruled the city for a long (e. g. during the Second World War), call it Straßburg. The city should be named after a local variation. Not after a language of a country, that had a control over it for some time. I hope, it is clear

The post was edited 3 times, last by Serhii_Shevchenko ().

• lt rubber duck wrote:

the problem with names there is no direct translations most time. example of this s German to English no English letters are equivalent to some German so an approximation is used . Russian is even worse. Russian uses a lot of letters and names with no direct equivalent
      I`m not talking about Russian cities and Russian names. Ukrainian cites and their names already have an official, world-wide recognized transliteration. The trouble is, that 70% of provinces use correct localization, and like 30% - don`t. Just make them all correct (in a single transliterational system of course). That`s the point.
    • Serhii_Shevchenko wrote:

The game is awesome, but some brief changes have to be done

In this thread, I will be discussing Ukrainian names, because, as a Ukrainian, I have competence in this field. So, I`ve made a small research on 4 maps: "Europe - clash of nations", "1939 - Blitzkrieg", "1939 - historic world" and "World at war".

All in all, misnaming troubles are mainly the same on all of the maps mentioned. But what drives me to create this thread is the mess and the lack of logic (or, more likely - attention) to the same names on different maps. I mean, that on one server a place could be named appropriately, and on the other, it could be completely different. Also, what makes no sense, is the absence of a pattern in naming Ukrainian cities. And it`s not my sentiment! Look: one province in Ukraine is named in Ukrainian original name and another - in Russian transliteration. So having half of the provinces named after Russian versions and a half - in Ukrainian. This principle, everyone could agree, is strange and has no logic at all. You`d either name all provinces in this region in Ukrainian or name them all in Russian transliteration. The last variant won`t play and I`m here to explain why.

So, I will name them all and explain the reason, why the names should be changed. The list would be divided into two main parts: Soviet-occupied and Polish-occupied parts of Ukraine. It must be obvious, that a single pattern should be followed. So you either make all Ukrainian cities under Polish administration in Polish or make them in a more common transliteration. The same goes for the Soviets. You`d better either make them all in Russian or make them as natives call the city.

Following the 10th United Nations Conference on the Standardization of Geographical Names, I politely request all countries and organizations to review and where necessary, amend their (names) usage.

Following the adoption of that(mfa.gov.ua/storage/app/sites/1/2018-10-01-e-conf101-144.pdf) UN decision, Ukrainian proper names (geographical names and personal names) shall be romanized following a single system of rules for transliteration in official documents. Ukraine is submitting the table for the romanization of the Ukrainian alphabet, which has been officially ratified at the national level and is now in wide use, for international approval.

The Ukrainian system of Romanization (mfa.gov.ua/storage/app/sites/1…an-system-ukraine-eng.pdf) had been considered and approved by the Working Group on the Systems of Romanization of the UNGEGN and presented at the 26th Session of UNGEGN.

The Pronunciation of Ukrainian Geographical Names Table and rules give an idea about the relationship between letters and sounds in Ukrainian and Spelling rules for the Ukrainian Geographical Names provide basic rules that you can use to spell it correctly.

In the List of the units of administrative and territorial division of Ukraine and their capitals you will find the place names and geographical terms that have been transcribed for you correctly already. There is no reason to keep using the incorrect ones.
      I have already written about Lviv on a separate topic here . The best part is that some provinces: Kowel (Idk what it's called in EN, UA), Lviv, Vilnius (Lithuanian just that) have two names, some are in Polish and some are in English. Of course, they should show names in other languages, because I wouldn't feel comfortable reading the names of places in a language as difficult as Polish. Because I am aware of how difficult our language is for foreigners.