Helicopters

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Helicopters

Why don't we have helicopters in COW, I know they aren't exactly 1942 but the Germans atleast developed and used them by the end of the war, and choppers were common in all armies during the cold war (after 45'), why can't we implement them?

I suggest it maybe branching off from level 3 interceptor, or being unlocked around that level, since it is a newer technology that should be unlocked by having the previous older aircraft researched. Here are the 3 levels for helicopter (German tree sample) I propose below:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

In terms of mechanics, here's what I think helis should do. I think that since helicopters naturally hover, they should have more fuel than aircraft like interceptors and should be able to stay in the air without refueling for longer. As for the hovering part, I think helicopters should be able to fly to the general area of battle, after which it will be able to move in a small circle radius for it's "hovering". It would be able to attack anything inside the circle and after hitting the target wouldn't need to fly back to base to refuel before going out again, it could continiously hit targets from the air while staying in the air. Maybe this might be too complicated, I don't know. I think it would fit in with the game though.

Any suggestions or feedback is welcome! Thanks for reading
    • During WW2, helicopters were mainly used for reconnaissance and not for attack. Helicopters today are still not used for attacking ground units. I don't think helicopters should be included in the game and if they are, they should have very low attack values and instead be a recon unit like intercepters.
      "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • In WW2 and even the early Cold War Helicopters weren’t produced in high enough numbers to form divisions like we see in the Meta of CoW and at the time Helicopters where still VERY experimental and weren’t used often in the field due to all the models being just prototypes. Also remember that one thing that prototypes do best is fail often so it’s probably best that they didn’t see much use until the tech was more reliable.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
    • Habo778 wrote:

In WW2 and even the early Cold War Helicopters weren’t produced in high enough numbers to form divisions like we see in the Meta of CoW and at the time Helicopters where still VERY experimental and weren’t used often in the field due to all the models being just prototypes. Also remember that one thing that prototypes do best is fail often so it’s probably best that they didn’t see much use until the tech was more reliable.
      Lol, the level 1 helicopter doesn't look like it can attack anything.

• Habo778 wrote:

In WW2 and even the early Cold War Helicopters weren’t produced in high enough numbers to form divisions like we see in the Meta of CoW and at the time Helicopters where still VERY experimental and weren’t used often in the field due to all the models being just prototypes. Also remember that one thing that prototypes do best is fail often so it’s probably best that they didn’t see much use until the tech was more reliable.
      Yeah I get what you mean by helicopters not seeing much use, but in the game already we have stuff like rocket fighters, if I recall correctly that specific vehicle (Me 163 Komet) was barely used either but it's still in the game. Imo helicopters can be like interceptors, but more recon based, or can land troops like paratroopers but can be used multiple times and not just crash on landing like a paratroop glider.
    • ChunkyJew wrote:

Habo778 wrote:

Yeah I get what you mean by helicopters not seeing much use, but in the game already we have stuff like rocket fighters, if I recall correctly that specific vehicle (Me 163 Komet) was barely used either but it's still in the game. Imo helicopters can be like interceptors, but more recon based, or can land troops like paratroopers but can be used multiple times and not just crash on landing like a paratroop glider.
      Intercepters are already very recon based and they are good at fighting against other airplanes. Helicopters, not so much.

The post was edited 1 time, last by RBoi200 ().

• RBoi200 wrote:

Habo778 wrote:

Lol, the level 1 helicopter doesn't look like it can attack anything.
      Correction, none of them look like they could attack anything.