Still cannot find any use for the strat bombers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yea Roleplay is fine with strat bombers but in a high speed competitive game they aren't worth the time.

The last couple of rounds I have lost the enemy usually spams the heck out of attack bombers and fighters. Rarely have I seen people waste resources on strat bombers.
    • Nice thread, I can share something related to this: We will soon (probably february) release an update to the game that overhauls how building damage and morale damage works, because the current values you see in the unit stats are basically false and in reality much lower than the numbers presented there, basically only 5-10%. Our upcoming change will fix this so that units really deal out the damage against provinces that is communicated there. Of course we also have to rebalance building damage values and building hitpoints as the current values would be whack after the fix.

But what I am getting to: After that update strategic bombers should be more useful and take less runs to obliterate province buildings. In a stalemate it can be quite useful to bomb down all production capabilities of an enemy. And try it in the early game, few players expect it.
      We will also rebalance rockets to be better against morale than against buildings (tho still quite ok against buildings) to reflect the ww2 realities better. Could also be used to break stalemates by crippling your enemy's economy or bring morale down into the revolt range. Also ranged units will get better vs buildings or morale, depending if they're shell based or rocket based.
    • freezy wrote:

Nice thread, I can share something related to this: We will soon (probably february) release an update to the game that overhauls how building damage and morale damage works, because the current values you see in the unit stats are basically false and in reality much lower than the numbers presented there, basically only 5-10%. Our upcoming change will fix this so that units really deal out the damage against provinces that is communicated there. Of course we also have to rebalance building damage values and building hitpoints as the current values would be whack after the fix.

But what I am getting to: After that update strategic bombers should be more useful and take less runs to obliterate province buildings. In a stalemate it can be quite useful to bomb down all production capabilities of an enemy. And try it in the early game, few players expect it.
      We will also rebalance rockets to be better against morale than against buildings (tho still quite ok against buildings) to reflect the ww2 realities better. Could also be used to break stalemates by crippling your enemy's economy or bring morale down into the revolt range. Also ranged units will get better vs buildings or morale, depending if they're shell based or rocket based.
      This is good news.
      And here you have it, everyone: freezy DOES read suggestions ;)

How about delaying balistic missiles? If flying bomb is all there is until ~day 10 or 12, as well flying bombs as strat bombers would also be more worth their while (and really: who besides the AI uses flying bombs?).

The post was edited 1 time, last by NoobNoobTrain ().

• Well, realistcly Rockets didnt work in the real world because of bad aim. CoW should establish a 75% chance of Miss Target for rockets, which gets lowered when leveled up
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“If you win, you need not explain!”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • They're great for ruining morale of core provinces prior to an invasion. Typically, if I'm playing England, by day 5 I can have 10 Level 2 bombers that are capable of crippling France and Germany's economies very quickly. If it looks like France and Germany will be taken over by Spain or other countries, I won't rely as much on the strategic bombers since I can't reach the core provinces of those invading countries from England.

That being said, they're like all other units, there is a time and place where they are most effective and other scenarios where they are useless. There is also the impact on the player's morale to be considered. It's not a small thing to lose infrastructure and core province morale early in the game.
    • Strategic bombers are useful in a long term war, but not in a short blitzkrieg style attack. As they damage buildings, you don't want to use strategic bombers on territories you will capture soon. One example of a time I used strategic bombers was when occupying sweden and re-building up my army to fight finland. Finland had a massive airforce, but at one point, I saw his planes seperated with 13 interceptors in the north and 40+ tac/attack bombers in west. I deployed 10 strategic bombers to take out the middle airfield, effectively splitting his air force in half. Without bomber support, I was easily able to wipe out his northern territory. While strategic bombers are useful against buildings, they are very vulnerable to anti-air placed in the province and interceptors. For this reason, do not attack a province a second time since the enemy will be able to react and set up anti-air. Instead use large stacks of strategic bombers. Strategic bombers can also be used to bomb cities over and over to prevent unit production (only works well against AI). Overall, strategic bombers are not very useful and are only good in a few situations. I would not invest heavily in them, but have a few reserves just in case.
    • I'm telling you most of the time you will lose if you try to waste resources researching, upgrading and producing strat bombers. You have to focus on attack or tactical bombers instead. Plus compliment them with interceptors. The game is too fast right now to allocate resources to all those types. Strat bombers are just not the meta unit right now.