when to conquor a capital city

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• when to conquor a capital city

as a new player, I'm still trying to work through the various strategies involved in the game.
      I'm playing Sweden, and have so far rolled up Denmark, Norway, Greater Finland. In each of these cases, due to placement and where I stacked my armies, I ended up clearing their provinces before taking their capitals last.

Now, I am about to embark ona great Russian crusade. Lenningrad has fallen. I can now clear the rest of the country, but am intrigued with a spear-thust straight at Moscow, as it is relatively close.

I was wondering the pros and cons involved. I know I'll capture their cash stockpile, but will they just rebuild a capital elsewhere and continue, or will this devastate their morale and render them unable to continue producing a quality defense?
    • If you can take capital(when you take it, you get 50% of cash he has on hand) quickly, they may/will build another to stabilize their morale. Then you can aim for that one, get 50% of his cash on hand, and so on and so forth. Keep a reserve force on hand just for that eventuality. You may have to fight through 5-6 provinces, so keep that in mind.
    • Taking capitals is very interesting.

Like already mentioned if gives you $, but it also gives you a 10% moral boost for your provinces. You might have noticed that newly conquered provinces and provinces that are far away from your capital might have low moral. Especially on the worldmap the very distant provinces may suffer moral loss because of their distance up to 39 points. Conquering a capital will increase their moral by 10, so it might be interesting to plan ahead on conquering at least 1 capital in like every 2 days. It keeps the moral decline in check.

AI controlled countries tend to rebuild their capital if they can, so it's possible to conquer their capital multiple times as mentioned above. Human controlled players lean more to just giving up and not rebuilding the capital. The enemy also receives a 25 points moral loss for loosing the capital, very usefull vs human oponents.
    • Depends if your clearly winning or not.

If your winning then you want to take the capital at the very end (or very close to day change), because all newly captured provinces have 25% morale which is a 32% chance of rebelling, when you capture Capital those go up to 35% which has 0% chance of rebelling, so as soon as you capture capital, all newly captured provinces will have no chance of rebelling.

That means if you can kill an entire country before daychange and take the capital last, the only province with any risk of rebellion is the capital itself, all other provinces will have 35% morale and thus outside of rebellion range.

If your not winning then just go for it as fast as you can as it will both limit the enemy resources and morale for future fights.
    • BloodEagle wrote:

I was wondering the pros and cons involved. I know I'll capture their cash stockpile, but will they just rebuild a capital elsewhere and continue, or will this devastate their morale and render them unable to continue producing a quality defense?
      Yes, the cash thing is good. But it is good to capture a capital city just before a day change, so that any provinces you captured that day will go up to 35% morale and not rebel. Also, that will render him useless to send reinforcements to put down the rebellions in his own provinces.
      It's been a while