Analyze, Adapt, Overcome! - Release Notes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tribunate wrote:

The very nature of forums are usually meant for complaints and constructive feedback. Majority of the players on CoW don't even have forum accounts set up.

It really isn't that obvious as you may think. Most comments on any forum are very critical of the subject in which they are commenting on so your opinion will be skewed.

The Coca-Cola reference was a miss as well. Coca-Cola has adapted their recipe hundreds of times (recipe for our preferences will be the inner game workings of CoW)

What hurt them was their poor marketing strategy around New Coke. Which is not the situation we are discussing here.
      And btw i made an account just to bring up this new update is bad.
    • freezy wrote:

I want to write some general words first before adressing specific posts.

The reason for the change is to present the army information in a more orderly and clean way, as the old way of attaching army info to unit images was unprofessional and pixelated. We also did this change to include additional helpful information that was not shown before. New info that is presented with these new labels:

• Enemies, allies, neutrals and own troops are better distinguished by different label colors.
      • When zoomed in we now show the concrete number of units per armor class in the army instead of showing only the overall number.
      • The health bar of the army is shown and changes color depending on the condition. The health bar and the army label itself will also pulsate slowly when an army is fighting or taking damage.
      • We added missing statuses to the labels that were not shown before, such as "defending" and we also show previously hard to see icons in a more orderly way, such as espionage snapshot or fire control settings.
      • All timers and statuses that can affect an army are now shown in the label in an orderly fashion. Since they are attached to the labels itself instead of freefloating on the map, there also wont be any more questions which army an icon belongs to.
      • All timers are now visualized by the icon background beeing filled up. Once the icon is full the specific action is happening (e.g. combat tick). Every icon now has its own distinct background color.
      • Labels can also be clicked to select an army. Hovering a label will move the corresponding army to the foreground so you can check to which it belongs to.
      So if you are making use of this additional info you should be able to play more effectively and see more information at a glance than before.

From what I gathered the most contested part of the labels is the zoomed-out view, where labels are replacing the unit image. We did this to clean up the game and remove clutter from the map, as on those view levels unit images were already pixelated alot and attached icons where hard to see.

At the heart this is a strategy game after all and not an action game, so displaying units as abstract symbols on higher zoom levels, like on a strategic WW2 or NATO map that Generals use, should imo not be a divisive change, but be a natural fit. Our intention is that when you are zoomed in you are in "realism mode", but when you are zoomed out you are in "strategic planning mode".
      The amount of units in zoomed-out labels is still shown but in an abstract form via dots: 1 dot = 1-4 units, 2 dots = 5-9 units and 3 dots = 10+ units. But we heard your feedback on this and are discussing right now to show concrete numbers again on these zoomed-out labels, probably with the next update in 2 weeks (no promise though).
      War status is also still shown when zoomed out: When fighting the label is slowly pulsating and displays a lightning symbol in its top corner.

Another contested change is that we fade out army labels and images when zoomed out as much as possible. This is intentional because on this level all armies start to overlap and become pixelated again. Instead of showing this "mess" we rather wanted to include a political layer, where players can check out the current country border and country names without being covered by alot of icons. Army labels are still shown below 90% zoom and this should be high enough to view a whole continent for a strategic overview on army positions.

We of course listen to your feedback and look forward to improving this feature in future updates. So please keep giving us feedback, but in a civil and specific way, explaining what does not work for you and why. Feedback like "this sucks, change it back" does not help us since we have no plan to remove it again.
      We also hope that you give this change a chance and play around with it before you judge it. Similar changes in the past always showed that sentiment towards them usually improves alot after 1-2 weeks after people got used to it.

If you really cannot live with this change you also still have the option to switch over to the low graphics mode in the game settings (can be opened in the lower right menu).

If anyone comments after this post about things adressed in this post, please kindly point towards this post for clarification.

Thanks everyone!
      Please as a developer it cant be that hard to add an option for us players to switch between the old and new unit views. I am struggling to remember where i have specific units placed since the unit icons dont show which aircraft type or infantry type or how many units there are without zooming in. Which is extremely annoying and boring to do on a very large map. This is constructive. All my friends also think this update is terrible for the same reasons.
    • Now that the correct thread is up, allow me to repeat here. what was said in another thread: I don't like my units to have a price-tag on them. It looks awful and is counter productive to getting a strategic overview - it's confusing. It's simply designed in a way that almost hurts the eye. Good idea, bad execution.

All the rest of the patch is very welcome and good changes.
    • GeneralBrooks18 wrote:

Tribunate wrote:

The very nature of forums are usually meant for complaints and constructive feedback. Majority of the players on CoW don't even have forum accounts set up.

It really isn't that obvious as you may think. Most comments on any forum are very critical of the subject in which they are commenting on so your opinion will be skewed.

The Coca-Cola reference was a miss as well. Coca-Cola has adapted their recipe hundreds of times (recipe for our preferences will be the inner game workings of CoW)

What hurt them was their poor marketing strategy around New Coke. Which is not the situation we are discussing here.
      Same here i only made an account as this update is such a bad move, and if Coca Cola was just poor marketing strategy then why did they very quickly change their minds and change back to the product their customers wanted????
    • Am I missing something? Why in the world would anyone want to have this reverted? The new labels provide a lot more information and innovative design. Although, I do understand the sentiment a option where they could turn off the new labels through options, isn't a bad idea, but is it really needed? I'm in a 1.0 + 1.5 right now and this minor graphical update was solid.

I just wish they added the smaller icons on the zoom in mode, to the zoom out mode. So, I could see mixed units. I really feel like it could fit in the Rhombus / Zoomed Out Label .

Example:

Infantry
      Armour
      Support

The post was edited 1 time, last by Anpere ().

• hotmechani wrote:

GeneralBrooks18 wrote:

Tribunate wrote:

Same here i only made an account as this update is such a bad move, and if Coca Cola was just poor marketing strategy then why did they very quickly change their minds and change back to the product their customers wanted????

This solidifies that most people post comments that are negative in nature on community forums. So the game developers aren't just going to go off of what a bunch of people complain on forums when it comes to a game time decision.

I really like the new update. It makes it feel like more of war planning game which is why I love playing.
    • ."This solidifies that most people post comments that are negative in nature on community forums. So the game developers aren't just going to go off of what a bunch of people complain on forums when it comes to a game time decision."

if people liked it they would support it!!! the comments are called feedback, they are negative because people dont like the update ( just mainly the zoomed out bit I believe) and therefore that is why there is so much negative feedback, listen to your customers!!!!!!! would be interested to know how many people asked for it to be changed because i dont remember anyone asking me
    • I made my own post about how I felt about the update but I will repeat what I said here, so everyone may see it easier

There has been a lot of criticism of the Analyze, Adapt, Overcome update today, and I completely agree with the criticism that is has received. First off, this seems to be another attempt to make this game more like the successful strategy game HOI4, the first attempt was the doctrines, which are a fun feature, however this is not. the unit divisions in HOI4, which, unlike this game, are actually pleasing to look at and help you with gameplay.

From what I have read on the forums and the update, it seems that the developers thought that this would be "helpful" as we would be able to gather information easier, such as the units health, what type of units are in a stack, and so forth. However, replacing a bunch of unit icons on a map with a bunch of diamonds on the map actually makes it much harder to see what units you have where. For instance, all units in the infantry tab are placed by an icon bearing the "infantry" symbol, however, are you only going to have one type of infantry in your entirely army? Likely not. Your of course going to have the regular infantry, you'll have motorized or mechanized infantry if you're a fan of fast attacks, commandos if you are a nation with the allies doctrine, and paratroopers if you are going to execute some special forces missions, however, all of these very different units are simply just replaced with an infantry symbol, making it very hard to tell what you have where. (This also includes ships, aircraft, ordinance units, tanks, and nuclear weapons, which just use the plane icon, no difference between a nuke bomber and an interceptor for sure) However, I can almost already hear the developers typing away "You can zoom in to see what units you have where" and yes, you can do that, however for people like me who are on much larger maps such as the world at war and historic maps, it's extremely important to be able to see specifically what you have where in the "larger picture" and forcing us to zoom in on the map to see what we have where is very tedious, and not helpful to the "bigger" picture of the map, where many of us will end up having gigantic nations that span multiple continents. Additionally, you still have to zoom in fairly close to even see the unit "icons" appear on the map.

My second complaint is it is now very hard to see what units of yours are under fire, as the new lightning symbol is very small and not easy to see. before it was a large circle, and it was clearly obvious to see where your units were attacking / being attacked, and how long it would take before their next attack would take place. Now all we get is a tiny lightning symbol at the top of the unit icon that makes it very hard to see which units are being attacked and which are not, making it harder for players to locate which of their units are engaged or where they may need to pull away from, which is disastrous for anyone who is trying to not lose any units. Additionally, the "dot system" that has replaced the actual unit number is contrary to what this update was supposed to be about, making it easier for players to find out more information easier. It's especially unhelpful as the 3 dots could be for a stack with anywhere from 10 to 1000 units, very unhelpful.

These unit icons actually make the game less fun to play as well. I'm sure most of the players here enjoyed not having to zoom in to a microscopic level to see their tanks or fighters moving across the map. Now we are all stuck with a bunch of boring, tasteless diamonds that don't even look good.

This update seems to be another feature that nobody asked for and nobody wanted, and yet the developers still seem surprised that nobody likes it. Maybe if they did polls asking what people what changed, they would start getting somewhere and help make this a better game

The post was edited 1 time, last by CorporalCole ().

• CorporalCole wrote:

I made my own post about how I felt about the update but I will repeat what I said here, so everyone may see it easier

There has been a lot of criticism of the Analyze, Adapt, Overcome update today, and I completely agree with the criticism that is has received. First off, this seems to be another attempt to make this game more like the successful strategy game HOI4, the first attempt was the doctrines, which are a fun feature, however this is not. the unit divisions in HOI4, which, unlike this game, are actually pleasing to look at and help you with gameplay.

From what I have read on the forums and the update, it seems that the developers thought that this would be "helpful" as we would be able to gather information easier, such as the units health, what type of units are in a stack, and so forth. However, replacing a bunch of unit icons on a map with a bunch of diamonds on the map actually makes it much harder to see what units you have where. For instance, all units in the infantry tab are placed by an icon bearing the "infantry" symbol, however, are you only going to have one type of infantry in your entirely army? Likely not. Your of course going to have the regular infantry, you'll have motorized or mechanized infantry if you're a fan of fast attacks, commandos if you are a nation with the allies doctrine, and paratroopers if you are going to execute some special forces missions, however, all of these very different units are simply just replaced with an infantry symbol, making it very hard to tell what you have where. (This also includes ships, aircraft, ordinance units, tanks, and nuclear weapons, which just use the plane icon, no difference between a nuke bomber and an interceptor for sure) However, I can almost already hear the developers typing away "You can zoom in to see what units you have where" and yes, you can do that, however for people like me who are on much larger maps such as the world at war and historic maps, it's extremely important to be able to see specifically what you have where in the "larger picture" and forcing us to zoom in on the map to see what we have where is very tedious, and not helpful to the "bigger" picture of the map, where many of us will end up having gigantic nations that span multiple continents. Additionally, you still have to zoom in fairly close to even see the unit "icons" appear on the map.

My second complaint is it is now very hard to see what units of yours are under fire, as the new lightning symbol is very small and not easy to see. before it was a large circle, and it was clearly obvious to see where your units were attacking / being attacked, and how long it would take before their next attack would take place. Now all we get is a tiny lightning symbol at the top of the unit icon that makes it very hard to see which units are being attacked and which are not, making it harder for players to locate which of their units are engaged or where they may need to pull away from, which is disastrous for anyone who is trying to not lose any units. Additionally, the "dot system" that has replaced the actual unit number is contrary to what this update was supposed to be about, making it easier for players to find out more information easier. It's especially unhelpful as the 3 dots could be for a stack with anywhere from 10 to 1000 units, very unhelpful.

These unit icons actually make the game less fun to play as well. I'm sure most of the players here enjoyed not having to zoom in to a microscopic level to see their tanks or fighters moving across the map. Now we are all stuck with a bunch of boring, tasteless diamonds that don't even look good.

This update seems to be another feature that nobody asked for and nobody wanted, and yet the developers still seem surprised that nobody likes it. Maybe if they did polls asking what people what changed, they would start getting somewhere and help make this a better game
      Great job! Perfect explanation! I hate how my units now dissapear at max zoom out level. SOmetimes I just want to do things fast and not constantly zoom in. Just revert this update nobody likes it whats so hard to understand? ?(
    • Here are some of my opinions about this update.

I personally think this is just a horrifying way of making the game more like HOI4. I would prefer to keep this game different as I like the call of war style better.

1. I can barely keep track of my troops

2. I can barely see my troops

3. It's extremely difficult to find troops

4. It is hard to move troops or stack them

5. I feel like this is completely useless

6. Please revert this update or turn this function into a setting

Another thing is, these 3 dots can represent a stack anywhere between 10-100 troops which is unhelpful

The neutral label color does not look right to me for some reason

These labels are just way too confusing to understand compared to the old version.

Love this game though :) just hope this new system turns into a setting.

Battle on Generals!
    • MKS Hypno YT wrote:

Here are some of my opinions about this update.

I personally think this is just a horrifying way of making the game more like HOI4. I would prefer to keep this game different as I like the call of war style better.

1. I can barely keep track of my troops

2. I can barely see my troops

3. It's extremely difficult to find troops

4. It is hard to move troops or stack them

5. I feel like this is completely useless

6. Please revert this update or turn this function into a setting

Another thing is, these 3 dots can represent a stack anywhere between 10-100 troops which is unhelpful

The neutral label color does not look right to me for some reason

These labels are just way too confusing to understand compared to the old version.

Love this game though :) just hope this new system turns into a setting.

Battle on Generals!
      Very nice structure. Lets hope they can revert or at least make these changes a setting.
    • freezy wrote:

If you really cannot live with this change you also still have the option to switch over to the low graphics mode in the game settings (can be opened in the lower right menu).
      I don't like the new labels but i still want to play the game in enhanced graphics mode. The new labelling of units should be an option that we can toggle or not. Let the players chose if they want this option or not but don't impose it on us.

However i understand the arguments for the change and the advantages it has. Still I like the unit graphics of old and i want to switch the new one off but without losing the enhanced graphics.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • The new labels are annoying since when i zoom out i just see a box and dont even know what unit it is, and when i zoom in the unit appears and so does the box and the map becomes overcrowded, and it takes to long to assign o@rders when zoomed in. Also a bunch of white boxes in the middle of a WW2 style map looks weird
    • Hey guys, as mentioned in my earlier post (please read it, >link<) we are currently collecting your feedback, bugs and ideas for improving the army labels.
      We have no intention of removing the feature again, as we really believe that it is good for the game. It simplifies and streamlines the overview while also introducing new helpful functionality. But we agree that there is still room for improvement and that's why we want to keep improving it with your help.
      For example one change often requested here that we will do is to show the concrete number of units again also when zoomed out (when labels become diamond shaped). I think that this already will solve alot of problems for most players. Due to our update cycle changes won't come earlier than 2 weeks though, I hope you can get used to the current version in that time.
    • I think the new update is something you just need to get used to, I have some slight concernes about how far you can zoom out without getting the new icons, but thats it. It looks fine, and gives a real feel it. If you would wage war in real life, you would also have division names and numbers (unit types in this game) on your land map.

I might see a problem though. Since all the allies icons will be green, I think it will be hard to see which troops belong to which ally for example when they are all stacked together in a combined attack or defense. The same with enemy's and neutrals. Yes you could zoom in to see, but im just talking about the new icons. What if you would add the countries flag into the icon, and add either a red, brown or green borders to the icon or a green/red/brown effect over the icon. Sort of the same way as it works with troops.

Edited Problem:
      I think it is really unclear that when you move a plane somewhere, that the icon will teleport over to the location it is going to, while it issn't even there yet. If shows your plane has already arrived which can result in some confusion.

Edited Idea:
      Add the division numbers somewhere, like P9 (9th Infantry Section for example). Instead of needed to click on it, its a bit of an under used function.
      The Best Defense Is A Good Offense.

The post was edited 1 time, last by kittkarrkitt ().