The eternal problem of players dropping - a solution?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The eternal problem of players dropping - a solution?

Over the 2-3 years I've been playing Call of War there has always been the problem of players dropping. I thought of something that might be a simple solutions:

Have all players earn gold through playing.

Just like in-game resources steadily increment while the game goes on (food, steel, goods, rares, oil, manpower, currency, etc) have gold increase too. With one difference - the gold only increments as the player does things, the same way experience levels increase. Simply logging in every 2 days would do nothing - it would require actually playing.

Purchasing gold would still of course be the way Bytro makes money, and players would even be "trained" to use it more because all players would have some. Players who wish an advantage would still purchase more gold, just as they do now. The costs of using gold can be adjusted to optimize Bytro's income, as could the gain rate for playing.
    • My lovely memories of Supremacy 1914, the inactivity was so bad at times it became boring in many games. A solution they had was that the game host was able to remove inactive users and it opened room for new users to join games that were already going.

I have not seen this implemented in Call Of War however. Some of the cons to this were wolfpacking/new users joining and ganging up on people as soon as they joined the existing game. This happens in the current format already but is more amplified after replacing inactive users.
      Agent Orange

EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!

"Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak." - Sun Tzu
    • BlazingInfernos wrote:

It is possible, I did it once. After the first day, the person on top of the leaderboard becomes the host/admin for system generated games. If that guy goes inactive, then top active player becomes the host. The second host can kick inactives and it opens up slots for people to join.
      But where is the button?
    • whowh wrote:

BlazingInfernos wrote:

It is possible, I did it once. After the first day, the person on top of the leaderboard becomes the host/admin for system generated games. If that guy goes inactive, then top active player becomes the host. The second host can kick inactives and it opens up slots for people to join.
      But where is the button?
      I play on PC, it is in your overview panel top right corner.
    • I sometimes join "ongoing games" trying to salvage the situation of whatever country I received. It gives interesting "non-conventional" beginnings.*

The problem is that :
      - The option to remove inactive players is manual, and only one player has it. it should be automatic after "2 x time to inactivity" passed. If it takes 2 days to be inactive, after 2 more days you are booted.
      - There is no reward in jumping in saving a game. Problem of course is that it could be exploited easily
      I think the best solution would be to "bonify" the reward by one rank. If you jump in a game by day 4, you receive the reward corresponding to your final rank + 1. If you jump by day 7, your final rank + 2,, day 10 your final rank + 3.
      You CANNOT have more than the maximum reward for the round, so you cannot exploit this to get more gold from a match than a maximum, and you probably have more chance to be first by starting from day 1, but if you want to quickly gain gold and you are a good player, it is a solution.
    • Maybe the inactivity period could also be lowered to 24 hours. That would at least reduce the disadvantage of having a country with no active management for OVER 48 hours as the inactivity is 2 game turnover periods, which means that the inactivity began before the start of the 48 hour clock. A 2 day inactivity period could be as long as 71 hours!
    • Agreed, jumping into a game after 71 hours of inactivity does not sound plausible.
      In a competitive game, that country would be toast.
      And if the game is *not* competitive, then it's just an easy way to mine gold.
      Join a historical WW2 game, replacing Germany which defeated the USSR before going inactive :)
    • Chimere wrote:

I sometimes join "ongoing games" trying to salvage the situation of whatever country I received. It gives interesting "non-conventional" beginnings.*

The problem is that :
      - The option to remove inactive players is manual, and only one player has it. it should be automatic after "2 x time to inactivity" passed. If it takes 2 days to be inactive, after 2 more days you are booted.
      - There is no reward in jumping in saving a game. Problem of course is that it could be exploited easily
      I think the best solution would be to "bonify" the reward by one rank. If you jump in a game by day 4, you receive the reward corresponding to your final rank + 1. If you jump by day 7, your final rank + 2,, day 10 your final rank + 3.
      You CANNOT have more than the maximum reward for the round, so you cannot exploit this to get more gold from a match than a maximum, and you probably have more chance to be first by starting from day 1, but if you want to quickly gain gold and you are a good player, it is a solution.
      How do you do this? How can I join "ongoing games"? :)
    • Filter for "running games", and check the day count.

On the English games, I don't see any past day 1, but there is a day 3 game for the French games.

I think before they would allow games to be joined anytime, but now they limited to day 5 or maybe 7 so they are way more rare.
    • It was a commendable initiative when this was implemented, but I don't think it is ever being used. I'm afraid we'll just have to deal with the fact that the interest curve of many players in the internet age is so low, competing with so much other stuff out there, that high percentages of inactives are inevitable. Taking over one of these feels like finishing the remainder of a half-eaten cheese burger at Mac Donald's, and lets be honest, how many of you guys do that?

It is still good food though!
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Cap the number of simultaneous games per account, and then charge gold for ending a game prematurely. This will discourage people from squatting on dozens of games when they have no intention of finishing.

Also, consider charging a token amount of gold for joining a game.