Military Spies Steal Research

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Military Spies Steal Research

So I have a good idea for an espionage update - I was thinking a good idea would be to make it that spies on military sabotage duty can "steal" a level of research for a random unit, and then all of the same units with that level would be moved down a level. For example, if the enemy is at lvl 4 Light Tanks, and I steal one of his research levels, all his light tanks would go down to lvl 3, and he would have to research lvl 4 again to bring them back up.
    • nope! Not possible to degrade 100s of units by 1 person
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Andromeda wrote:

So I have a good idea for an espionage update - I was thinking a good idea would be to make it that spies on military sabotage duty can "steal" a level of research for a random unit, and then all of the same units with that level would be moved down a level. For example, if the enemy is at lvl 4 Light Tanks, and I steal one of his research levels, all his light tanks would go down to lvl 3, and he would have to research lvl 4 again to bring them back up.
      This wouldn't really be plausible given that you can't really un-learn something. However, if it means the possibility of using spies to unlock further levels of research, that I'd say could be fun, as it's like stealing enemy's blueprints for new technology that you then reverse-engineer. For example, let's say you have researched lvl 3 subs, but your enemy has researched lvl 4 subs. You can then use spies to "steal" the enemy's research level and unlock lvl 4 subs for yourself. Of course, the catch is that it probably needs a very low chance for it to not be completely broken.
      "As long as there are sovereign nations possessing great power, war is inevitable." Albert Einstein

"Giving up is not an option in war, for it proves one's incapability and incompetence as a leader." - Me (Little Racoon)
    • Spies can't do that in real life neither, this game isn't fantasy hocuspocus acracadabra with a magic want that degrades all enemy units in a single click. Imagine how that would be abused and than imagine it happening to you. That would really not be cool if you ask me.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • Considering the Criticism of the original draft of @Andromeda i shall propose a counter-suggestion considering the functionality of Military Sabotage spies.
      Research : military sabotage spies placed in the capital/ core urban/ non core urban of a nation has ability to influence the research trees in the following ways:
      1. host country research stall, the host country's current research can be sabotaged (progress of research can be lost between 10-50%)
      2. host country research can be added onto your nation's research (conditions for this should be made by Bytro but i shall list some)
      a) host should have same doctrine
      b) host's research should be higher than research stolen. (If host has tac bonber lvl 3, only lvl 1 or lvl 2 research can be stolen)
      c) research steal can only add 1 level on ur units (if u have lvl 1 tacs, u can only get lvl 2 tacs by stealing)
      d) cant research new units by unit steals (self explanatory)

Enemy intel: Military sabotage placed on border provinces can scramble other nation's military sabotage spies, such as Fake army movements, Army being removed from spy reports etc
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Black Mamba79 wrote:

I disagree that host should have same doctrine. The allies sole Intel from Germany (Enigma machine, for example) and they weren't in the same doctrine.
      well the research stolen will be mostly unit designs, i doubt the allies would find much use of a Bismarck when their doctrine calls for the creation of their own domestically researched vessels and their infrastructure is geared to Maintain such vessels.

What i am trying to say is that it is not feasible irl to use a different doctrine's weapons when years of training, Research and industrial power has been geared onto your own doctrine. And this is not feasible in CoW since it isnt feasible irl.

Secretary of Nova0213
    • @whowh says she likes my Post.
      she also says that Spies should be Affected by Doctrine (dont know how tho).

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Firstable this would be unrealistic. I could imagine what it would look like. Just imagine if the Soviets woke up one day and found out that their T-34's had reverted back into BT-7's. A better idea for stealing research would be to unlock the research or the level automatically for you. So, you don't have to research the unit yourself.
    • whowh wrote:

And I can now say whatever i meant to say to @Karl von Krass

I meant to say that spies should have doctrinal affects, ie comintern spies are cheaper but worse, and axis are more expensive but better.
      ofcourse this wasn't the case irl, soviet spies along with allies are better than axis

Secretary of Nova0213
    • Karl von Krass wrote:

whowh wrote:

And I can now say whatever i meant to say to @Karl von Krass

I meant to say that spies should have doctrinal affects, ie comintern spies are cheaper but worse, and axis are more expensive but better.
      ofcourse this wasn't the case irl, soviet spies along with allies are better than axis
      Well we've got doctrines so we might as well stick to them..