Stack number battle system mechanics

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Stack number battle system mechanics

I am trying to figure out how to maximize the efficiency of my stacks. I understand that the attack and defense values of only 10 units are considered in any single attack. If I have a stack of, say, 15 though, with 3 anti-air, and planes come to attack the stack, will the 10 units selected for the defense values be the ones that will do the highest damage? In other words, does the stack automatically select the 10 units with the greatest efficiency for whatever it is facing, or does it average out the damage based on percentage of the overall stack? How does that work? Please be detailed, I am trying to understand this as in-depth as possible.

Thanks!

The post was edited 1 time, last by King Edmund the Just ().

• Another question on mechanics. If I have a stack of 10 ships, and they have different ranges (let's say 3 battleships, 3 cruisers, 4 destroyers) and I begin shooting at another mixed stack at battleship range. If he then splits his stack and moves in his cruisers to attack my stack separately from his battleship stack, will my cruisers shoot back, or is the cruisers' attack timing synced to and linked with the battleships, even though the cruisers are out of range of the original target that I am attacking?

The same mechanic question can be applied for rail road guns and artillery. If I am shooting at a rail road gun stack with my railroad guns at range 100, and then he moves in a separate artillery stack, will the artillery in my stack shoot back at his artillery, or is their opportunity to shoot back taken up by the fact that they are in the same stack as the railroad guns? Do I need to separate the units for the shorter range units to return fire?

I hope that the question was clear enough, please feel free to follow up if you need further clarification on the question.

Edit: Additional question, do my transports have to be a part of a cruiser stack for the cruisers to defend the transports from planes, or do the transports only have to be in range of the cruiser? I was pretty sure it was the former, but another player is challenging me on that so I want to be certain. We are discussing how to defend transports during disembark on a landing attack.

The post was edited 1 time, last by King Edmund the Just ().

• King Edmund the Just wrote:

I currently have a 189:1 human opponent KD and want to be able to preserve that by understanding stack mechanics.
      You will never be able to maintain those stats. So far you have been playing the Europe 22 player map where there's only exlusively first time level 1 players, high inactivity and no opposition. Anyone can have stats out of the charts on that map but as soon as you'll start playing bigger maps you will encounter opposition and players that actually know what they are doing and your stats will tumble. Who cares about stats anyways, have fun instead ;)
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!

Another question on mechanics. If I have a stack of 10 ships, and they have different ranges (let's say 3 battleships, 3 cruisers, 4 destroyers) and I begin shooting at another mixed stack at battleship range. If he then splits his stack and moves in his cruisers to attack my stack separately from his battleship stack, will my cruisers shoot back, or is the cruisers' attack timing synced to and linked with the battleships, even though the cruisers are out of range of the original target that I am attacking?

Edit: Additional question, do my transports have to be a part of a cruiser stack for the cruisers to defend the transports from planes, or do the transports only have to be in range of the cruiser? I was pretty sure it was the former, but another player is challenging me on that so I want to be certain. We are discussing how to defend transports during disembark on a landing attack.
      If you have a stack of battleships, cruisers and destroyers, then it is a single stack and will only target another single stack every 30 minutes. If you are at battleship range, the other ships will be twiddling their thumbs. Two possible solutions: break the stack, or after each attack move your units closer so the shorter ranged ships can join the action.

When you are attacked by planes, they will target (and receive defensive damage from) all units within their circle of patrol at the moment of fighting. If you have your transports separate from your cruisers, it will be possible to place the planes where the cruisers are not involved. This is for the patrol mechanic. I don't use attack on planes after some horrific and painful outcomes. :)
    • To clarify: Every unit in the game deals out splash damage in a radius of 5 (for comparison, arty range is 50), and will also receive defensive damage back from all units within that radius. Meaning your cruiser also defends your transports when the cruiser is close nearby but not in the same stack
    • So Freezy, if I have multiple stacks of 10 units in a 5 measure area, will the potential defensive damage be calculated per stack and allow for, say, 20 units to deal defensive damage, or will the top 10 units picked from amongst all the stacks be the ones counted for potential defensive damage? In other words, is there a way, for example, to place 20 AA units in 2 stacks of 10, but within splash damage radius of each other, and have all 20 do defensive damage, or will it only take 10 of them?

So Freezy, if I have multiple stacks of 10 units in a 5 measure area, will the potential defensive damage be calculated per stack and allow for, say, 20 units to deal defensive damage, or will the top 10 units picked from amongst all the stacks be the ones counted for potential defensive damage? In other words, is there a way, for example, to place 20 AA units in 2 stacks of 10, but within splash damage radius of each other, and have all 20 do defensive damage, or will it only take 10 of them?
      Per stack, so each stack has its own limit.

(and yeah the system has some flaws because of this, it's on the list)
    • Stacking and battle effectiveness should be influenced by the terrain.
      For example, plains allow bigger concentrations of men, and bigger battles.
      Mountains and dense forests limit the size of the battle.
      It's not realistic to put 10 divisions of armor on a mountain pass.
      The whole point of mountain passes is to restrict movement and force a prolonged series of small-scale battles.

When it comes to air force, the issue is not the number of planes per stack, but planes per base.
      100 planes in a stack is just as easy as 10 stacks of 10, or 20 stacks of 5.
      All of these stacks are over-powered because they allow too much weaponry to strike at the same time.
      In reality, air battles were limited by how quickly planes could arm, take off, get into formation, and fly to the target.
      For a large attack, the first planes off the ground would be almost out of fuel by the time the last units took off.
      This was a historical limitation on the size of air battles, and it remains to this day.
      That, and every base has a maximum "occupancy".
      Some bases can service more planes than others. None can serve "infinite" planes.
      This area of the game needs a lot more work than land or naval units.
    • Freezy, thank you for the explanation. That is quite helpful.

DeathKnyte wrote:

Wow.
      You really think it's worth going through all that trouble?

Try using some Polikarpov I-153's, instead of ground based anti air, and simply shoot down the enemy aircraft.
      :)
      I like to have layered defenses. I'm not always online, so I have some passive defense in addition to my active offense. This was simply a hypothetical anyway, to draw out the mechanics question; I'm not likely to have that exact scenario play out.

Regarding the airfield stack limit thing, I agree that this is an issue. Real life airfields can only handle so many planes at once, and can only launch so many at a time, based on the runways and other infrastructure. Having these limits scale with the airstrip level would provide another incentive for building bigger strips.

Freezy, thank you for the explanation. That is quite helpful.

DeathKnyte wrote:

Wow.
      You really think it's worth going through all that trouble?

Try using some Polikarpov I-153's, instead of ground based anti air, and simply shoot down the enemy aircraft.
      :)
      I like to have layered defenses. I'm not always online, so I have some passive defense in addition to my active offense. This was simply a hypothetical anyway, to draw out the mechanics question; I'm not likely to have that exact scenario play out.
      Regarding the airfield stack limit thing, I agree that this is an issue. Real life airfields can only handle so many planes at once, and can only launch so many at a time, based on the runways and other infrastructure. Having these limits scale with the airstrip level would provide another incentive for building bigger strips.
      I suppose the air strip refuel time has something to do with this but that is a good point
    • Plane stacks are effectively without limit.

I can make 10 stacks of 10, take off at the same time from the same base, and strike the same target. When the area is clear, the whole air force travels to another part of the map. I can build another infinite capacity air base in a few hours, anywhere on the map, including remote, uninhabited regions. Again, the whole air force can go there, and operate at full capacity.

This is the most over-powered aspect of the game, IMO. Really nothing else on the ground or on the water comes close.
    • z00mz00m wrote:

Plane stacks are effectively without limit.

I can make 10 stacks of 10, take off at the same time from the same base, and strike the same target. When the area is clear, the whole air force travels to another part of the map. I can build another infinite capacity air base in a few hours, anywhere on the map, including remote, uninhabited regions. Again, the whole air force can go there, and operate at full capacity.

This is the most over-powered aspect of the game, IMO. Really nothing else on the ground or on the water comes close.
      Agreed. I and a partner invaded Africa with 200 units including 40 planes and lost them all in a day to a superior air force. Next game I prioritized air and won.

I'd rather airfields had size restrictions like aircraft carriers, but until they do it would be silly to not keep building enormous air forces and pushing them over enemy lines to destroy all resistance.
    • BMfox wrote:

King Edmund the Just wrote:

I currently have a 189:1 human opponent KD and want to be able to preserve that by understanding stack mechanics.
      You will never be able to maintain those stats. So far you have been playing the Europe 22 player map where there's only exlusively first time level 1 players, high inactivity and no opposition. Anyone can have stats out of the charts on that map but as soon as you'll start playing bigger maps you will encounter opposition and players that actually know what they are doing and your stats will tumble. Who cares about stats anyways, have fun instead ;)
      Apparently, now a 341:1 human KD ratio. :D
      "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • freezy wrote:

King Edmund the Just wrote:

So Freezy, if I have multiple stacks of 10 units in a 5 measure area, will the potential defensive damage be calculated per stack and allow for, say, 20 units to deal defensive damage, or will the top 10 units picked from amongst all the stacks be the ones counted for potential defensive damage? In other words, is there a way, for example, to place 20 AA units in 2 stacks of 10, but within splash damage radius of each other, and have all 20 do defensive damage, or will it only take 10 of them?
      Per stack, so each stack has its own limit.
      (and yeah the system has some flaws because of this, it's on the list)
      Freezy,

Right now I am able to use this to my advantage, say for example, during air bombardment. If I am under attack from an air stack, I can split my stack into multiple stacks of ten (if the original stack is large enough) and deal out a bit of damage during the defense of each air attack cycle. You elude that this is something that may be going away?
      "Cry havoc! and let loose the dogs of war, that this foul deed shall smell above the earth with carrion men, groaning for burial."
      - William Shakespeare

GMTpersonalized :00010166: