Use Commandos

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Lord Crayfish wrote:

Where commandoes shine is in raids behind enemy lines, in order not so much to capture land as to destroy buildings, seize loot, and divert enemy forces. especially to before a true breakthrough can be made. They can do this via sea landings or moving into defenceless provinces, particularly in forests. Many or most players put airfields just behind the front lines and in doing so place them in harm's way.
      If thats where they shine then they are basicly usless.
      Ok, lets say they are somehow behind enemy lines. They are slow, easy to find, no air defense. Armored car does the role way better.
      I will answer my own question then. They are breakthrough force because they cant do anything else. Which is weird.

In CoN Commandos have something special. In CoW their use is basicly:
      -Hope that enemy artillery will run without stealth reveal and the artillery will run on your Commandos and there are no enemy aircrafts nerby or your Commandos are gone.
      -Capture 1 province unnoticed and watch enemy aircrafts coming for your expensive Commandos.

Lately i defended use of Heavy Tanks but i dont see how you can do anything useful with Commandos other than use them for their raw stats in favorable terrain.
    • Sewur wrote:

If thats where they shine then they are basicly usless.Ok, lets say they are behind enemy lines. They are slow, easy to find, no air defense. Armored car does the role way better.
      I will answer my own question then. They are breakthrough force because they cant do anything else. Which is weird.

In CoN Commandos have something special. In CoW their use is basicly:
      -Hope that enemy artillery will run without stealth reveal and the artillery will run on your Commandos and there are no enemy aircrafts nerby or your Commandos are gone.
      -Capture 1 province unnoticed and watch enemy aircrafts coming for your expensive Commandos.

Lately i defended use of Heavy Tanks but i dont see how you can do anything useful with Commandos other than use them for their raw stats in favorable terrain.
      Commando units' stealth is not done justice by using them to fight on the front line. Clustering any unit you can find to make a breakthrough is unwise (you should not research such units). Ideally, breakthrough units should be a mixture of powerful, strong units supported by artillery, able both to give and take massive damage. Stealth is pretty useless here. Therefore on most terrain, so are commandoes.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by "behind enemy lines". I do not mean "exploiting breakthroughs like cavalry"; that is the armoured car's job. Ultimately the purpose of this is to occupy land.
      What I mean is the use of commandoes to make small raids into enemy territory to destroy buildings, kill vulnerable units, etc. which ideally they'll do in mountains or forests if fighting others. They will then move and do so elsewhere.
      On the chance the enemy makes a breakthrough, they can also be used to ambush his armoured cars.
      They can be moved onto side roads too. This prevents air attacks, and allows enemies to move past without noticing.
      Kneel before the might of Bangladesh
    • whowh wrote:

I feel as if the 1.0 commandos and the 1.5 commandos are completely different units. The 1.0 commandos are more like assault troopers (20.0 damage against inf in mountains) while the 1.5 commandos are more like elite saboteurs.

It is a bit like (to use context) the Royal marine commandos vs the SAS. The Royal Marines were about being elite troops that punched hard while the SAS are more about sabotage and taking out targets.
      While I agree to some extent, keep in mind that the SAS also conducted elite sabotage and quick destruction operations. Take the SAS raid on an Argentinian airbase during the Falklands War: they destroyed 11 planes in 30 minutes and destroyed the Argentinian garrison.
      "Towards the submarine men, one felt an utter disgust and loathing; they were nothing but an abomination, polluting the clean sea."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nobodyx2 ().

• TomtheBuilder wrote:

BMfox wrote:

Habo778 wrote:

Also the main defensive scouting unit is the armored car and commandos are strong against light armor which makes them perfect
      Few players use armoured cars as they are a weak early game unit that gets wrecked by light tanks. The ultimate scout unit for me is the motorized infantry as they are super fast and have great stats. If there's one unit that can give a commando a good fight it's motorized infantry. Also interceptors can reveal stealth units.
      Finally someone who actually uses motorized infantry.
      I don't believe nobody uses motorized infantry, I like them a lot
      "Towards the submarine men, one felt an utter disgust and loathing; they were nothing but an abomination, polluting the clean sea."