CoW 1.5 Damage

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tribunate wrote:

Don't forget that if you stack more than 10, the other units after the best 10 in the stack are ALSO taking damage. They are basically just standing there soaking up unneeded damage and cannot really do anything. Thus, stack efficiency is huge when deciding what your strategy will be.
      Given this fact, if it is 100% correct, there are two main strategies regarding how to use your armies:

1) make your armies into specialized, 10-unit stacks. This way, you can have the highest efficiency when dealing damage, but also vulnerable when taking damage.

2) make your armies into large, general-purpose stacks. Not as efficient, but the extra units can suck up more damage and thus saving your more valuable units.

If you're active a lot, I'd suggest the former, while if you're more lazy, I'd suggest the latter.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Little Racoon wrote:

Given this fact, if it is 100% correct, there are two main strategies regarding how to use your armies:
      1) make your armies into specialized, 10-unit stacks. This way, you can have the highest efficiency when dealing damage, but also vulnerable when taking damage.

2) make your armies into large, general-purpose stacks. Not as efficient, but the extra units can suck up more damage and thus saving your more valuable units.

If you're active a lot, I'd suggest the former, while if you're more lazy, I'd suggest the latter.
      I'm trying to develop a tactic to overcome players with a huge stack that they like to keep together. I want to counter it by using multiple small stacks.

I heard there was some rule that gave artillery a bonus attack if they wipe out their target - can someone explain that to me, and does it include all ranged units (cruisers, railroad guns...)?
    • OldPotatoes wrote:

I heard there was some rule that gave artillery a bonus attack if they wipe out their target - can someone explain that to me, and does it include all ranged units (cruisers, railroad guns...)?
      For ranged units, what I found is that once they completely destroy an army with their attack, instead of the usual 30min (1.5) or 1 hr (1.0) timer after the barrage, the reload would be significantly quickened to approx. 2 min. I assume that would be the "bonus" attack you mentioned.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • OldPotatoes wrote:

Right, that would be it. So if you broke forty units into forty stacks in an effort to reduce deaths to one every thirty minutes, this would be thwarted by that mechanism.
      That would be correct.

• Little Racoon wrote:

OldPotatoes wrote:

For ranged units, what I found is that once they completely destroy an army with their attack, instead of the usual 30min (1.5) or 1 hr (1.0) timer after the barrage, the reload would be significantly quickened to approx. 2 min. I assume that would be the "bonus" attack you mentioned.
      The way I understand it to work, at least in 1.0, is that each unit (or maybe unit type : artillery, tank, ...) does it damage in turn. This means that if the artillery (or some artillery) kills a stack, then the other units don't get to use their attack and the timer becomes pro-rataised.

Note that if a stack attack another stack and some units (the tank in our case) are not in range, the attack is still wasted, so it only works if you destroy the enemy stack.

In reality, I find that much more common with large battlefleet forces than with land forces.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chimere ().

• Tribunate wrote:

Don't forget that if you stack more than 10, the other units after the best 10 in the stack are ALSO taking damage. They are basically just standing there soaking up unneeded damage and cannot really do anything. Thus, stack efficiency is huge when deciding what your strategy will be.
      Actually there's pro's and cons to that... if you have 10 of some very effective but vulnerable units present (lets say, defending AT against an armored enemy attack) you can soak up the enemy's damage by adding a lot of cheap units (like normal infantry). Some of the damage that would have been dealt to your AT (quickly wiping them out) is now soaked up by the infantry, keeping the staying power of your AT up.

So you could say your infantry is "not efficient" because it's not actually dealing any damage; on the other hand, they DO have a role in keeping your key units alive; they become a kind of "support unit".

Another example might be that you're BOTH under attack from that armored stack (your AT is defending) AND being bombed from the air (your infantry firing at them, with better AA value).

Remember that no plan of operations survives the first hour of actual battle... it is very unlikely that you can form some kind of "ideal" stack against one specific unit type, and then roam the battle field and only fight exactly THAT type of enemy stack.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • This is very true. It certain situations if you need to protect from range and air, having some units "soak" up damage is a viable strategy. Kind of using them as a meat shield. But on other scenarios the stack of more than 10 can be a complete waste.

Good example: 5 artillery and 5 rocket units in a stack with 10 infantry. That 10 infantry can help soak the damage from the enemy ranged unit stack or planes. This could be a wise move.

Bad example: Stack of 30+ random units, especially all tanks. I have wiped out TWO full stacks of 30 units with the SAME Level 3 Light tank stack of 10. The enemy was not being very efficient.