Release Notes - 2021-03-29

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Arcorian wrote:

General:

• When you join an event in Call of War you do not have to wait until all available player slots are filled. Event maps now start immediately when they are created by the system.
      • Rockets, Flying Bombs, Battleships and Strategic Bombers now deal an increased amount of morale damage.
      • The Green Devil achievement description for Paratroopers was adjusted to hint that only Paratroopers produced in airplane mode count towards this achievement.
      • When zooming out on the map, the army labels no longer disappear anymore, but change their appearance to smaller versions of the labels again
        • The smaller version does not show icon nor numbers, but retains their colors to give you the ability to identify where your own, allied or enemy units are stationed when zoomed out far.
      • A gold confirmation popup is now available on desktop, to avoid spending it by mistake.
        • The confirmation popup can be activated in the game settings.
      • The old “Canvas” graphic mode was disabled.
        • Players who still used the old “Canvas” graphic mode can switch to the available “Low Graphics Mode” as an alternative in the account settings on desktop and mobile devices.

Bug Fixes:
      • A bug was fixed that caused the army label of a defending army to display the status “Bombarded by”, although the army was in close combat.
      • An issue was resolved that caused the gold icon of the gold production/construction speedup to be positioned incorrectly on the screen.
      • A bug was fixed that could trigger an error message, when the research of the Atomic Bomb was skipped.
      • An issue was resolved that could turn planes on carriers at sea into convoy trucks when sending on patrol. In some cases the planes did not fly directly to their patrol area, but took a detour to an airfield to refuel.
      • A bug on mobile devices was fixed, that prevented the confirmation screen from being displayed when purchasing a blueprint for any elite unit with gold.
      • An issue on mobile devices was resolved, that prevented the title for scenarios from being centered when the title was too long to be displayed in just one line.
      • A bug was fixed that prevented the standard moving animations from being displayed when moving units

I looked at the content of the new release again, and I couldn't find a single issue on it why Canvas would suddenly be broken. I am a software developer myself, so I have _some_ idea how issues link to eachother... and none of these would be linked to a failure of Canvas working. Bytro, would you care to explain which one of these issues cause it, and how it caused canvas to crash? Because unless you do, many people will feel that you are simply lying.
      When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
      - BIG DADDY.
    • freezy wrote:

Hey guys, I understand your frustration and I cherish that you are so invested in the game and want to shape it's future. On this particular topic though there is no other outcome possible and no turning back. So I repeat once more: There is no chance that Canvas is coming back, I'm sorry. My previous post in this thread contains more details. Please use your energy in providing us with feedback and examples on how we can improve the WebGL version, because this has a much higher chance of success. We are actively looking into improving the newest version and we will continue to strive for technical and quality improvements.

Lord wrote:

@freezy if it was just different, I suspect not many players would complaint. However - I am not being funny mate - it is just rubbish. To give you a scale of the problem - it took me less time to make these 9 screenshots below than to write this post - so it is a very frequent problem, which has been generated by removing Canvass.

Maps in the new graphics are unreadable at all - you cannot judge your own / ally / enemy troops at glance - you need to spend good few minutes zooming in and out on each area or individually clicking dozens of stacks to estimate forces in the region. As a player with more than 5 years experience in CoW and a leader TOP1 alliance I find it as a huge pain in the back, which makes my playing experience just sh*t...

So without further ado - screens below:

1. How many enemies are under my planes?
      Thank you for all the examples, I immediately forwarded this to get it fixed soon. The good thing is that all your examples point to a single issue: That in the low graphics mode the unit number is displayed below the army image, which is not intended.
      In the meantime until this is fixed you could try out the mid/high graphics settings which display the unit numbers and stack information in a clear manner inside a label next to the army.

----

By the way: Did anybody realize that we implemented a setting in the bottom right menu to activate a gold confirmation popup on desktop (it already existed on mobile), that prevents you from accidentally spending gold? Many players requested this, so I hope you are happy about it. Another addition in this update that's based on player feedback is that we display small army labels again when zoomed-out very far (previously we were hiding armies completely on such zoom levels).

I wanted to highlight these things here to make sure they are not drowned by the canvas feedback and as an example of how player feedback can shape what we implement into the game. Although some strategic topics are off limits (like changing our business model or returning Canvas) we are very much open to implement changes on a more detailed level based on your feedback, as we did in the past (other examples include all the CoW1.5 updates after it's first release). So keep it up and I hope you all still can find some fun in playing the game! :)
      So bad We
      If you try to play in pc or mobile you cannot enter to the game.
      I did everything that the wiki says I couldn’t enter
      And the people who can enter told me that the graphics are so bad, the animation poop , some cases told me that they couldn’t move their armies.
      If you don’t believe me I will show you a video
      Listen to us
      X/
    • Thanks for pointing the low graphic mode @freezy - it unfortunately is... the full graphics is so resource hungry that it makes the game on bigger maps so slow that it's unplayable on old-ish computers. I just tested it on my better machine - these items, which I highlighted look much better.

Although I don't like a shock therapy you have funded us, but after a bit of thinking I understand the rationale behind it. The new version is live for some time, but dinosaurs like me have never played it and they would never play if the old one was still available. Understood the point.

It looks like we will have to wait until some annoying elements will be adjusted and get used to it. However I think the revolt which has happened is really beneficial, as it will mobilize you to take immediate actions on feedback :)

So let me take another opportunity that you asked for this what doesn't work for us and ask you to look into this annoying element please:

Does this line need to be white? can it be made grey / black / etc.? Or at least much thinner.

It's just misleading on many occasions, such like this one:

Many thanks,
      L.
      .......................................................................................................................................................................
    • freezy wrote:

Thank you for all the examples, I immediately forwarded this to get it fixed soon. The good thing is that all your examples point to a single issue: That in the low graphics mode the unit number is displayed below the army image, which is not intended.
      Are you kidding? 4 days i CANNOT load the game on PC. I saw your shity new graphic on my phone, but I BASICLY play on PC!!! Can you tell me something? M? M? NOT! Now you will leave the topic and all we will discuse new graphic again.
    • Besides the fixes mentioned above.

Why not create a modding system for the game, so people can choose which colors or icons they would prefer to use. Modding is a staple in most other games and it would allow people to view the map the way they want.

I know its a web game but its still a possibility.

AK3D
    • I don't know if anyone has raised this issue; but in the last few games I've played, the territory color of my land is very light yellow, or white. The unit paths are also a very light color. Hence, I can't see the paths when I'm directing units. Very frustrating.

Perhaps this could be adressed at a future upgrade. Or if there is a way to set custom colors would work also. thanks
    • K.Rokossovski wrote:

I looked at the content of the new release again, and I couldn't find a single issue on it why Canvas would suddenly be broken. I am a software developer myself, so I have _some_ idea how issues link to eachother... and none of these would be linked to a failure of Canvas working. Bytro, would you care to explain which one of these issues cause it, and how it caused canvas to crash? Because unless you do, many people will feel that you are simply lying.
      The bug was that the map was completely glitching when scrolling/zooming, beta players may have noticed if they logged into beta games on canvas shortly before release. The root cause is likely related to changes/updates made to our core technology&engine. Such changes under the hood happen quite often, but infrastructural changes like that are never listed in news. Canvas was quite old so it was only a matter of time until it is not completely compatible anymore with our technological advancements in the engine. One of the reasons why we wanted to phase it out.
      In general we do not list beta bugs and beta bugfixes in the news as those were never released to live and dont affect most players. We usually fix alot of alpha or beta bugs but in the news we only list fixes/changes to the live game. The Canvas problem happened only on beta shortly before our release, so we had to postpone it. The bug is not the reason why we removed Canvas in general, we just would have done it later with a proper announcement. But that bug prompted us to remove Canvas already now because if we released the bug Canvas would have been unplayable anyway and due to scheduling conflicts we also did not want to postpone the release another week just to fix a system we wanted to remove in the very near future. We are really sorry that we did not give a proper termination date beforehand and had to rush this, its not how we intended it to go.

100jan wrote:

Are you kidding? 4 days i CANNOT load the game on PC. I saw your shity new graphic on my phone, but I BASICLY play on PC!!! Can you tell me something? M? M? NOT! Now you will leave the topic and all we will discuse new graphic again.
      If you have trouble loading up the map in your game, please first try the following:
      - clear your browser or app cache h and re-login
      - make sure your browser or app is up to date (if you have the app you could re-install it)
      - make sure your operating system is up to date and also your graphics drivers (check for updates and install the latest ones!)
      - if this does not work, try accessing the game in a different browser and also try if the problem happens in another game round, as a workaround to rule out reasons
      - if you have another device/PC available where you can test your game on, please do so to rule out if this is a local hardware/software problem on your current device
      - if this all doesnt help, please contact our support team which might have further troubleshooting steps or which can at least note down your system specs and forward them to our devs.
    • I cannot log into my game now for 4 days.

@freezy

What kind of minimum graphic card do you need to run this game with the new graphics. What if you have no graphic card, but just the internal graphics. What if they are say 10 years old.

I have a old quad core PC, it can run most relatively new ( or used to be) games like PUBG, GTA V for example but lately i have had to remove the graphics card, and have been using the internal graphics card.

Could that be a factor?
      • See image 101209. That province has level 3 roads and you can hardly see it that needs to be fixed.
      • See image 101523 When you add the button to remove all text from the map, can you include the little tabs that are off the armies to be removed they can be distracting too.
      Images
      • Screenshot 2021-04-03 101209.jpg

641.32 kB, 2,585×1,280, viewed 9 times
      • Screenshot 2021-04-03 101523.jpg

269.63 kB, 1,160×955, viewed 6 times
    • Whilst i am only 1.5 years in cow i am a good player/active and have introduced 11 people to CoW. those people have now left alongside me due to update
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“If you win, you need not explain!”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
      Slavery is Freedom
      Weakness is Strength
    • I must admit I don't see the horribleness of the update. I'm not sure what canvas is or was. The maps still are clear and colorful.

For improvements I have had issue in setting paths for units because of close color matches difficult to see. usually in setting them.

It's not a fault but I think it would also be cool if terrain stood out a little more clearly. As far as game play, I was gone from COW for quite a while after 1.5 came out. Since I started playing again, i've found the balance near perfect. Good Game!
    • Balhog wrote:

I must admit I don't see the horribleness of the update. I'm not sure what canvas is or was. The maps still are clear and colorful.

For improvements I have had issue in setting paths for units because of close color matches difficult to see. usually in setting them.

It's not a fault but I think it would also be cool if terrain stood out a little more clearly. As far as game play, I was gone from COW for quite a while after 1.5 came out. Since I started playing again, i've found the balance near perfect. Good Game!

The update, I appreciate we are slowly getting some feedback on the new Webgl and can begin the tedious and slow process of fixing it and improving it so it is player compatible. However most of the players have left COW. A larger majority are not playing as often...................

The Horribleness:

1.80% of players cannot access the game.

2.There was no Beta version: That is why the terrain and roads are hard to see, why units do not work properly and why suddenly players are left with a game thaty doesnt work as normal etc.

3.There was no warning or announcement that they would do this, so any competitions such as AWC and or the Alliance 100 Map and other events that players have organised thermselves were hit hard. This happened in the middle of 2 very big alliance events.

4.That is selfish of a game company that is very far out of touch with its main player base.

5.There had been no follow up or feedback from bytro or News on what actions they are going to take to correct the fact so many players simply cannot get past the load screen of the game

6.The absolute majority of people are not impressed with the new graphics as basically this is stil in BETA stage and they just flung it at us, and the result is half the players cannot access the game thru pc and the other half do not understand why this could not have been introduced in conjunction with the ' old game version' ( canvas)?. If they had intriduced webgl along with the canvas and had games with gold prizes to get players to experience their webgl and get feedback from players. Then over time they could fix all the terrible bugs and problems with the new webgl ( like if the terrain stood out a bit more) and have it fit and ready for the big day when they make it the new compuslory.

7.It is that it was just flung at everyone and the old canvas ripped up and thrown away, and the new WEbGL is no where near as good as the old canvas, and while it might in the future become good, by good i mean comparablye to how good the old canvas was.

8. What we have lost, however it seems is our accounts and player rank, as we cannot access the Browser version on old accounts, the cow community of players that organise events have lost confidence in bytro and the player base has been hurt. It could result in cow community events been suspended as many of the top players from the biggest
      alliances are all considering leaving Bytro.

9.The worst and most horrible is that Bytro are just ignoring them.
    • I agree that the rollout was mis-managed. I have to admit I've never seen a company piss off it's customers introducing improved products as much as BYTRO. The 1.5 rollout was the same type of disaster. But it ended well.

The issue of all the customers who lost access is frankly unforgivable. If it had happened to me, I'd be done with it as well.

BYTRO: You've got a good game. Your improvements generally end up well. But you have GOT TO GET BETTER AT beta testing and rollout of updates.