Guide for Beginners (Classic Call of War) Part 1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Guide for Beginners (Classic Call of War) Part 1

Hello all, this guide is for beginners who have started the game and are wanting to play lv. 1 - 20. This is only for classical of course, instead of the new 1.5 version which is more noob friendly.

We will talk about what maps are the best, what nations are the best in those maps, and what you should generally do along with explanations for why we do these things.

*What Maps are the Best for a Beginner?*
      I personally recommend Historic 1939 & Europe 22 player which are good maps for beginners to play (keep in mind some of these maps I will talk about are restricted to level). 1939 is a good map since it's fun to play imo along with the fact that if you play as major powers, alot of times, your opponents are disadvantaged meaning you can make more mistakes and still win. As for Europe 22 player, it gives you a feel for the larger maps (50p and 100p) since they have the same format (generally all nations start out "equally" in terms of army with a difference in provinces, what resources they create, along with geography).

*What nations should I choose on these maps?*
      On 1939, I recommend in order from best to worst: German Empire, United Kingdom, Soviet Union, Italy, and Japan. Now, keep in mind, German Empire has a decent economy to start with and its only real threats are the UK, France, and the Soviet Union. Besides that, you border alot of smaller and weaker nations and can use your army to quickly invade meaning that you'll begin to experiment and plan offensives. The only time you will lose, is if you get unlucky and the major powers gang up on you, or if you make too many mistakes (same for every nation regardless). As for the UK, you have a small but decent land army, good economy, strongest navy in the map, and you will have a lot of research (I'll explain later). The Soviet Union is one of the best countries because it has the largest land army besides the German Empire (although that army is weak and comprised of infantry and militia), has the best economy, and shares borders with lots of smaller nations. It's weaknesses are that it lacks research on units, has spread out resource provinces (meaning you will have to upgrade more provinces with less of an increase to your resource production compared to some other nations). Furthermore, although rare some smaller nations will try to immediately group up and invade you and the stress of facing a war against multiple nations with your armies stretched thin will be difficult and sometimes you will die and lose. Another scenario is that even if you annex many nations in the east, you will eventually lose to the overwhelming military might of the German Empire. However, if you can try to ally with them, the game is pretty much won just like that. All in all, country selection on this map is quite subjective but the major powers are good to play since they give you a developed army/economy so you can jump right in to the fighting.

As for Europe 22 player I recommend, South USA, Canada, North USA, UK, and Morocco. The best nation I think is any one of those in the Americas since they are technically an island, although South USA and Canada sandwich North USA meaning that unless you convince one or the other to be your ally, you will get killed by a two front war if Canada and South USA ally. Then again you can have 3 members in your coalition so all three of you can work together. As for UK, you're protected by the sea, and Morocco is in Africa which is typically neglected and ignored until they work their way up to the Americas. Morocco is on the furthest side and you could expand safely and create allies quite easily.

*Game Plan*
      With the exception of 1939 (its a fun map don't get me wrong, but doesn't deliver fully on the CoW experience) all maps typically have nations start out "equally" in terms of having the same army, starting resources, and generally similar resource production provinces.

Our resources are: Food, Goods, Manpower, Steel, OIl, and Rare Material.

When you make units, some will have an upkeep meaning that they will consume a small portion of resources every day. For instance, light tanks will eat up 80 oil (not exact numbers) and 10 manpower meaning that you can't just spam tanks and units since if you will eventually have a downkeep of resources and might even run out meaning you can't create more and will even suffer from morale loss.

Thus, with the cities you start out with will have industry level 1.

Create infrastructure on all those cities and if you like, create barracks beforehand. If you are an island nation I recommend you create a naval port on the cities facing towards the biggest threat (human player instead of AI) in two or one city(ies).

go to your research tab and research infantry, armored car (after these finish), artillery, light tanktank, interceptor, tactical bomber. If you are an island nation try researching submarines and destroyers if you can. Otherwise some other helpful units are anti-tank and anti-air units.

When the infrastructure is done, immediately upgrade your industry and create artillery or light tanks (if you are an island nation, create 1 submarine). However, keep in mind some provinces have different geographical features which means that your units may gain an advantage fighting on those lands.

I'll continue on, but this was exhausting so I'm ending it here I'll upload part 2 in a few days after I finish my late work.

-Thank you for reading :D

Part 2 (continuation of this thread)

*Economy
      Your infrastructure should be finished by now. Depending on the situation there are alot of things you can do, but I reccomend maxing your industry to level 5. Some players will have an airbase built in between upgrades, and you can do this but I don't reccomend it since it takes a long time to get tac bombers (you need to upgrade level 2 air base) and you will use a decent bit of time and resources while neglecting your economy. Plus, the tac bombers won't do that much damage so they won't be as useful unless you can make a decent sized group of them to do any damage or make any meaningful impact to the battle.

If you are a island nation, I reccomend building level 1 naval base and creating a few subs to guard your shoreline or to guard some of your main cities. I would build level 2 ports after I get my industry to level 3 since most island nations don't go around invading other players without a decent navy (especially in 100p map) unless they have a land neighbor like Korea and Japan or France and UK. So early game, navy isn't too important, but should not be neglected.

*Research
      If you are landlocked I recommend that you research Interceptors and Tac Bombers. After that, if you have the resources I reccomend you research naval bomber or submarine so that in the future you have a way of taking down enemy convoys when you are not landlocked (research this now instead of later to make sure your army is always up to date).

If you have a shoreline, Research Tac bombers (or interceptors) and then submarine and then destroyer (either one of the two or both is fine, but you don't always need them). After all that, you should make a level 1 port in one of your cities and make a destroyer and a few subs to protect yourself in case you get D-Day'd.

If you are an island nation research submarine and destroyer. After take interceptor and bomber. Later on you should try to research battleships and cruisers since a few of those units in a group early to mid game is a solid fleet and can do alot of damage to other opponents (since alot of other players have subs or destroyers spread out which isn't a bad idea entirely, but you could pick them off with a battleship one by one).

*Military Plan
      If it's already day 2, you should check the stats (go to their profile and click the I) and see their level and kda ratio. If their kda is around 0.8 - 1.0 and they are levels 30 - 70 you should expect that they are decent players. If they have a high kda ratio with a low (around 20ish) level, this can be dangerous since it could be a smurf who knows what he or she is doing, or could be a new player who got lucky with alot of kills. If they have a high level 100+ with a high kda ratio 1.50 - 2.20+ try to ally with them instead since you may or may not end up losing to them. Otherwise, if the enemy player next to you seems to be inexperienced and has a bad kda ratio, you should prepare to invade him (try to make sure he doesn't have allies). If you can't for whatever reason, just take some AI nations near you to bolster your economy.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Skypier ().

• You are right, Japan is 100% much stronger than Italy and a "better" pick. However, I find that Japan is much more worse due to these reasons:

*Navy isn't useful at some stages, when your invading China and other nations you can bomb their coast and prevent them from attacking you which is a huge advantage (aka you can lose everything but the mainland), but keep in mind landlocked nations going in further, you can't use your ships so they lose their use to an extent.

*Since your navy is so strong, your army is neglected as a counterbalance meaning if you want to make tanks or more infantry, you're going to struggle, especially since your ships are guzzling all of your oil.

*Terrible economy compared to other great powers, you basically have soviet cities in terms of output without the large amount of cities. Some of them create a decent amount of resources, but I find that unless you conquer all of Asia, upgrading and building up your army will be a difficult task and I don't reccomend it.

Italy is more beginner friendly I feel and is better for winning in general since:
      *Navy is much more useful since your neighbors also have strong navies and alot of nations (including African colonies) have exposed coastlines.

*You can immediately take on YugoSlavia, and make way to Eastern Europe meaning that you'll get a feel of expanding and what to do without any big threats (if you get lucky and have good allies) and can have a decent economy.