Regarding casualty numbers.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Regarding casualty numbers.

In the newspaper we can, as we all know, read current casualty numbers for each conflict. Today I went to war with another player, and attacked his huge, albeit not very upgraded navy with 6 Battleships/Cruisers/Destroyers altogether, aswell as a huge stack of transport ships. Obviously I lost my submarine squadron, this was expected but according to the newspaper i managed to take 27000 of his men with me into the deep. However, my losses were 6000, from ONE submarine squadron. We havn't been in any fight prior to this as i monitor my matches hourly when on the attack and I didn't lose any units prior to this attack either.

Now, a real life allied ww2 submarine squadron, if i understood this correctly consisted of three submarines with 23 crewmen in total in each submarine. I.e the correct numbers should be 69 submariners dead in the water. Not 6000. This baffled me somehwat. Not that it matters really, but it raised the question as to how on earth does the game actually count casualties?
    • I always thought, and was supported by incidental checks, that the amounts were the manpower requirements of the lost units. Your story is completely different though; I have no idea how it could be so far off.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • the casualties are counted by HP and Armour class ig
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • i have noticed that planes are given an absurdly large casualty number but, that is weird. I guess each unit is 600 people i think...
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Well casualty numbers come from taking the percentage of damage taken and applying it to the manpower cost of the unit I believe so if you had 6 lv4 subs sunk then you should get around 6000 casualties. Now while this may not be realistic manpower costs have to be this high for subs to maintain balance and for naval vessels it makes some sense if you think of some of the manpower cost being the workers that have to construct the vessel. Overall I would rather have submarines be balanced then to adjust the cost to make an ultimately superficial tho much appreciated feature slightly more realistic. Also remember that no one is immune to the human factor so even with hourly checks if your empire is big enough it’s super easy to lose units without realizing.

Of course I mean no offense in this so the tl;dr is that the game isn’t perfect and neither are we.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)
    • Karl von Krass wrote:

i have noticed that planes are given an absurdly large casualty number but, that is weird. I guess each unit is 600 people i think...
      I have noticed this too. A single, lets say any squadron of bombers had roughly 5-6 crew members, a squadron consisted of 12-24 planes. If i lose a single squadron in the game it could technically go up to 144 men. Just a rough esitimate.
    • Habo778 wrote:

Well casualty numbers come from taking the percentage of damage taken and applying it to the manpower cost of the unit I believe so if you had 6 lv4 subs sunk then you should get around 6000 casualties. Now while this may not be realistic manpower costs have to be this high for subs to maintain balance and for naval vessels it makes some sense if you think of some of the manpower cost being the workers that have to construct the vessel. Overall I would rather have submarines be balanced then to adjust the cost to make an ultimately superficial tho much appreciated feature slightly more realistic. Also remember that no one is immune to the human factor so even with hourly checks if your empire is big enough it’s super easy to lose units without realizing.

Of course I mean no offense in this so the tl;dr is that the game isn’t perfect and neither are we.
      I understand the issues at hand. Regarding the hourly monitoring it is true that i may have had some unit take damage while it didn't die, but should it have been in combat there would have been a newspaper notification of this unit killing the unit it was fighting, which didn't happen. So all in all i find it a bit weird.

Not that i dislike high casualty numbers though haha!
    • Yea it is always possible to miss something but it’s probably just the balancing. This could be fixed by adding a second manpower value that is for the causalities smaller then the manpower cost to represent the actual men in the unit but that wouldn’t be a high priority for the devs.
      “If nature doesn’t kill us in the next few decades we will take matters into our own hands” -Habo778 (me)