Expansion Penalty - Why?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Andromeda wrote:

Personally, I do not get why expansion would have a negative affect on a nation's morale. I would think that if a nation is expanding and conquering new lands, the people would be happy? ?(
      I'm sure your citizens are thrilled they now have millions of new people residing in newly occupied lands for your country!

In all reality though, like whowh said - Other countries (AI) do not like imperialists which causes negative relations with them leading to morale penalties and trade embargos (even war in some cases)
      Agent Orange

EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!

"Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak." - Sun Tzu
    • Zakistyle wrote:

In all reality though, like whowh said - Other countries (AI) do not like imperialists which causes negative relations with them leading to morale penalties and trade embargos (even war in some cases)
      I'm the leading player on a map with only two other remaining players who refuse to retire the map. From the moment that there was only 3 of us war got declared by 4 AI nations daily. I've got the biggest nation, bigger than the two other players combined and the biggest army so that doesn't help neither. I used all the diplomatic skills I have: gave AI shared maps from the start, gave inactive players ROW, declared trade embargo and afterwards war, I attacked only one nation at a time but it didn't help. I whiping the AI out but it's like mushrooms popping up as for every AI nation that I kill another declares war.

It's good actually as it makes the game actually interesting and challenging as 4 AI nations attacking you demands game activity and attention. If the game was easy nobody would play it.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

• BMfox wrote:

I used all the diplomatic skills I have: gave AI shared maps from the start, gave inactive players ROW, declared trade embargo and afterwards war, I attacked only one nation at a time but it didn't help.
      That's why you should never do diplomacy with a line of code.
      "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

• Thats the dumbest thing I have read today. You should read more about the partisans in ww2. When you conquer a territory naturally people will revolt. And as a nation is at war with more countries the revolts will be much easier to achieve. The partisans really got strong in Yugoslavia at end of the war when Germany was at war with half of the world. Revolting is a part of the game so you dont capture land with no penalty. Also makes the game harder and not some
      1. Capture territory
      2. Capture more
      3. Win

But now you have to plan ahead because of the cons that will happen if you expand too quickly.
    • Also I know what im gonna say isnt about this topic but I also see people complain about nations declaring war and its a logical thing I dont understand what is so hard to get for you noobs. If you saw a guy conquering every nation around him you would naturally contact the neigbours of that guy and plan to gang up on him before he kills you all. Why is it a shocker to you that AI does that too? Do you want AI nations to just give up and take it up the ***?

The post was edited 1 time, last by zecevi123 ().

• zecevi123 wrote:

Thats the dumbest thing I have read today. You should read more about the partisans in ww2. When you conquer a territory naturally people will revolt. And as a nation is at war with more countries the revolts will be much easier to achieve. The partisans really got strong in Yugoslavia at end of the war when Germany was at war with half of the world. Revolting is a part of the game so you dont capture land with no penalty. Also makes the game harder and not some
      1. Capture territory
      2. Capture more
      3. Win

But now you have to plan ahead because of the cons that will happen if you expand too quickly.
      No, I'm talking about the people that live in the country's core provinces...
    • Andromeda wrote:

zecevi123 wrote:

Thats the dumbest thing I have read today. You should read more about the partisans in ww2. When you conquer a territory naturally people will revolt. And as a nation is at war with more countries the revolts will be much easier to achieve. The partisans really got strong in Yugoslavia at end of the war when Germany was at war with half of the world. Revolting is a part of the game so you dont capture land with no penalty. Also makes the game harder and not some
      1. Capture territory
      2. Capture more
      3. Win

No, I'm talking about the people that live in the country's core provinces...
      Oh my bad then.
    • Marcos Sicilia wrote:

I'm British empire in the 25H. I have 1250 points and an expansion penalty of -27. I simply can't finish the game until build morale buildings in all the provinces that at least produce resources. Unfair, I would have ended the game like 10 days ago and now I have to be stucked 1 month more.
      Exactly, I've got the same problem on 1939 Historic World War. I'm trying to get a solo win as Japan, conquered whole South America, Africa and south east Asia but can't finish the game since there constantly are uprising because of this shitty expansion penalty
    • May not be illogical.
      Only British people have no qualms capturing entire continents across the world, frankly, a lot of people will be angry if their tax money goes for the war machine, whether they win or not, they don't want an infinity war. (Though maybe screening infinity war in cinemas for them would be cool)
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • although this is an old thread, it still applies since expansion penalty still exists, but many changes have occurred, do people have a problem with morale still?
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Can someone explain the best way to counter the expansion penalty? It's extremely annoying at best, and the only way to counter it is with Propaganda Offices. How should I lay out them? Only in cities, or in rural areas too?
      Have an amazing rest of your day ^^

"Everything is impermanent. The only thing that is permanent it impermanence itself."

Need support? ---> Send a ticket here!

dxter's CoW Battle Calculator ---> Use it here!

:tumbleweed:

o7
    • _Pyth0n_ wrote:

Can someone explain the best way to counter the expansion penalty? It's extremely annoying at best, and the only way to counter it is with Propaganda Offices. How should I lay out them? Only in cities, or in rural areas too?
      I don't use them, just drop units on the way, if the morale trend is stable or decreasing build propaganda offices, but take lots of provinces then the capital and it should be fine
      President of The Forum.

(As elected October 2023).

Can be found on Call of War itself as "Zaktty".