What happened to the increased artillery range?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What happened to the increased artillery range?

In 1.0 higher level artillery logically had superior range over lower level artillery. Why has this been changed? It practicly makes artillery obsolete if facing other artillery units (which you more often than not do), and besides increased damage output there is no longer any need to acquire blueprints.

I very much enjoyed strategic use of artillery in 1.0, now i almost never build it anymore. Railroad cannons has become the only and insanely slow & expensive solution to facing megastacks that has any sort of artillery in them. It's beyond frustrating.
    • Ye they should bring back
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“If you win, you need not explain!”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • What did you do versus stacks which have RRG though ?

I am totally OK with the standardized range. The "higher range" trick created a lot of unnecessary micromanaging and a strong active > passive advantage.

It was all the more frustrating since some of the blueprint units had the extra range bonus - very unfair.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chimere ().

• Used planes and soaked the damage obviously, but no one i ever faced spammed RRG as hard as they spam artillery simply due to build time, costs and slow movement in comparison.

Micromanagement was a key part of combat then, as it was to some degree even in real life wars. Some armies simply had better artillery, and that's that. The blueprint rank is simple to unlock for anyone, just play the game. We all had to go through the exact same perils at one point. I remember when i first started how quickly i realised how important that blueprint was and went after it with earned gold, and achieved it at no cost of real money. Just like i did with every other blueprint. Besides, they don't really come into play until late game anyways, at which point many newcomers have succumbed anyways.
    • General Kadhammer wrote:

Used planes and soaked the damage obviously, but no one i ever faced spammed RRG as hard as they spam artillery simply due to build time, costs and slow movement in comparison.

Micromanagement was a key part of combat then, as it was to some degree even in real life wars. Some armies simply had better artillery, and that's that. The blueprint rank is simple to unlock for anyone, just play the game. We all had to go through the exact same perils at one point. I remember when i first started how quickly i realised how important that blueprint was and went after it with earned gold, and achieved it at no cost of real money. Just like i did with every other blueprint. Besides, they don't really come into play until late game anyways, at which point many newcomers have succumbed anyways.
      Of course micro-management is a key part of combat, but this is a strategy / tactical game so I prefer an advantage for doing the correct choice over an advantage for connecting often enough to pull back the artillery a bit after every salvo.

I remember once a guy attacking me with an 80 units stacks (but no arty) when I had maybe 40 units in total, including maybe 6 - 8 arties. It would follow the stack with artillery for a full day, connecting from my phone, and then at end day send my artillery several hours away, then rince & repeat the following day, for 3 days. I wish that to no one.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Chimere ().

• Mind you this is a small part of combined arms combat, although enjoyable. Also, it kind of gives you an edge for all the pain prior to achieving those blueprints, which is only fair imho. I suffered the same fate as you once but came out victorious because i simply adapted to the situation and amassed rockets, which btw was a perfect counter to that kind of tactic before 1.5. now, there is none at all save for nuclear rockets. People always afk at some point and I had to monitor his behaviour for days until i found a window of time where i actually had a chance of smashing his standstill arty/AA/AT-stacks of doom with rockets.