Overstacking

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AMG Morgan wrote:

Alexandera Nevsky wrote:

Depends on the doctrine. If I'm Pan-Asian, I might actually bother with militia, but as Allied doctrine, I would play with heavy tanks more often
      using heavy tanks as allies seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
      no
      "So as long as there are men, there will always be wars"- Albert Einstein

"Football is a game of deceit"- Diego Maradona. Call of war is to.
    • BMfox wrote:

Hornetkeeper wrote:

Militia are a cheap and fast-to-produce unit. Their role isn't only defending against infantry and surprise, but often their hp. Lv1 militias are more useful for that though. The more units you add to an army, the less damage the army will receive. A unit in your army receives the damage output of the enemy army against its armour class, divided by the size of your army. So, if you add militia and make the army 4x larger in that way, each of the units will be receiving 4x less damage. Though it's true that those militias don't have high hitpoints and will get destroyed after a time, they will for some time give a large advantage to you. You're receiving less damage, so your damage efficiency goes down slower and you gain an advantage over your enemy. It's the beginning of the battle that has the most impact - if you lose strength at the beginning, lower strength throughout the battle will also make your enemy deal more damage to you without receiving more damage back. So he will get even more effective at lowering your strength without losing much of his own. This will snowball and the beginning just largely affects the whole battle. This is why such "meatshield" units like militia are useful.
      I see two problems here:- Speed: they are one of the slowest units in the game and they will slow your stack down. Infantry however have the same speed like AA, Artillery and AT which makes those a perfect combination. Militia would just slow you down.
      - Production cost: producing a militia costs almost the same as an infantry unit. However I find infantry more versatile and better to use on the offensive.
      - Manpower: militia costs a bit more manpower then infantry but as stated before they are less versatile and in my opinion inferior to infantry

I see militia more as a defensive ambush unit in forests and cities where they are at their best and get a bonus. They can also be used as an HP booster in your naval stacks if you upgraded transport ship. I see however no role for militia in the offensive.

militias can work for conquering undefended provinces except plains
      "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"
    • AMG Morgan wrote:

using heavy tanks as allies seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
      Not so, with good use of infrastructure and high level upgrades, they're quite useful.
      If you say there are no limits in the world, why do you say to keep trying until you get something right? There is no limit of wrong answers, you're wasting your life away for a goal you can never reach. :00002178:

-Alexandera Nevsky
    • Danieliyoverde123 wrote:

ANY unit can take undefended provinces, including planes. I wonder why you would pick the slowest one to do it though.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

ANY unit can take undefended provinces, including planes. I wonder why you would pick the slowest one to do it though.
      Planes can't, truck convoys would just pass by the province centre without any effect.
      Agreed, it's better to use cheap and fast units, if possible. Militia are slow, so better for waiting as a surprise in front of a chokepoint, one could use them to catch a stack for artillery and tanks to attack it. They're vulnerable to planes (though only to stacks with a useable scout plane). They're good for quickly producing, as an emergency reinforcement, rather.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper
    • thread opener asked what is the best way to stop 40er stack of 10+10+10+10 arty, inf, armored car lvl2 (on screeshot)+aa.

Best answer is: four 10er lvl3 militia + 5er RRG behind.
      It would have nearby same ressources consumed, may be even cheaper, if you count buildings and skip lvl by level up militia.

Militia would use stealth advantage to lock off enemy arty in close combat. own rrg make half the job. At the end you wont lose many units (0 till 20 militia regiments) and kill whole 40er "doom" stack.

This thread could be closed already in march 2021. Also please, stop spamming here.
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

Danieliyoverde123 wrote:

ANY unit can take undefended provinces, including planes. I wonder why you would pick the slowest one to do it tthoug
      Most of the time, if i try to conquer undefended provinces planes already are there.

Its dangereous to send interceptors into enemy territory, since they can spot you but you can spot them, for this reason i like to use stealth units take the province first, send interceptors and set traps to enemy bombers
      "Si crees que esto tendrá un final feliz, es que no has estado prestando atención"
    • Danieliyoverde123 wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Danieliyoverde123 wrote:

ANY unit can take undefended provinces, including planes. I wonder why you would pick the slowest one to do it tthoug
      Most of the time, if i try to conquer undefended provinces planes already are there.
      Its dangereous to send interceptors into enemy territory, since they can spot you but you can spot them, for this reason i like to use stealth units take the province first, send interceptors and set traps to enemy bombers

Sorry for the confusion; meant to type "plains" in response to previous poster; some kind of shortcircuit in my head made me TYPE "planes". Actually quite weird, it is a kind of audio typo))) Of course planes can't conquer land.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • Last Warrior wrote:

thread opener asked what is the best way to stop 40er stack of 10+10+10+10 arty, inf, armored car lvl2 (on screeshot)+aa.

Best answer is: four 10er lvl3 militia + 5er RRG behind.
      It would have nearby same ressources consumed, may be even cheaper, if you count buildings and skip lvl by level up militia.

Militia would use stealth advantage to lock off enemy arty in close combat. own rrg make half the job. At the end you wont lose many units (0 till 20 militia regiments) and kill whole 40er "doom" stack.

This thread could be closed already in march 2021. Also please, stop spamming here.
      I don't think it works that well. It looks like we are around day 6, so good luck having 5 RRG handy. Even if you had, the cost of all 5 RRG alone is more than all the steel invested in all his stack, more than the oil invested in all his stack, more than all the rare material invested in all his stack (of course) and almost twice the cash.

Now add to this 40 militias, and the food cost is way above his food cost. You are only "below" him on crate.

Also, I am not sure the answer expected to “how to beat 40 units of average level 2.5” is “bring 45 units of level or equivalent level 3”

Also, the guy has pan-asian, so if you hide somewhere to wait his force, except if you got luck and there is a mountain, he is going to have massive bonus... on top of the anti-infantry bonus he already has on his armored cars and light tanks.

Long story short : your proposal only works if you can wait him in a mountain (or a city). Else, your militia is going to die, and his fast force will catch your RRG.

By the way, day 6 Militia level 3 is not available to Allied and Germany.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Chimere ().

• Depends on the level of the AA. If it's not very high or there aren't many you could just max out tactical bombers, spam plenty of them and destroy the enemy. However, that won't probably be the case. So, a better way I see is a lot of rocket artillery with AA. You could argue for mech infantry, but they're close combat, and so only 10 of them could deal damage (you could split, but then you'd also receive damage from the defending forward force individually). If the enemy's really defending with just infantry, AC and AA, none of those do well against light armour, so the mech infantry could be split into 2+ 10-stacks to attack and destroy quickly. Still, 40 arty is too much, and mech infantry too slow to chase them down through enemy territory, so they could send another force forward in time.
      Basically, get 20 rocket artillery, merge together, move forward till one 10 arty stack is in range and fires at you, then very quickly split out 10 of your RA, fire at the enemy, order them to retreat and order the other 10 to attack, and then to retreat. Retreat so for 30 minutes (so not only the enemy but also you reload). That way, you can micromanage it to make them receive damage from 20 rocket arty and only deal that of 10 arty themselves. They can avoid this by stopping their forces, but that's what you want, prevent them from destroying your core. You could just sneak mot infantry around and split to capture their core while they're stalemated like that, by just half the value of their force.
      Edit:

Chimere wrote:

I don't think it work that well. It looks like we are around day 6, so good luck having 5 RRG handy. Even if you had, the cost of all 5 RRG alone is more than all the steel invested in all his stack, more than the oil invested in all his stack, more than all the rare material invested in all his stack (of course) and almost twice the cash.
      True, also consider it takes two high-level secret labs to get RRG quickly, and the research isn't the cheapest either. It just costs too many rare materials. I find a tactical bomber army better - most players tend not to have enough AA if you don't use bombers against them, only in reaction do they create more of it. But, remember to keep the bombers stacked and to focus on one arty stack only, as arty has 1/6 the anti-air damage of AA, due to the issue of units using offensive damage values to defend against planes.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hornetkeeper ().