New GUI

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do you like the New unofficial GUI interface? 23
        No (16) 70%
        Yes (7) 30%
      This may be better off in the suggestions area, but I wanted to see what other players thought of the new GUI interface.
      "Cry havoc! and let loose the dogs of war, that this foul deed shall smell above the earth with carrion men, groaning for burial."
      - William Shakespeare

GMTpersonalized :00010166:
    • I dont like it personally. Especially when they took out the red circle indicating the unit is under attack or attacking.

Additionally, this has caused a bug it seems. Ever since this new 'update' my AA batteries are not causing any damage to patrolling enemy aircraft. I dont know if its related, but this is a serious problem i just faced right after this new update
    • The new labels have all the functionality of the old labels. Attacking timers are still shown, but they are now part of the label itself similar to all other icons and timer. Plus it also has now extra information shown that was not there before. It just looks different now. The upcoming news thread will explain the new functionality. Please play around with it for a while before you judge it.
    • Freezy,

I do like the info as it's shown when zoomed in. I am more at odds with how the game looks in WebGL graphics are on and the screen is zoomed out. The D.O.T placard replacing the unit just looks and feels cheap to me. So, I have switched over to disabled WebGL graphics for now.
      "Cry havoc! and let loose the dogs of war, that this foul deed shall smell above the earth with carrion men, groaning for burial."
      - William Shakespeare

• freezy wrote:

The new labels have all the functionality of the old labels. Attacking timers are still shown, but they are now part of the label itself similar to all other icons and timer. Plus it also has now extra information shown that was not there before. It just looks different now. The upcoming news thread will explain the new functionality. Please play around with it for a while before you judge it.
      Call of War 1.5
      • The new interface looks good. Unit health and stack information looks great. Cannot fault that.
      • The cards on medium zoom however, not so good.
      • No units shown when completely zoomed out, very bad.

Call of War 1.0
      • The number for number of units in stack is hidden behind the units. With some cases you cannot even see the number.
      • Zooming out and seeing no units is very bad for a quick view of what is happening on the battlefield.

In some ways it is a step forward, in others it is a step back.
      Please can you address these issues.
      Images
      • No Number on troops.png

195.89 kB, 426×426, viewed 4 times
    • Artmiger wrote:

freezy wrote:

The new labels have all the functionality of the old labels. Attacking timers are still shown, but they are now part of the label itself similar to all other icons and timer. Plus it also has now extra information shown that was not there before. It just looks different now. The upcoming news thread will explain the new functionality. Please play around with it for a while before you judge it.
      Call of War 1.5
      • The new interface looks good. Unit health and stack information looks great. Cannot fault that.

Call of War 1.0
      • The number for number of units in stack is hidden behind the units. With some cases you cannot even see the number.
      • Zooming out and seeing no units is very bad for a quick view of what is happening on the battlefield.

Artmiger,

Very well put and easy to identify the items that need addressing.
      - William Shakespeare

• I would like to start by saying that I haven't posted here before and up until now found no need to do so. This change has compelled me to voice my opinion in a not so favorable way.

As much as I appreciate new content and continuing improvements overall, this change is really hard for me to get behind. The removal of my own unit icon while zooming out leave me wondering if I have the correct units in the correct places. It leaves questions in my mind if I have gaps or wholes in my defensives, not to mention my Allies movements are now unclear to me. How am I supposed to assist them if I don't know where there units are unless I zoom all the way in on there Provinces?

Bottom line is that I cannot get a quick snapshot of what is going on in the match, with myself or my allies unless I really zoom in and check all of the provinces. This is a mechanic that is really cumbersome and I find totally time consuming.

I understand some people might like the changes and I know you can't please everyone, but I would really like a setting that can turn this option on or off.
      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
      ~George Santayana~
    • GMTpersonalized wrote:

Freezy,

I do like the info as it's shown when zoomed in. I am more at odds with how the game looks in WebGL graphics are on and the screen is zoomed out. The D.O.T placard replacing the unit just looks and feels cheap to me. So, I have switched over to disabled WebGL graphics for now.
      Thanks for the feedback. The issue with zoomed out unit images is that they look very pixelated and not good at all on higher zoom levels. So we replaced them with strategic icons on these levels, since it is a strategy game after all. Think of it like being a commander in front of a war table in this zoom level.
      If the dots in the lower corner are an issue: We are currently discussing showing the concrete unit number there again in one of the upcoming updates, so perhaps that solves some grudges.

Artmiger wrote:

Call of War 1.5

Call of War 1.0

Thanks for the feedback.

Hidden unit numbers in cow1.0 seems to be a bug. I still see it in my game. Please clear cache and try again.

Units are only faded out on the maximum zoom level because on that level units start to overlap alot and become very pixelated. Additionally we wanted to include one zoom level which focuses on the political level (country borders and country names) with no units covering them.

Bane Lokken wrote:

I would like to start by saying that I haven't posted here before and up until now found no need to do so. This change has compelled me to voice my opinion in a not so favorable way.

As much as I appreciate new content and continuing improvements overall, this change is really hard for me to get behind. The removal of my own unit icon while zooming out leave me wondering if I have the correct units in the correct places. It leaves questions in my mind if I have gaps or wholes in my defensives, not to mention my Allies movements are now unclear to me. How am I supposed to assist them if I don't know where there units are unless I zoom all the way in on there Provinces?

Bottom line is that I cannot get a quick snapshot of what is going on in the match, with myself or my allies unless I really zoom in and check all of the provinces. This is a mechanic that is really cumbersome and I find totally time consuming.

I understand some people might like the changes and I know you can't please everyone, but I would really like a setting that can turn this option on or off.
      Thanks for the feedback. Maybe you can show a screenshot of what you mean, because we only fade out armies at like 90%+ zoom out to show the political sitation instead. Normally 70-80% zoom-out should already be enough to see a whole continent while still seeing all armies on them. Normally that should be totally enough to get a quick overview where in the world your troops are stationed, and you shouldnt need to zoom in closely to see your armies.
      Maybe you also experience a bug where units or labels become invisible?
    • freezy wrote:

GMTpersonalized wrote:

Freezy,

Thanks for the feedback. The issue with zoomed out unit images is that they look very pixelated and not good at all on higher zoom levels. So we replaced them with strategic icons on these levels, since it is a strategy game after all. Think of it like being a commander in front of a war table in this zoom level.If the dots in the lower corner are an issue: We are currently discussing showing the concrete unit number there again in one of the upcoming updates, so perhaps that solves some grudges.

Artmiger wrote:

Call of War 1.5

Call of War 1.0

Thanks for the feedback.
      Hidden unit numbers in cow1.0 seems to be a bug. I still see it in my game. Please clear cache and try again.

Units are only faded out on the maximum zoom level because on that level units start to overlap alot and become very pixelated. Additionally we wanted to include one zoom level which focuses on the political level (country borders and country names) with no units covering them.
      Thanks for replying Freezy.

Small suggestion from myself:
      When fully zoomed out maybe show ongoing and current battles that are taking place. That allows for quick finding of where you need to be looking on the map much easier.
      For instance, If you own all of Asia, and a large part of Russia in WaW 100 player game, zooming out is the best way to see your troop movements, where the battles are at etc without any thought of troop overlap. Literally just seeing what is going on where at a glance.

And a question:
      How would I clear cache when playing through Steam platform?

Regards,

Artmiger
    • Thank you for the reply, if I had to give it a percentage estimate I would say that I'm losing the unit icons anywhere from 25-35% going from 100% zoomed in. In other words, my unit icons are replaced by the little white diamond cards at 75%

Is this part of the bug where I should clear my cache?
      "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
      ~George Santayana~
    • Artmiger wrote:

Thanks for replying Freezy.
      Small suggestion from myself:
      When fully zoomed out maybe show ongoing and current battles that are taking place. That allows for quick finding of where you need to be looking on the map much easier.
      For instance, If you own all of Asia, and a large part of Russia in WaW 100 player game, zooming out is the best way to see your troop movements, where the battles are at etc without any thought of troop overlap. Literally just seeing what is going on where at a glance.

And a question:
      How would I clear cache when playing through Steam platform?

Regards,

Artmiger
      Nice suggestion. We actually have similar ideas ourselves how to group up units when zoomed out. For example we could visually combine multiple armies in the same region to one army group and show this in the far zoomed out mode. Stuff like this. But its not easily done so let's see when we have time to work on this.

Hmmm no idea right now how to clear cache in steam, sorry. In such a case only google helps. I read somewhere else in the forum that the issue was fixed for someone after switching to mobile view mode and then back to desktop mode, maybe another thing you can try.

Bane Lokken wrote:

Thank you for the reply, if I had to give it a percentage estimate I would say that I'm losing the unit icons anywhere from 25-35% going from 100% zoomed in. In other words, my unit icons are replaced by the little white diamond cards at 75%

Is this part of the bug where I should clear my cache?
      Thanks! It actually depends on map size, since we can only set our zoom levels with absolute numbers currently that are shared between maps, and we balanced it for the 22p Europe map. On the world map (where you probably checked this?) you can of course zoom out further so units start to fade out earlier in a relative sense (but on the same level in an absolute sense). This is also balanced in a way that icons are still visible and not pixelated or overlapping too much. Perhaps we can tweak that in a future update.
    • freezy wrote:

GMTpersonalized wrote:

Freezy,

Thanks for the feedback. The issue with zoomed out unit images is that they look very pixelated and not good at all on higher zoom levels. So we replaced them with strategic icons on these levels, since it is a strategy game after all. Think of it like being a commander in front of a war table in this zoom level.If the dots in the lower corner are an issue: We are currently discussing showing the concrete unit number there again in one of the upcoming updates, so perhaps that solves some grudges.

Artmiger wrote:

Call of War 1.5

Call of War 1.0

Thanks for the feedback.

Bane Lokken wrote:

I would like to start by saying that I haven't posted here before and up until now found no need to do so. This change has compelled me to voice my opinion in a not so favorable way.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe you can show a screenshot of what you mean, because we only fade out armies at like 90%+ zoom out to show the political sitation instead. Normally 70-80% zoom-out should already be enough to see a whole continent while still seeing all armies on them. Normally that should be totally enough to get a quick overview where in the world your troops are stationed, and you shouldnt need to zoom in closely to see your armies.Maybe you also experience a bug where units or labels become invisible?
      I’ve been playing this game for a long time mostly on mobile and most of the updates that have been introduced were great and functional and I’ve never needed to post on a forum until now. First off the update is not terrible and I’m not trying to judgy or anything since I know the devs work hard to make this game as fun as it is. My main issue with it that units disappear when zoomed all the way out. I get that the devs want to introduce a zoom focused on the political situation but in my opinion that shouldn’t really need a dedicated zoom level. Unless you share map with everyone when you zoom out you already get a good view of what the political situation is since you can’t see everyone’s units and they’re not blocking the view. I personally liked seeing units when zoomed all the way because it was a great way to see the military positions of you and your allies. For example I like to build sub barricades along all my coast and zoom out all the way to make sure that I have covered everything and there are no holes. This is especially important when playing on large maps and let’s say I have control of the whole African continent and would like to see my subs that are all around its coast. In this update I cannot and that is really not functional and makes it very difficult to play.
      other and that I can get used to the tags and placard view of the troops. The info now present is actually really great, seeing the health of my troops is helpful since I don’t need to tap on them. It is easier to click on individual troops since the icons are clearer so good job on all of that. But yea sorry for the ramble I got a little emotional lol.
      Have a good day everyone
    • Ive said it in two places now. My only gripes are that 1) the new tags are very confusing on the mobile platform. Now unless you zoom all the way in these tags cover up units and cover other tags and its just a big jumble of crap and you basically have to go through the entire map on 100% zoom. If you only have two armies in an area going at it its fine. But i have so many armies or stacks in one area it really is just a mess. 2) I also agree with whoever said they miss the red circle representing a battle. I understand its on the tag but it was nice being able to spot a battle quickly. Without having to zoom in and examining each tag. I really just dont like em.