Encirclement

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Encirclement

Many of us have been suggesting this for a long time. We should add encirclements to Call of War. When your troops surround enemy ground troops on all sides within a province, the condition of the unit will decrease by 5% every hour. Eventually the unit will be annihilated. This mechanic will be useful against a more powerful enemy. This will actually make the battles more tactical and strategical. Battles in Call of War are always based on numbers, the person that has the most troops wins most of the times. Encirclements have been used to defeat enemies since the beginning of Mankind. Hannibal Barca, a famous general, used encirclement to defeat an Roman army that outnumbered them. In World War II Germans defeated the much more experienced and powerful French army. Although, France had more tanks and experience, yet the Germans still won by encircling the French Troops. This mechanic will increase strategical gameplay and it was an important tactic in World War II.
    • I agree that encirclement helped the German offensive and that it should be added to CoW but I wouldn’t call the French army more experienced. In 1940 the French army was outdated and for the large part inexperienced due to the failure to modernize and the lack of drills, training exercises and incompetent officers. Now the French fought bravely no one can criticize their soldiers for losing the war but in the end when the central government lets Germany outpace them then there is only so much you can do. Fun fact in the 1940s the French army still used motorcycles to deliver orders to the front line instead of using portable radios or deployable radios. To put it in CoW terms 5 lv2 infantry is inferior to 3 lv4.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
    • The reason they did not use radios of the fear of that the enemy would listen to it. In terms of training and experience the French were more superior than Germans. Germany did not expect war when they invaded Poland. Therefore, most of their troops were newly drafted. While, French troops had been in the army for more than a year and were more experienced. Their tanks were much more superior to German tanks. Germans mostly had Panzer I and Panzer II. Both were bad compared to most French tanks. Only Panzer III and Panzer IV were on par with French tanks. Even worse France was one of the only nations to have Heavy Tanks. However, France had incapable generals, while German generals like Manstein were much more capable. Therefore, I think encirclements should be added to COW.
    • The German troops had the experience of the annexation of Austria (no combat, but for coordination it was definitely more than a normal exercise) and critically Poland. The Air Force had also the experience of Spain. France had none of that.

The German planes were indisputably superior to the French planes, the French tanks were hardly superior ; sure the few B1B were too armored for the Germans but they were still not good tank as most of them had mechanical issues and strategical limitation. The Somua S35 was not better than a Panzer IV or even arguably a Panzer III, and the rest of the French armored line-up was pretty bad (except armored cars).
    • Most German soldiers were recruited after the battle of Poland during the battle of France. The French had Char B1 and the S35 which could compete if not beat Panzer III and Panzer IV. Most German tanks were Panzer I and Panzer II, which were basically as powerful as the Renault FT. However, France still had more tanks than Germany. The French lacked air superiority, but their Air Force was still quite formidable, and they had British assistance. French artillery was much better than German artillery, and the French had more. Although, some soldiers fought in Spain and Poland. They were fighting against a bunch of third world countries that had no tech. The majority of the German army did not have this experience. Most German soldiers were newly drafted. It was only because France did not know how to their tanks. Therefore, strategy played a big row in the defeating France rather than army strength.
    • Most historians agree that French tanks were at least on par, or slightly superior to German models. They had their drawbacks (notably the one-man turrets which put extreme pressure on the commander), but so did the German models. Their numbers were slightly in favor of France too, especially with the (tankwise inferior, but still) British expeditionary force around as well.

France suffered their crushing 1940 defeat due to the failing doctrine; most tanks were dispersed among infantry formation along the entire front and thus rendered ineffective, while the Germans used concentrated armored formations which could operate independently, even behind enemy lines. I don't really know if you should call an army that keeps holding on to an outdated doctrine "experienced" or not; they were certainly not experienced in modern, mobile operations like the Germans.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • 5% hp per hour is a bit too much, it should be measured in half days...
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • I would definitely support an encirclement mechanic which would add a more strategic element to the gameplay instead of just throwing your troops to the front.

In addition, a specific buff to this for the Axis doctrine would be excellent to see!
    • there should be a way tto quickly heal units, after tthey break a siege, as a sort of reward for persevering, rinforcements
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • In my opinion, if we add this rule, it should be 10% by DAY max (calculated end of day).

It won't hurt that much for isolated units, but will be significant enough for maxi stacks that they are forced to move.

5% by hour opens the risks to see your army lose 25% or more of its combat capacity because you were surrounded by paras in the 7 or 8 hours you were sleeping, or because there was a rebellion on your back at the end of the day.
    • Habo778 wrote:

I agree that encirclement helped the German offensive and that it should be added to CoW but I wouldn’t call the French army more experienced. In 1940 the French army was outdated and for the large part inexperienced due to the failure to modernize and the lack of drills, training exercises and incompetent officers. Now the French fought bravely no one can criticize their soldiers for losing the war but in the end when the central government lets Germany outpace them then there is only so much you can do. Fun fact in the 1940s the French army still used motorcycles to deliver orders to the front line instead of using portable radios or deployable radios. To put it in CoW terms 5 lv2 infantry is inferior to 3 lv4.
      I learned that from OverSimplified...
      "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!