Analyze, Adapt, Overcome! - Release Notes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Analyze, Adapt, Overcome! - Release Notes

Release Notes - 2021-01-12

Attention, Generals!

With our first update of the year, we rework the way armies are displayed on the map by implementing new army labels for all branches. From now on you will be able to gather all relevant information about army compositions, their allegiances and their current status much quicker in order to formulate a battle plan and stay one step ahead of
      your adversaries.

Today’s update also includes some balancing changes and multiple bug fixes. For a complete overview please take a look at the list below:

New Features:

Any ambitious Officer will highly value the ability to gather precise information quickly and without delay. For this exact reason we have completely reworked the army labels for both the zoomed-in and zoomed-out view. From now on you will immediately be able to get all the crucial information about an army by simply looking at the new army label displayed next to it.

While zoomed-in the new labels will include the respective armies national flag, a health bar, information about its current status represented by unique icons, as well as the overall composition of the army as shown by individual icons for different troop branches.

While zoomed-out the labels will be more simplistic but still provide all necessary information to analyze the situation on a larger scale. The displayed unit icon will depend on the heaviest armored unit class present while the overall unit count will be represented by 1-3 dots in the lower part of the label depending on the armies size.

Last but not least a player’s relation with an army will be colour coded in both views. Enemy armies will field a red label, neutral forces will be brown, allies are represented by green labels and own forces will be displayed in white.

Please note that the new army labels will only be implemented in games of Call of War 1.5 and also not be enabled if low graphics mode has been selected.

Balancing:
      • We took note of your opinions concerning the AI’s behavior and how frequently AI nations declare wars on players whose global popularity had dropped to low levels. From now on AI nations will be slightly more hesitant to go to war with unpopular players. This does not mean they will idly stand by while players conquer the globe but should result in less cases of players receiving multiple new declarations of war every day.
      • The overall hitpoints of Aircraft Carriers have been reduced and are now identical to those of Battleships at all levels. Their damage values have also been slightly lowered.
      • The overall costs to construct Infrastructure have been reduced which will allow players to establish an efficient road network earlier in the game, increasing strategic flexibility should they be willing to invest the resources.
      • Please note that all balance changes will only affect games created after the release and won’t be implemented in classic games.
      Bug fixes:
      • The visual indicator for provinces at risk of triggering a revolt was not displayed for values between 0-1%. We adjusted this so any chance for a revolt taking place will trigger the pulsating, red hatching effect even for very low values.
      • Upgrading units caused their active fire control orders to be reset. This is no longer the case as issued fire control orders will be kept and executed after the upgrading process is done.
      • A bug has been fixed that caused a player’s own coalition icon to be displaced in the diplomacy screen when playing on mobile devices.
      • A bug has been fixed that caused the infantry section of a provinces production list to not be scrollable on mobile devices when all units have been unlocked.
      • On mobile devices the army info popup contained icons of the wrong colour. These have been unified and will now be displayed correctly.
      • When selecting multiple armies at once their information sections for “Activity” and “Status” sometimes displayed text incorrectly. From now on these sections will always contain centered text.
      • A bug that caused the chat window to immediately jump to the newest received message as soon as one has been received has been fixed. You will now be able to read up on older chat messages without having to scroll back up multiple times if you are in an active conversation.
      • For some language settings the email registration popup contained slightly displaced interface buttons, which has been fixed.

We hope you like the redesigned army labels as much as we do and take advantage of the easily processable information they contain when planning your next move in detail, as well as in hasty situations that call for quick decisions. In addition to that make sure to test the effects of today’s balance changes and adapt your strategies accordingly.

Best of luck general, now prove yourself on the battlefield!

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • Arcorian wrote:

Any ambitious Officer will highly value the ability to gather precise information quickly and without delay. For this exact reason we have completely reworked the army labels for both the zoomed-in and zoomed-out view. From now on you will immediately be able to get all the crucial information about an army by simply looking at the new army label displayed next to it.
      I like the new labels if they were for units selected or could be toggled like relations view. However for managing larger wars, especially in the 100 map this is not a positive feature and feels very forced. I hope this can be made optional in another update and I hope that can be done quickly. It also seems to be bugged for some users/devices/browsers where some of my alliance mates cannot see their troops at all no matter the zoom level.
    • But ok for those who never played this game but tried to "make it better" why the heck... when I zoom in for tactical view I still need a spyglass to see the numbers of my units? And why the heck... when I zoom out for strategical view I see some squares with the type of the unit but AGAIN don`t see the numbers of it... for example one submarine appears the same like 3 submarines... If that is your "better information for making a battle plan" hah HA ... And why the heck... my planes are broken in the same two zooms ... when I zoom out they are on target when I zoom in they travel to it? Is it only me who see that everything is wrong???

I will tell you only one thing more and will silence after that... I play online games for about ... from the beginning of the online games :D Have seen pile of good games leaded to destruction after "make it better" attempts... this game heads that way... and it hurts. You can`t make something better after it is almost perfect...

"While zoomed-out the labels will be more simplistic but still provide all necessary information to analyze the situation on a larger scale."
      Oh god come down here and take your debts... Last one promise. HOW I CAN MAKE BETTER PLAN AS I DON`T SEE THE NUMBERS??????????

And very last... PLEASE GAME DEVELOPERS WHEN YOU MAKE AN GRAPHICS UPDATE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE IT SELECTABLE... WHEN YOU SEE HOW MUCH PLAYERS SELECT TO USE IT YOU WILL KNOW WHERE IS THE TRUTH!
    • denislav77777 wrote:

I will tell you only one thing more and will silence after that... I play online games for about ... from the beginning of the online games :D Have seen pile of good games leaded to destruction after "make it better" attempts... this game heads that way... and it hurts. You can`t make something better after it is almost perfect...
      give me one example of this so called pile of games
    • denislav77777 wrote:

And very last... PLEASE GAME DEVELOPERS WHEN YOU MAKE AN GRAPHICS UPDATE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MAKE IT SELECTABLE... WHEN YOU SEE HOW MUCH PLAYERS SELECT TO USE IT YOU WILL KNOW WHERE IS THE TRUTH!
      It is sort of selectable... you have to turn on low graphics mode...
      "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • I want to write some general words first before adressing specific posts.

The reason for the change is to present the army information in a more orderly and clean way, as the old way of attaching army info to unit images was unprofessional and pixelated. We also did this change to include additional helpful information that was not shown before. New info that is presented with these new labels:

• Enemies, allies, neutrals and own troops are better distinguished by different label colors.
      • When zoomed in we now show the concrete number of units per armor class in the army instead of showing only the overall number.
      • The health bar of the army is shown and changes color depending on the condition. The health bar and the army label itself will also pulsate slowly when an army is fighting or taking damage.
      • We added missing statuses to the labels that were not shown before, such as "defending" and we also show previously hard to see icons in a more orderly way, such as espionage snapshot or fire control settings.
      • All timers and statuses that can affect an army are now shown in the label in an orderly fashion. Since they are attached to the labels itself instead of freefloating on the map, there also wont be any more questions which army an icon belongs to.
      • All timers are now visualized by the icon background beeing filled up. Once the icon is full the specific action is happening (e.g. combat tick). Every icon now has its own distinct background color.
      • Labels can also be clicked to select an army. Hovering a label will move the corresponding army to the foreground so you can check to which it belongs to.
      So if you are making use of this additional info you should be able to play more effectively and see more information at a glance than before.

From what I gathered the most contested part of the labels is the zoomed-out view, where labels are replacing the unit image. We did this to clean up the game and remove clutter from the map, as on those view levels unit images were already pixelated alot and attached icons where hard to see.

At the heart this is a strategy game after all and not an action game, so displaying units as abstract symbols on higher zoom levels, like on a strategic WW2 or NATO map that Generals use, should imo not be a divisive change, but be a natural fit. Our intention is that when you are zoomed in you are in "realism mode", but when you are zoomed out you are in "strategic planning mode".
      The amount of units in zoomed-out labels is still shown but in an abstract form via dots: 1 dot = 1-4 units, 2 dots = 5-9 units and 3 dots = 10+ units. But we heard your feedback on this and are discussing right now to show concrete numbers again on these zoomed-out labels, probably with the next update in 2 weeks (no promise though).
      War status is also still shown when zoomed out: When fighting the label is slowly pulsating and displays a lightning symbol in its top corner.

Another contested change is that we fade out army labels and images when zoomed out as much as possible. This is intentional because on this level all armies start to overlap and become pixelated again. Instead of showing this "mess" we rather wanted to include a political layer, where players can check out the current country border and country names without being covered by alot of icons. Army labels are still shown below 90% zoom and this should be high enough to view a whole continent for a strategic overview on army positions.

We of course listen to your feedback and look forward to improving this feature in future updates. So please keep giving us feedback, but in a civil and specific way, explaining what does not work for you and why. Feedback like "this sucks, change it back" does not help us since we have no plan to remove it again.
      We also hope that you give this change a chance and play around with it before you judge it. Similar changes in the past always showed that sentiment towards them usually improves alot after 1-2 weeks after people got used to it.

If you really cannot live with this change you also still have the option to switch over to the low graphics mode in the game settings (can be opened in the lower right menu).

If anyone comments after this post about things adressed in this post, please kindly point towards this post for clarification.

Thanks everyone!
    • The very nature of forums are usually meant for complaints and constructive feedback. Majority of the players on CoW don't even have forum accounts set up.

It really isn't that obvious as you may think. Most comments on any forum are very critical of the subject in which they are commenting on so your opinion will be skewed.

The Coca-Cola reference was a miss as well. Coca-Cola has adapted their recipe hundreds of times (recipe for our preferences will be the inner game workings of CoW)

What hurt them was their poor marketing strategy around New Coke. Which is not the situation we are discussing here.