#RestoreCANVAS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ike53 wrote:

This is NOT a programming problem.
    Actually, it is. They were planning to make an announcement, just like they did for 1.5, that they were planning to phase canvas out. Unfortunately, a massive bug appeared in beta on canvas, which made it necessary to remove canvas now.

The reason canvas was removed, in addition to what I mentioned above, is that it's not feasible to run both versions at the same time. A decision had to be made about which one to remove. Since WebGL is newer, and since most of the player base uses WebGL, canvas was removed.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "management," and I'm not sure where you get the idea that "management" was responsible for the unit selection issue patched earlier today, but this is not the case.

And yes, changes are tested long before they're released to the public. First they're tested by the devs who implemented them, then the Frontline Pioneers, and then, after a long period of testing and fixing to make sure everything is working properly, they are released in an update. Unfortunately, it's just not possible for every bug to show up in beta, which is why there's a bug report button in game. If bugs never happened, there would be no need for it.

I'm sorry that all of you feel this way about the removal of canvas, but, and I'm saying it again, if you haven't tried WebGL yet (and I don't mean only for a few minutes before realizing that canvas was gone), please do so. I say this so that you can give feedback, and who knows, you might even like it.
    DoctorDR1

Game Operator
    EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket

"Commander Cody, the time has come. Execute Order 66." -Sheev Palpatine
  • DoctorDR1 wrote:

Actually, it is. They were planning to make an announcement, just like they did for 1.5, that they were planning to phase canvas out. Unfortunately, a massive bug appeared in beta on canvas, which made it necessary to remove canvas now.

The reason canvas was removed, in addition to what I mentioned above, is that it's not feasible to run both versions at the same time. A decision had to be made about which one to remove. Since WebGL is newer, and since most of the player base uses WebGL, canvas was removed.
    Of course it is a programming issue - and I guess everyone who thought just a little about it could see the writing on the wall for "canvas" mode as soon as WebGL came out. The real issue is about communication - if you (Bytro) could have told us that by xxx date canvas was gone then a lot more of us would have started to thrash WebGL and let you (the forum) know what we don't like about it so (maybe) options could have been offered to make it more acceptable to the "old fashioned" players - as it is you (and I mean management not you personally ) have let canvas carry on until you have been forced to ditch it all of a sudden - this is the issue most people are cross about. That and any feedback we give now will be months (or even years) away and, cynically, probably the devs who have more "important" things to worry about will put it on the back burner and the whole issue will just go away for them (leaving a bunch of people like myself even more embittered about the whole system Bytro is operating).

One thing I would like to see is a list of things the devs are working one at any particular time and an estimated timeframe for completion of those things - this would defuse a lot of stuff on the forum and bug reporting - if Bytro would be up front about what they were working on and what bugs have been reported (so players do not have to waste time putting in endless bug reports) it would be a great deal easier for you guys and would generate a lot more trust in the community
  • Dr DR you know your not right.
    Most players used enhanced cos they didnt even know canvas existed since enhanced is default. Run a proper vote and youll see
    “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“If you win, you need not explain!”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
    Slavery is Freedom
    Weakness is Strength
  • this will soon become the most liked thread i assure you
    “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace
    Slavery is Freedom
    Weakness is Strength
  • Look. Im certain if you showed every player canvas, and got everyone's opinion, canvas would come out on top. Enhanced is default mode thats y u have the numbers

War is Peace
    Slavery is Freedom
    Weakness is Strength
  • I don't have the numbers...but neither do you, which is why you have absolutely no way of figuring out what you're claiming. The only people who have those numbers are the Bytro employees, and they've ascertained that WebGL is just more popular. It might be because it's the default mode...but it might not be. Like I said, we don't know.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm posting here, I figured I can respond to some of the suggestions here.

1. Not sure what you mean here, could you elaborate?
    2. This seems feasible, and doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.
    3. Hmm...I can see how this would be the case. Perhaps a button could be added to turn off city names?
    4. Yes, it's most likely that you aren't on the right zoom level. The reason the province names disappear when you zoom out is so that they don't clutter up the map and create the same problem you addressed in number 3.
    5. Like number 2, it seems feasible to add thicker province borders
    6. That was the case in canvas as well
    7. Again, it seems feasible to darken terrain types.
    8. Well, if you zoom all the way out, the countries become so small that dots would do nothing. But maybe the dots could fade out a bit later.
    9. Yes, but like in canvas, this is displaying the VP value
    10. Doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Maybe it has something to do with mouse sensitivity?
    11. I can't seem to find any provinces that do this. Can you give me an example of this? (Map type, country, and provinces)
    12. For this, open up settings, and press the button that looks like a bird.

I'm not a dev, so don't take my word on anything that I said sounds feasible/doesn't sound feasible. These are just my opinions.
    DoctorDR1

Game Operator

The post was edited 1 time, last by DoctorDR1: I figured I might as well respond to the suggestions ().

• This is the problem.
    With canvas I could enter to the game and with Web Lg I cannot enter.
    The other people has an advantage that they can attack and you cannot skip it.
    Some players (not me) had paid money for gold or any other thing so if they have canvas they cannot enter the gold will not have a value or the service that we bought.
    Please be open mind and listen to the minority that use canvas mod.
    :(
    #Restorecanvas
  • Don't know where you got that notion, but it absolutely is not true. The devs care about every single player. After all, the players are the ones who get to play the game they put a lot of work into.
    DoctorDR1

Game Operator

• GrandEmpire wrote:

Look. Im certain if you showed every player canvas, and got everyone's opinion, canvas would come out on top. Enhanced is default mode thats y u have the numbers
    Not necessarily. You only like canvas more because your more adapted to it. If you had been playing the new graphics the entire time you would be unhappy if they added Canvas. Its a matter of adaptation rather than, which is better. Many players won't like a certain feature just because they aren't really used to it. There's always this one update in every game that will cause people to go crazy. I mean I can see what your talking about, it can be hard to get used to at the beginning. To be honest many people quit Call of War 1.5 because they weren't really used to the new mechanics. However, those who stayed discovered that Call of War 1.5 wasn't nearly as bad as they thought. I honestly thought Call of War was done when they added 1.5. I ended up quitting for several months. I thought the update was bad because it was totally revamped and unfamiliar to me. Later, I decided to try out one Call of War 1.5 match, and I enjoyed it a lot. It ended up being a pretty good update despite some drawbacks.
  • vietcong2005 wrote:

Not necessarily. You only like canvas more because your more adapted to it. If you had been playing the new graphics the entire time you would be unhappy if they added Canvas. Its a matter of adaptation rather than, which is better. Many players won't like a certain feature just because they aren't really used to it. There's always this one update in every game that will cause people to go crazy. I mean I can see what your talking about, it can be hard to get used to at the beginning. To be honest many people quit Call of War 1.5 because they weren't really used to the new mechanics. However, those who stayed discovered that Call of War 1.5 wasn't nearly as bad as they thought. I honestly thought Call of War was done when they added 1.5. I ended up quitting for several months. I thought the update was bad because it was totally revamped and unfamiliar to me. Later, I decided to try out one Call of War 1.5 match, and I enjoyed it a lot. It ended up being a pretty good update despite some drawbacks.
    While I enjoy your enthusiasm, I respectfully disagree. Ive been playing for quite a while and yes I am "adapted" to canvas but that did not effect my disdain to the new graphics. I tried them out for a game when they came out two years ago and i tried to use them recently. I just really do not like them.