Playing as Argentina in Historical World War

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Playing as Argentina in Historical World War

So today I joined a 1939 Historical World War map as Argentina. I've never played as Argentina before, and I realised that I started out with like only 10 units. I would need to expand my army fast. I've made friends with Brazil, and we plan on attacking the AI bordering us, the move north. Since quite a few players want advice for playing as Argentina, I'm going to record my progress here.
    • nice
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Day 2

As I mentioned earlier, Argentina starts out with a very small amount of units. I've been focusing on researching in the armor and ordiance divisions, especially light tanks. I've invaded Lower Bolivia, and I expect to get their cities by tomorrow. I haven't had much immediate threats, but I have a small food shortage, which I've been able to make up for due to my surplus of metal and oil.
    • Andromeda wrote:

Day 2

As I mentioned earlier, Argentina starts out with a very small amount of units. I've been focusing on researching in the armor and ordiance divisions, especially light tanks. I've invaded Lower Bolivia, and I expect to get their cities by tomorrow. I haven't had much immediate threats, but I have a small food shortage, which I've been able to make up for due to my surplus of metal and oil.
      you dont need heavy units go cheap and effective units like light tanks armored cars submarines etc.
    • Day 3

So now I've taken Bolivia's capital, Sucre, as well as their other two cities. All that's left of them are a few provinces to the north. Brazil hasn't done anything (he might go inactive) so I'm going to attack Paraguay and Peru. I've been producing mostly light tanks, mot. infantry, and artillery, matter of fact I'm researching level 2 light tanks right now. Most of the Americas has been silent; the only other warfare going on in the continent is Mexico attacking the Central American countries.
    • Day 4

So I forgot to mention that USA gave me right of way yesterday, but he hasn't done anything yet. My tanks/arty are lined up at the Peruvian and Paragui borders, which I will invade shortly. Food is not much of an issue, as I have built industries in my food-producing cores. Brazil still hasn't done anything, so there are no immediate threats to me right now. I'm also going to produce a few tactical bombers; they might be helpful when attacking the "smaller" countries.
    • Day 5

As I am not able to see the map 24/7, I am not sure how Paraguay defeated my stack of 4 good Level 2 light tanks at Asuncion. Either they have lots of anti tanks there, or something...
      My conquest of Peru is going great. I've already took 2 of their 4 cities, and I expect to be in the capital by tomorrow. Brazil is still doing nothing, which wonders me. USA and I still have RoW, but again, he isn't doing anything.
    • Days 6 & 7

I'm going to stay active in this game more to find out how Paraguay is still alive. Meanwhile I'm almost done gobbling up Peru, and I have the 9th biggest economy :) USA has gone inactive, but Mexico wants me to make an alliance so I did and he will join shortly. Brazil is still active, but hasn't done any attacking.
    • Days 8 & 9

My troops are preparing to attack Uruguay and Ecuador. Peru has fallen, and I have finally became economically stable. As for other players, Brazil is still active, but still hasn't attacked anyone yet. I have shared maps with Mexico, and USA is still inactive. In first place is the Soviet Union, with 350 VP's, followed by USA (280) and UK (240)
    • I've won the historical map as Argentina :)

The best advice I can give is to destroy Brazil early, while your front line is still narrow. This lets you focus your units and fight efficiently. Once your border with Brazil gets long (Bolivia, Peru, Colombia, Venezuela) then fighting gets difficult. Large, forested provinces, far from your production centers. Units coming across the border all over the continent. Bloody fights with inadequate artillery support. Awful.

Reminds me of trying to take the USSR late in the game. Front lines that go on forever, units coming from every direction, counter-attacks that find mismatches like Tank Destroyers coming at your armor columns. Total mess. So much easier to take him out when he has to counter-attack where you are strongest, and where you can control the battle.
    • Thank you for your updates. I’ve regularly played as Argentina over the past year. What I can suggest is that early game concentrate on armoured cars and artillery to help take the AI countries surrounding you. Build an airforce of tactical bombers and keep building them throughout the game. A continent is much easier to navigate quickly with an airforce, just ensure you have adequate airfields to get to where you need to. Tactical bombers will make light work of most of AI countries, just ensure you can back it up with artillery and armoured cars to move quickly or hold the line and you can take SA quickly.