Leave a mark! - Release Notes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Leave a mark! - Release Notes

Release Notes - 2020-12-15

Attention, Generals!

With our last update of the year, we implement new dynamic country names on the map and a Call of War wiki that you can access from within and outside the game!

The new dynamic country names appear when you zoom out on the map and allow you to leave a visible mark in your game round. The bigger your empire grows; the more impressive your country's name will be represented on the map for all players to see.

The new Wiki replaces the old manual and allows you to search for vital information without leaving the game. You will find a vast amount of information in there to a wide variety of topics, explaining the ins and outs of the game and its mechanics. Please note that we will add more content to the Wiki in the next few weeks.

Today’s update also includes some balancing changes, further updates and bug fixes. For a complete overview please take a look at the list below:

New features:
      • A new Call of War Wiki was implemented in the game providing detailed information on a wide range of aspects of the game. The new Wiki can be accessed from outside and inside the game.
        • The Wiki can be opened via a new menu item on top of the “other” menu in the bottom right corner on mobile.
        • On desktop the existing “info” button in the top left corner of the screen is re-purposed to open the game wiki instead.
        • In the forums the current manual articles are replaced with a link to the Wiki.
        • The Wiki can also be accessed via wiki.callofwar.com/
        • The Wiki provides information in English only, as the amount of information is too much to provide localized versions and keeping all those languages up to date in case of changes.
      • Country names are now displayed dynamically when zooming out on the map. The bigger your country gets, the larger the font size and your mark on the map for all players to see and to represent the power of your empire.
      Balancing:
      • The naval combat balance was adjusted, especially in terms of how Destroyers are fighting Submarines. Prior to this update it was too easy for Destroyers to destroy Submarines due to their attack range combined with their high speed and ability to reveal. Destroyers now get their attack range removed and are compensated with higher damage values and lower costs, among other changes::
        • Destroyers:
          • The attack range was removed
          • The research, building and upkeep costs were reduced
          • The damage against submarines was increased.
          • The view range was increased from 50 to 70.
        • Submarines:
          • The research, building and upkeep costs were increased
          • The hit points of Submarines were decreased.
        • Cruisers:
          • The damage against submarines was decreased.
      • These changes only affect newly created game rounds. Games created before this update and “Classic” game rounds are not affected by this change.
      General:
      • The inactivity timers in events were streamlined to make it easier for you to know after what amount of time the AI is taking over your reign in case you are not available to rule your nation.
        • The inactivity timer is now 2 real life days in all events except in high speed events with 6x or 10x the speed of normal game rounds.
        • The inactivity timer for events with 6x or 10x the speed of normal game rounds is 1 real life day now.
      • The index of nations/coalitions and the ranking table in the newspaper, including the info how many Victory Points are needed to win the game round were removed for Dominion maps, as these maps do not require Victory Points to win the game.
      • Call of War can now be played in landscape mode on tablets.
      • Since the army bar and province bar are now displayed at the bottom of the screen on mobile, notifications were moved to the top of the screen and can be closed now to avoid overlap.
      Bug fixes:
      • A bug was fixed that prevented the Game End timer to be displayed at the end of a game round on mobile devices.
      • An issue was resolved that caused the login notification “you have 1 new front report" to be displayed although the player was already logged in and the reported notification was displayed on the screen. The login notification is not displayed anymore when the player is logged in and received the notification itself.
      • A bug was fixed on mobile devices that prevented the scrolling function in the stock market from working when scrolling the market and switching resource tabs.
      • An issue on mobile devices was resolved that caused an empty space to be displayed between the coalition flag and the country flag in the army bar, which caused the info button to be hidden.
      • An issue was resolved that could cause units to be displayed in front of resource icons, but behind other labels on the map. Resource icons are now displayed in front of units, like the other labels on the map.
      • We added translations for several tooltips that were displayed in English language for some languages.
      • A bug has been fixed that caused the option of using arrow keys to cycle between provinces and armies to not work as intended.
      We hope you like the new Call of War Wiki, the dynamic country names on the map and all the other changes and bug fixes of today’s update. We wish you best of luck on the battlefield!

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • Last Warrior wrote:

destroyer warfare killed, submarine warfare killed, "best" update ever...
      That is certainly a bit exaggerated. What we eliminated is alot of tedious micromanagement in the destroyer vs. submarine interaction as well a wide swing in combat results that was solely dependend on the activity level of players. Basically before this change 1 destroyer was able to destroy a lot of submarines in a row without taking any damage. This rendered sending submarines alone into the ocean pretty useless and also goes against our balancing principles. The submarine player could react and give his submarine orders to attack or retreat, but when the destroyer player was active as well he would still win easily, since he can simply evade or follow the submarine due to the higher move speed of destroyers. The only way for active submarine players to defeat active destroyers was to lay out complicated traps where they lure a destroyer into a position where they can be approached from multiple sides. In such a case the encounter would suddenly swing into the submarine player's favor.
      We wanted to get rid of these wide swings of results that were solely dependend on the activity level of players and also complicated to pull off.
      What we have now is a more streamlined and sensical way of this encounter, with destroyers clearly countering submarines in 1on1 fights, but not being able to "farm" an endless amount of subs in a row as the destroyer now takes damage as well.

TomtheBuilder wrote:

Are we able to help the wiki expand or is it only the developer's job?
      Right now only Bytro people can update it (maybe that changes at some point in the future). If you feel like certain info is missing or falsely presented, you can always let us know though!
    • Additionally, the country name position is currently placed ner capital provinces due to certain technical reasons. That means countries that have a rather slim landmass near their capital have their name displayed rather small. For example Finland in maps where we have lakes right above the capital. We are aware that the current version is not perfect and perhaps we will be able to do further improvements on it in the future.
    • Hey freezy ive opened a coonversation with you about issues and stuff but youve ignored me:-(
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“If you win, you need not explain!”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • Also i disagree with Submarine damage reduction... i expected a damage increase. the cost increase is OK but damage should not have been changed. Now subs are far less useful. Remember the Battle of the Atlantic, The Allies had special naval bombers, ships depth charge and deep intel into German moves but they still only just won.
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • Submarine damage was not reduced, see changelog.

I already explained why overall Submarines are now much more useful again, as destroyers can't beat them anymore without taking damage themselves. In order to make destroyers balanced as a submarine counter in melee combat the values had to be changed though, to be more in the destroyer's favor in melee combat.

Submarines are not supposed to be an almighty weapon that beats all other ships in a 1on1 fight. This is supposed to be a rock-paper-scissor balancing where you need more than one unit: Destroyers beat Subs, Subs beat Cruisers/Battleships, Cruisers/Battleships beat Destroyers.

As for the private message: Sorry I don't have time to have private conversations with players, otherwise I would not be able to do anything else on a day :/ I hope its enough that I chime into discussions in the forums. If you have suggestions its fine if you post them in the suggestions forum themselves, where I will read them. I dont comment on everything though even if I read it, again due to time constraints. Same goes for your PM.
    • OK i undrestand thank you.
      Here is the content of my PM
      1- Historical issue. in the 1939 historic world war map Australia's Papua new guniea colony is seen as aussie mainland. that is simply not true, it was recognized as a colony by Australia and international nations, and was colonized.
      2- Anther issue. China is listed as axis doctrine. it is true that their equipment and training was german in 1932 and such, but in 1939 they had American equipment and actively declared war against the Germans.
      3- Rivers. i want rivers
      4- Weather. Weather NEEDS to be added to CoW. it is LITERALLY one of the most important strategic factors in war.
      5- Another historical issue. not a very big deal, but as the german leader you are called : Chancellor USERNAME. the germans were NEVER run by chancellors, even during the Weimar Republic.
      6- Shouldnt we be able to REPAIR units?
      7- The Japanese starting airforce in historic. in real life, they had 1000s of planes but the game starts with zero.
      8- What is going to be the main update for CoW 2.0?
      9-Infantry strength needs to be increased.
      10- There would be more but ive forgotten.

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • BlazingInfernos wrote:

Excuse me but if the range of the destroyer is removed, then what is the point of it having 0.6 attack value for land targets. Please look into this issue.
      It can still end up in fights with land targets when being placed directly on the coastline. Every unit in the game has a close-combat range of 5. Similarly, land units have attack values against ships, since they can end up fighting them as well when being stationed at the coastline. And this is necessary in order for land units being able to intercept disembarking convoys. Likewise you would want your destroyer to defend your disembarking convoys against land units. So no issue here, it works as intended.
    • freezy wrote:

Submarine damage was not reduced, see changelog.

I already explained why overall Submarines are now much more useful again, as destroyers can't beat them anymore without taking damage themselves. In order to make destroyers balanced as a submarine counter in melee combat the values had to be changed though, to be more in the destroyer's favor in melee combat.

Submarines are not supposed to be an almighty weapon that beats all other ships in a 1on1 fight. This is supposed to be a rock-paper-scissor balancing where you need more than one unit: Destroyers beat Subs, Subs beat Cruisers/Battleships, Cruisers/Battleships beat Destroyers.

As for the private message: Sorry I don't have time to have private conversations with players, otherwise I would not be able to do anything else on a day :/ I hope its enough that I chime into discussions in the forums. If you have suggestions its fine if you post them in the suggestions forum themselves, where I will read them. I dont comment on everything though even if I read it, again due to time constraints. Same goes for your PM.
      Its all very nice to want to have all these multiple units and stacks. But without buying them (gold) It is very very hard to build up troops. Most "empires" are empty of troops. You kill off the front troops, and then swaths of nothing.
      The main issue with CoW is NO nuance.
      Great Game, but lots of work to be done still.
      Looking forward to more improvements.

Main thing; Need to be able to build more units. Resources are just non existent. Even if factories are level 3+ and even with recruiting stations. By the time you build the needed Factories etc, you either been conquered or had to spend 60$ minimum to be competitive. Don't get me wrong, I do not mind investing in a game for some pleasure. But sure would be more fun with ..well, more lol
      I have a list of detailed ideas .. where to share this though?