Important Lessons for New Players (That I Learned The Hard Way)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• vietcong2005 wrote:

I destroyed 3 Day 1 attackers without losing a single unit.
      thats is not necesary you beeing good but your enemies beeing bad.

I can defeat 5 players at the same time if they are not active or smart, but i cant even defeat a player who can spend all his day playing games and he knows how to play.
      "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"
    • Hornetkeeper wrote:

Sorry, I will have to say this is nonsense. You're forgetting a factor that every newbie should learn before literally anything else, called numbers advantage (Lanchester's square law for the nerds).
      As so many people go inactive, even on WaW, I would say your claim here is just completely misleading. You know how many people just leave infantry on their starting positions... That means all the infantry regiments are single.
      Any single unit in the game can be rushed and killed by a stack of 10, defensive bonus or not. But that's besides the point. I can simply counter with the simple question: "Do you know how many players don't leave their enemy on their starting positions?"

Hornetkeeper wrote:

Of course such an example is pretty crazy and we haven't taken RNG into consideration. But it shows how numbers advantage can change the game. We were using an example with twice the defence than attack, which is not even true for infantry.
      I have conquered a country on day 1 with just 10 units like that. I know those inactive countries are easy and no one finds it fun conquering them, but it's so common to encounter them, so saying that "the attacker will always lose" is almost the opposite of the truth. Sorry, I can't stand random misleading claims;)
      My claim counts for 99% of the games on COW. Firstly, never underestimate your opponent. Secondly, you are the exception of the exception, a regular COW player can't pull off what you and I can, lets just be honest.

Your example only works when you attack a player that is inactive and hasn't moved his troops, won't come online in the future and who doesn't know how to stack units. There's a lot of unknown quantities just there. It's not that easy for a regular COW player to evaluate if someone is inactive. Hell, even I have been surprised by my wrong judgement.

So maybe let me rephrase: "In a 1 vs 1 with two active players the attacker will ALWAYS lose" Happy now? :thumbsup:
      Not only is infantry 50% stronger in defense but the defender also has his core bonus of 15% which means that he takes 15% less damage from the enemy but deals 15% more damage to the enemy. This results in roughly an 80% difference between attacker and defender. I know on which one I'm betting.

My impression is that your experience is rather the exception and it's not able to generalize on the average COW public. :tumbleweed:
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • BMfox wrote:

So maybe let me rephrase: "In a 1 vs 1 with two active players the attacker will ALWAYS lose" Happy now?
      Not only is infantry 50% stronger in defense but the defender also has his core bonus of 15% which means that he takes 15% less damage from the enemy but deals 15% more damage to the enemy. This results in roughly an 80% difference between attacker and defender. I know on which one I'm betting.

My impression is that your experience is rather the exception and it's not able to generalize on the average COW public.
      Exactly what I wanted. Thanks. Happy now :D
      But, I quite often see the day 1 attacker win on WaW maps. I mean less often than not, but still, that they never win would be an exaggeration, is what I meant. Good players often check the stats of their neighbours and scout with planes. That way you can tell pretty accurately. I also sometimes attack on day 1 myself, but yes, I prefer day 2 when I get a few arties... though a day 1 attack has never failed for me. Just know when not to and pick the right target.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper
    • There is at least two or even three misunderstood points of view.
      There is Strategie of Blitzkrieg, wich mean, depend on playerstyle:
      A) Blitzkrieg is same with zerg rush of other rts (real time strategy) games. This point of view of most players, also a wrong one. Because less then 30% players are over average good at CoW.

B) Blitzkrieg mean attack as soon as possible and dont stop warmashine kind of economy. This can be succeful, if your enemies can not use defencive advantages and have less onlinetime. However it end in overmilitarized economy, so you can not research och build something further, so you go to be unfexible against new possible threat. If new threat is experienced prepared player, you gonna be killed, or at least forced to change your warfare style, or forced to go all in and rush core provinces of enemy.

C) Blitzkrieg as simulation of german warfare style of WW2 1939-1941:
      victourious one. I dont explain what it mean. Everyone can read how they did, statistical every third player has enough text comprehension skills. (Remember, they was forced to change his warfarestyle too, but elements of this warfare was envolved in modern till novadays warfarestyle.)

D) "locust" warfare: succefull zerg rush taktiks, without losses ressources for economy, but with several diplomatical insurances.

F) Flexible use of all types of this. Use of spoils of war for develope of own economy, not for simple boosting of troops.
    • Last Warrior wrote:

There is at least two or even three misunderstood points of view.
      There is Strategie of Blitzkrieg, wich mean, depend on playerstyle:
      A) Blitzkrieg is same with zerg rush of other rts (real time strategy) games. This point of view of most players, also a wrong one. Because less then 30% players are over average good at CoW.

B) Blitzkrieg mean attack as soon as possible and dont stop warmashine kind of economy. This can be succeful, if your enemies can not use defencive advantages and have less onlinetime. However it end in overmilitarized economy, so you can not research och build something further, so you go to be unfexible against new possible threat. If new threat is experienced prepared player, you gonna be killed, or at least forced to change your warfare style, or forced to go all in and rush core provinces of enemy.

C) Blitzkrieg as simulation of german warfare style of WW2 1939-1941:
      victourious one. I dont explain what it mean. Everyone can read how they did, statistical every third player has enough text comprehension skills. (Remember, they was forced to change his warfarestyle too, but elements of this warfare was envolved in modern till novadays warfarestyle.)

D) "locust" warfare: succefull zerg rush taktiks, without losses ressources for economy, but with several diplomatical insurances.

F) Flexible use of all types of this. Use of spoils of war for develope of own economy, not for simple boosting of troops.
      If you attacked immedietly, I would simply pull back my troops and form a defensive line. Even worse, I ,might convince your neighbor to attack you at the same .
    • vietcong2005 wrote:

If you attacked immedietly, I would simply pull back my troops and form a defensive line. Even worse, I ,might convince your neighbor to attack you at the same .
      You can not even use quote right, why do you answer me, i did not asked anything. Learn read and learn use citat if you want comment one of sentence, there is no need quote complete text.

And be sure, if I attack you, you get not many chances to pull back and make some firetraps. And those troops wich gonna defend few most important provinces will be not eble defend less important provinces, so you loss several provinces for free. It would be already victory over you in long terms. Why do you think your attacker gonna waste own troops one your strongholds? Grab land for free, pull doubled artillery and destroy strongholds witout single losses.

And who said i use all my troops on same front area?
      And most important, who said, iwould prefer rushing over slow domination? But yeah, i know how to use blitz right and victorious.
    • Last Warrior wrote:

vietcong2005 wrote:

You can not even use quote right, why do you answer me, i did not asked anything. Learn read and learn use citat if you want comment one of sentence, there is no need quote complete text.
      And be sure, if I attack you, you get not many chances to pull back and make some firetraps. And those troops wich gonna defend few most important provinces will be not eble defend less important provinces, so you loss several provinces for free. It would be already victory over you in long terms. Why do you think your attacker gonna waste own troops one your strongholds? Grab land for free, pull doubled artillery and destroy strongholds witout single losses.

And who said i use all my troops on same front area?
      And most important, who said, iwould prefer rushing over slow domination? But yeah, i know how to use blitz right and victorious.
      Sometimes giving up territory is worth it if you win in the end. This player decided to blitz me. I immedietly moved my troops back. I gave up one city to make him feel overconfident. He then ran straight into my 10 unit stack and his army got annihilated. His coalition kicked him and decided to let me join. Your blitz only works on inactive players.
    • vietcong2005 wrote:

This player decided to blitz me. I immedietly moved my troops back. I gave up one city to make him feel overconfident. He then ran straight into my 10 unit stack and his army got annihilated. His coalition kicked him and decided to let me join....
      Again:
      read carefull:

Last Warrior wrote:

And:

vietcong2005 wrote:

Your blitz only works on inactive players.
      It is not MY blitz.
      And no. Right blitz work everytime. Defender must defend more provinces, then atacker can attack with cumulated forces. Active atacker win even active defender. Inaktive un prepared atacker lose even against good prepared inactive defender.
      Good defender need to be more active then atacker. Good atacker need to be more prepared then defender. That is all.

I dont write here exact tipps of warfare. But there is more then enough
    • Reckless attackers are easy to beat. I had 3 active players attacking me. They tried everything and every direction. They even attempted the amphibious operation. They failed when my troops quickly intercepted them. I crushed one nation north of me. Then the after fending off attempts to relive their allies, my troops launched an operation with bombers against them and defeated them easily.
    • It's simple - like Kenny said - "You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away
      And know when to run 8o
      "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
      General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run