#RestoreCANVAS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Then why argue fro NOT restoring canvas? Do you have sme sort of problem with its existyance? The only people who do, apperently, are Bytro developers... so if you argue for NOT restoring, you're obviously a Bytro troll.
    When the fake daddies are curtailed, we have failed. When their roller coaster tolerance is obliterated, their education funds are taken by Kazakhstani phishers, and their candy bars distributed between the Botswana youth gangs, we have succeeded.
    - BIG DADDY.
  • Mao-Tun Shanyu wrote:

there is no problem with webgl
    That's just denying the obvious. Every game has problems. Every set of graphics has problems. If you deny it, why would we even have updates? If there was no problem, the game would never have updates, never improve.

I'm sure a lot of people could point out issues with WebGL. Some people can't even get into the game!

Mao-Tun Shanyu wrote:

#ADAPTANDOVERCOME
    How are people supposed to adapt when they can't get into the game?
    "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
  • RBoi200 wrote:

Mao-Tun Shanyu wrote:

That's just denying the obvious. Every game has problems. Every set of graphics has problems. If you deny it, why would we even have updates? If there was no problem, the game would never have updates, never improve.
    I'm sure a lot of people could point out issues with WebGL. Some people can't even get into the game!

Mao-Tun Shanyu wrote:

#ADAPTANDOVERCOME
    I see both of your sides but wdym people can’t get into the game is the new glitch that’s happening like I’ve never used canvas and I don’t understand the problem but I agree people should start to adapt to weblg I’m sure they’ll like it eventually and stop declaring gurrillea warfare on the devs.
    when being betrayed betray
  • Larry is god lol lol wrote:

RBoi200 wrote:

Mao-Tun Shanyu wrote:

That's just denying the obvious. Every game has problems. Every set of graphics has problems. If you deny it, why would we even have updates? If there was no problem, the game would never have updates, never improve.I'm sure a lot of people could point out issues with WebGL. Some people can't even get into the game!

Mao-Tun Shanyu wrote:

#ADAPTANDOVERCOME
    I see both of your sides but wdym people can’t get into the game is the new glitch that’s happening like I’ve never used canvas and I don’t understand the problem but I agree people should start to adapt to weblg I’m sure they’ll like it eventually and stop declaring gurrillea warfare on the devs.

Mr Selfridge wrote:

5.There had been no follow up or feedback from bytro or News on what actions they are going to take to correct the fact so many players simply cannot get past the load screen of the game.
    "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
  • Mao-Tun Shanyu wrote:

Don't restore canvas
    ...I can't believe i'm doing this but if people can't get in their games, How are they gonna adapt?! How are they even gonna be able to play the god dang game if they can't get in? Hm?
    For the Frontier, once and for all, the Red Planet has been colonized...

Call of War User: RhonianConfederation
    Discord Username: Premier Livonian of the Frontier#9560
    Newest Let's Play: ?

I swear to lord if you call me Premier I will crucify you, I prefer the name Livonian :>
  • I am struggling with WebGL as Ike53.
    I see absolutely no response from the Devs on serious WebGL issues
    I select an enemy unit to look at it, move the mouse and the unit disappears from the map
    In the example below, I cannot see the "red dot" for this enemy unit so I cannot tell how close my artillery has to get to it to open fire.
    These are just some of the issues that the Devs need to address and fast - forget all the "bells and whistles" fix some of the fundamental problems.
    Images
    • WebGL no unit dot.png

453.83 kB, 680×441, viewed 5 times
  • RogodeterSnowl wrote:

I am struggling with WebGL as Ike53.
    I see absolutely no response from the Devs on serious WebGL issues
    I select an enemy unit to look at it, move the mouse and the unit disappears from the map
    In the example below, I cannot see the "red dot" for this enemy unit so I cannot tell how close my artillery has to get to it to open fire.
    These are just some of the issues that the Devs need to address and fast - forget all the "bells and whistles" fix some of the fundamental problems.
    thats canvas...
    when being betrayed betray
  • ike53 wrote:

Same view after reboot...in low res mode this is a continual hassle. I suspect there may be other issues with low res but if you are actually playing the game and using terrain features for attack/defence in combat this bug alone makes low res unusable.
    The little pictures of the terrain type are obviously not a bug, but an attempt to keep the graphics usage down for older systems running "low res" WebGL. Admittedly, the picture could be better, and the lack of one (little white box) appears to be the only actual "bug".

laaaaaaaaga wrote:

Current version of graphics slides a lot, which might be good if the game is on phone, but on PC it makes it harder to pinpoint the units you want to get. Both low grade graphic and normal have this problem. I came here to play, not to ice skate
    Yeah, this is probably more of a "feature" of WebGL movement than a "glitch" or "bug". But it definitely needs addressed and adjusted as people like you and me find it quite annoying.

laaaaaaaaga wrote:

There is no way, to disable units, so it's hard to send screenshots to brag without revealing your army.
    You should see my post on ways to improve the "low-res" version to accommodate issues like this....here.

ike53 wrote:

I think Canvas was about as close to a home run as one can get for a game like this, so anything less is a step back. More information sometimes isn't better.
    I actually agree whole-heartedly with you on this. When I first discovered this game, it reminded me of the classic Axis & Allies board game. Of course, Call of War 1.0 was so much better, but the hinted-at nostalgia factor helped to give this game a magical feel. The new WebGL version(s) make it seem a little too cartoonish, or maybe more like "Playmobile" (if you know what I mean).

But, the Bytro developers keep saying that they want constructive criticism to help them improve the WebGL version(s) of the game. So, instead of pleading for a return of the Canvas Mode, why not join me in offering ideas on how to make the low-res version of the WebGL version at-least simulate Canvas Mode, both in appearance and playing style (where possible). Click here to see what I've proposed and please contribute any ideas that the staff could reasonably implement for a good compromise.

Lain_ wrote:

Well, i guess i'm now locked out of this game forever unless i start using a slow and crappy laptop in order to specifically play this game. Thumbs up for the devs! I enjoyed the game while it lasted!

Edit: There is a happy ending it seems. The game is able to run when i play it on Steam, but remains inaccessible on Chrome or any other browser. I do feel bad for the folks who can't even run steam.
    Are you by any chance using an Ad-Blocker? Because I've found that Ad-Blockers need to be customized to work with Call of War. I'm playing on Chrome (albeit slow, now, with WebGL), and aside from the memory leak issue (swallowing up RAM resources), the game plays fine....and I block ALL ads (and yes, it's very possible to do so, but I can't tell you how, here, because that would probably violate Bytro's TOS, and I wouldn't want to get in trouble).

MZM7 wrote:

The guys who spend days in these forums claiming they're gonna leave should just leave already.
    Actually many did.

I left over a year ago.

I only returned after boredom forced me to see if it was possible to play the game. Though it has not, I'm trying to affect change from within the forums.

And, while I was "away", like many others here, I have returned to the forums once in a while to see if there was change.

Alas, Covid-(B)oredom won out, so I'm now playing again, and have been for about a month now. But it's not easy, what with there only being v. 1.5 matches now. (I wish I could find a v.1.0 match once in a while. Still, like before, I'm kicking a$$ and taking names, so...

Anyway, if they don't follow my idea of making the low-res version of WebGL more like the Canvas (simulated), as I propose here, then I'll likely go back into obscurity and find something else to fill my time with.

vietcong2005 wrote:

I mean it can be much worse. Plus it's just different graphics. Hopefully the people complaining aren't only playing Call of War because of Canvas. If that is the case they might as well pick a different game. There are far more features that are good in call of war besides graphics.
    Sure there are. But the classic "canvas" view had an almost old-fashioned feel, making it seem like you were really sitting around a table with your old high-school friends, playing a board game like Axis & Allies. You felt like you're with friends and there's a camaraderie that the WebGL version just doesn't seem to foster....too much like other Mobile games.

But we — the long-term players — didn't start on Mobile, and most of us still
    don't play on Mobile. Sure, we'll sometimes use Mobile to take care of a few small things while on the go, but most of us build vast empires over a space of a few weeks to many months, and that would hardly be possible on a phone, or even a decent-sized tablet.

You see, we play on giant screens on overpowered and old-fashioned "personal computers". We often have decent setups designed for mature gamers who don't always get a kick out of the latest first-person shooter, but we all have a penchant for strategy games and building games, like the Civilization series and Sim City series. We either grew up on, or were "young" enough at heart to enjoy the original Arcade games, and we played computer games that we actually owned the titles of, from the 1990's until the trend stopped in the mid-2000's.

We're not millennials. And we're certainly not "zoomers". Most of us are either Baby Boomers or Baby Busters (gen X), and the latter pretty much pays the bills at Bytro, even though the company likely doesn't know how to get the analytics to prove that assertion.

WE set the culture.

We made it popular.

We made the Call of War gamer community a "thing", and WE are the majority voice on the forums, regardless of which version people from the older generations (like me) played on WebGL or Canvas mode....and like I said above, WE pay the bills at Bytro. Most younger players might pay once or twice, but then quit. Who could rely on that business model?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Stumpy Pete ().

• Stumpy Pete wrote:

Sure there are. But the classic "canvas" view had an almost old-fashioned feel, making it seem like you were really sitting around a table with your old high-school friends, playing a board game like Axis & Allies. You felt like you're with friends and there's a camaraderie that the WebGL version just doesn't seem to foster....too much like other Mobile games.

But we — the long-term players — didn't start on Mobile, and most of us still don't play on Mobile. Sure, we'll sometimes use Mobile to take care of a few small things while on the go, but most of us build vast empires over a space of a few weeks to many months, and that would hardly be possible on a phone, or even a decent-sized tablet.

You see, we play on giant screens on overpowered and old-fashioned "personal computers". We often have decent setups designed for mature gamers who don't always get a kick out of the latest first-person shooter, but we all have a penchant for strategy games and building games, like the Civilization series and Sim City series. We either grew up on, or were "young" enough at heart to enjoy the original Arcade games, and we played computer games that we actually owned the titles of, from the 1990's until the trend stopped in the mid-2000's.

We're not millennials. And we're certainly not "zoomers". Most of us are either Baby Boomers or Baby Busters (gen X), and the latter pretty much pays the bills at Bytro, even though the company likely doesn't know how to get the analytics to prove that assertion.

WE set the culture.

We made it popular.

We made the Call of War gamer community a "thing", and WE are the majority voice on the forums, regardless of which version people from the older generations (like me) played on WebGL or Canvas mode....and like I said above, WE pay the bills at Bytro. Most younger players might pay once or twice, but then quit. Who could rely on that business model?
    I agree with most of what you said up until this quote here. Although Canvas had a certain atmosphere that you held nostalgia for, It doesn't address what Vietcong was saying, which is essentially that we should be prioritizing better features over feeling or nostalgia. Not all of us are looking for the feeling of those old games, since not all of us grew up on those games you mentioned. And we shouldn't have to in order to be viewed as contributing to some 'culture.'

Your post comes off as condescending towards Gen-Zers like myself (actually anyone who's not a parent tbh), as you seem to be stereotyping us as players who aren't as invested in the game as you. You imply we don't contribute enough, or we don't know what it means to play real strategy games. I -- A l0ng teRm pLAyEr -- may have started playing this game after WebGL and 1.5 were first being introduced, but for all you know I'm just as invested as you are. I sink hours into this game, and I care about its future. Oh yeah and I play on a pc.. Your post gives off those 'Back in my day we actually went outside and killed people in real life instead of in video games' vibes. And to be honest with you, the superiority complex is both hilarious and disgusting. Point is though, demographics of strategy games have changed. It's inevitable.

And why would you assert that you know who's paying the bills when you said yourself Bytro has no analytics to prove it? It's just like the guys who say the majority of players want Canvas back, when these forums are in fact the only place besides their imaginations where they're actually the majority. Also, being the majority on the forums isn't necessarily a point of merit. At times it can show that you care about the game, but that doesn't necessarily mean you care more than the players who just.. play. Sometimes being the majority in a forum just shows that you're much better at complaining than the actual majority of players. Y'know.. happens all the time in those other games where Millennials pay the bills.