#RestoreCANVAS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is there a way i can unfollow this? I would not like 85% of my notifcations to be this
      The enemy win their battles from the air! They knock out my panzers with American armor-piercing shells.
      Field Marshall Erwin Rommel

Ladies and Gentlemen...We got em.
    • sunsetlament wrote:

Well ... I gave it over a week and I'm still locked out of the game. Like others, I just get the "Rolling Tank" screen forever and the game won't load. I only play on desktop and I believe I had been playing in the lowest graphics mode (which apparently was called "Canvas"). I sent in a Trouble Ticket and I tried all of the proposed "fixes" I could find on this board. Nothing works.

It was a good run. For the most part, I enjoyed the game (while I was still allowed to play it and when I didn't enter a room where people just spent tons of gold and ran everyone else off the map.).

Great job bug testers.
      Many people not play this game anymore. And much more complaining and trying to play on new graphics... i give you advice, its not worth it. All your efforts its give you nothing, the only reason who will change situation, if you will stop play. Then game owners start losing money, and then some monkeys who make this mess lose job.

I just want to offer developers start writing book "how to fuck up game in one day", its gonna be bestseller.
    • sadly the truth
      “I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior. I love only that which they defend.”

“If you win, you need explain!”

“What difference does it make if destruction is wrought under the name of dictators or in the name of democracy?”

War is Peace

RESTORE CANVAS- SAVE CALL OF WAR
    • freezy wrote:

Lain_ wrote:

It does run WebGL. I'll just say that i tried all there was to try back then as well, i just decided to not add all of these attempts to my rant as i intended it to be more of a rant than a public bug report. imgur.com/a/K4HhOVEHere i tried switching to mobile graphics just to see if i've got any luck with that, but it seems that i won't even get the option to change my graphics anymore now. The thing is that the game is playable on steam for me, but unplayable on browser.
      Hey, in case you still read this:
      In your screenshot I see that your browser tries to load the game in mobile mode. Can you please clear your cookies and re-login to check if it then tries to load the desktop version? (you will realize when the background image is not totally distorted and fits on your screen, also the "return" in the upper left corner is gone then).

Also, please check in your browser settings if hardware acceleration is enabled. If not, please enable it, and if it is, please disable it and try again. Playing with this settings solved the issue of being stuck in the loading screen for other players, so maybe it does for you as well. If it doesnt make a difference, keep it "on" though.

I also assume that you took care that your browser versions are up to date, as well as your operating system version and your graphics driver version. Because having outdated ones could also lead to such a problem.

Larry is god lol lol wrote:

RBoi200 wrote:

jefin b wrote:

canvas is still on the desktop version,
      are you serious?
      yes dude I used it yesterday. The flag it turned all the country’s to canvas colors.
      The flag is WebGL with political colors disabled, not Canvas. Read what it says.
      yes how do I do the flag on mobile.
      Open game settings in the bottom right menu, then deactivate the relation view mode. This will give all countries their own color (like in Canvas).
      Hi, in case you read this...
      As a Dev and with the best of intentions....Suggesting to a game user to have the latest version of a browser when this is not a controlled environment (such as a company where IT will standarize versions) is not actually what anyone would suggest. Althogugh your suggestions are right, you're implicitly saying that this browser supposedly -low spec game is becoming more and more elitist, as many may not even correctly run the latest versions of a browser (chrome is the pacman of RAM, i.e.). And, except if you live in a privileged bubble, you really should know that people just don-t update many of their PCs elements from one to day to the other. Neither their cell phone. I understand that "technology evolves"(and thus discriminates from this), but I wouldn't say this wasa the right way to go, neither the most honest one.
      However, nice to see a Dev participating in this thread.
      Take care

karoliscool wrote:

sunsetlament wrote:

Well ... I gave it over a week and I'm still locked out of the game. Like others, I just get the "Rolling Tank" screen forever and the game won't load. I only play on desktop and I believe I had been playing in the lowest graphics mode (which apparently was called "Canvas"). I sent in a Trouble Ticket and I tried all of the proposed "fixes" I could find on this board. Nothing works.

It was a good run. For the most part, I enjoyed the game (while I was still allowed to play it and when I didn't enter a room where people just spent tons of gold and ran everyone else off the map.).

Great job bug testers.
      Many people not play this game anymore. And much more complaining and trying to play on new graphics... i give you advice, its not worth it. All your efforts its give you nothing, the only reason who will change situation, if you will stop play. Then game owners start losing money, and then some monkeys who make this mess lose job.
      I just want to offer developers start writing book "how to fuck up game in one day", its gonna be bestseller.
      Hi... You should kknow that devs mainly take orders from Product Owner, Product Managers, or people taking more "commercial oriented" decisions. Or are subjected to tech advancement from resources they use but do not maintain (for example, a modification in Chrome's way to work with WebGL, or whatever). It's not their fault, it's the way they are orienting this game. I'm risking a ban probably by saying this, but this is how software development works.
    • New

arkranox wrote:

However, nice to see a Dev participating in this thread.
      @freezy has been involved as a main voice for the company and the devs within the player community for many years, possibly going back to the beginning. He's been around and long as I can remember, and I've been here since it was [I think] just out of beta.

arkranox wrote:

Hi... You should kknow that devs mainly take orders from Product Owner, Product Managers, or people taking more "commercial oriented" decisions. Or are subjected to tech advancement from resources they use but do not maintain (for example, a modification in Chrome's way to work with WebGL, or whatever). It's not their fault, it's the way they are orienting this game. I'm risking a ban probably by saying this, but this is how software development works.
      Talking about developers or the game or company in a non-negative way won't get you banned. Speculating on the development cycle would likely not either. Just state your case, be passionate with your speech, and try to be respectful. In most cases, doing that will keep you in good standing.
    • New

karoliscool wrote:

From what I have seen, bytro is trying to move away from us "traditional" CoW players, in other words PC experienced players who are willing to play long term and move towards "newer" players, who play mobile and are less experienced. This makes sense as a marketing strategy as our type of players are less likely to spend money than newer players are.
      Forum Rank list here.

Make sure to read and like this thread ->The new Roman Empire
    • New

whowh wrote:

From what I have seen, bytro is trying to move away from us "traditional" CoW players, in other words PC experienced players who are willing to play long term and move towards "newer" players, who play mobile and are less experienced. This makes sense as a marketing strategy as our type of players are less likely to spend money than newer players are.
      This accusation has no foundation what so ever! You are just inciting versus the WebGL. Stop making unfounded and fage arguments. Thank you!
      BMfox

EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!

Dinosaurs died because they didn't evolve, luckily COW does. Let's embrace it instead of complaining about it.

"It's only cold when you need petrol to get a tank out of the ice to depart": my bootcamp training sergeant.
    • New

whowh wrote:

karoliscool wrote:

I don't see it that way. Bytro is trying to make the game simpler(as seen with the 1.5 update and removal of Canvas), trying to get a larger player base. I don't think they are trying to move away from the older player base, although I understand that some of the older players feel like they are being left behind. I don't think older players are less likely to spend money, and many of them have high command. What makes sense is that Bytro is trying to market to a larger player base, and unfortunately some people feel like they are being left behind.
      "A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin

DxC's battle calculator(not updated for 1.5):
      dxcalc.com/cow
    • New

sunsetlament wrote:

Great job bug testers.
      I wont quit COW, I love the game too much. However I cannot load into the game either, and I have tried cach, accelleration,enabling cookies etc. and different browsers Chrome, Edge and the usual stuff.

I can access the game :) thru the cow Mobile version, but it is not really all that feasible to play a 100 player map on your mobile phone, I do not see the sport in it. I always end up with half the world and by then it is a logistically far too tedious to manage such large territories on the mobile phone.

I was impressed with one aspect of the new wbgl and can see they have made it easier to find newly produced planes. Bytro have made it easier to find new planes at air factories by displaying them at a higher zoom level over ground troops. However, Maybe you might improve this same atribute further by have a player setting for when that player is dominating half the world map ( for example) and have large territories across the world, that you can have an even higher zoom level just for planes, So i can group them easier. ( this is mid to end game stuff, when there is 3 players are left fighting for number 1 place).

Also on mobile, in the provinces list, the provinces do not maintian the listing you set. For example i want to build at my top upgraded airfields in that order, So i choose airfield in the provinces list, and it does work, and i get an order of province by airport level. 5555 4444 333 etc. :)

However as soon as i click on produce a plane, the list then reverts to a random state again, and if i am making 25 planes then this can be super tedious, As it just makes it 2 x more difficult. :(

The WEB GL version has so many bugs and issues, I think that in the long term we will have a great game again but right now this new version that Bytro intriduced to save time for their developers has put them in the positon where they now have to work really vey hard to fix the game, as with out an alternative canvas, then people/players will not be happy and then bytro lose many players, bytro Devs have to work twice as hard and bytro might find the ends do not justify the means.

At best bytro will maybe get back to where they were in the first place, with half as many players, and it will be difficult to say bytro new webgl saved time because the webgl is better or because there is such a smaller palyer base.

RESTORE THE CANVAS FOR PC BROWSER PLAYERS. Then you can focus on the new webgl mobile version for your new players and also work with any PC players that use the webgl version until all the bugs are worked out and it is playable.

I think I was correct when i said the future of top players and top alliances participation in future Player events will drop signifigantly in value.

The Only good thing to come from all of this was that the old legendary alliances that played in the players league, AWC, alliance map will be the giant remains of a once great game. We left our indelible mark.

Thank you for the great times.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mr Selfridge ().

• New

karoliscool wrote:

sunsetlament wrote:

Great job bug testers.
      Have you not heard the saying, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"? It's not difficult. Sure, we all get mad at times. I'm kinda angry about the whole canvas thing. But I'm also smart enough to know that you should be respectful, try to offer workable ideas, and be willing to compromise.

You are never going to get anywhere with the staff or devs by being rude and inconsiderate. Even if you don't feel like it, it doesn't hurt to at least be polite. Yes, there are times that warrant outrage and harsh responses, but not likely in a forum for an online strategy game. :)

Mr Selfridge wrote:

Also on mobile, in the provinces list, the provinces do not maintain the listing you set. For example i want to build at my top upgraded airfields in that order, So i choose airfield in the provinces list, and it does work, and i get an order of province by airport level. 5555 4444 333 etc.

However as soon as i click on produce a plane, the list then reverts to a random state again, and if i am making 25 planes then this can be super tedious, As it just makes it 2 x more difficult.
      While I've experienced that annoyance, and the return of it's [once-fixed] near-cousin, where you can't even add to a set of multiple rows without sometimes causing the list to scroll to the bottom of your active selection.

But there is a simple enough workaround, at least on desktop (Mobile, too?). And it is this: when building for multiple sites, just select all of them in a block, then tell it to build one type of building/unit but don't close the construction window, just add in more units to be built, they will automatically be queued up (front of line if you don't have High Command) with any factories of the right type that can build them.

At least, if you only want level 5 Tank factories to build Heavy Tanks, then you might try arranging via "Money" or "Manpower" which will tend to put core provinces at the top of the list, and those are more likely to have specialized factories (like level 5 aircraft factory, level 5 tank factory, etc.) Then, instead of selecting a larger part of the list, you can just select the top [maybe] ten provinces and follow my previous advice. That way, you won't have a bunch of level 1 and 2 tank factories trying to spend a week building level 3 Heavy Tanks, etc.

It's just a workaround. But maybe it'll help you out in the meantime, especially for a larger empire.

Mr Selfridge wrote:

I think I was correct when i said the future of top players and top alliances participation in future Player events will drop signifigantly in value.

The Only good thing to come from all of this was that the old legendary alliances that played in the players league, AWC, alliance map will be the giant remains of a once great game. We left our indelible mark.
      Yes, we sure did...

5+ years and counting, here.
    • New

@freezy
      The colors displayed when relationships are disabled are nasty, especially in low-quality mode. A color comparison can be found in the attached screenshots. They are bad and unsightly. They should be improved compared to those in Canvas. The Soviet Union is faded, it should be heavily interspersed with red. The color of the German Empire is hideous. It should be silver, as before. Italy shines too much. The problems of the above countries, of course, affect the historical map.
      Furthermore, I continue to ask for the great benefits of Canvas mode, i.e. the permanent division into provinces, to be restored. If I want to take a screenshot of the size of the state, then the division into provinces is necessary to determine the size. I will also add this in the attached screenshots. Of course, the provincial boundary can be a bit dim with minimal map zoom, but it must still be there.
      And I would ask that, at least with the maximum enlargement of the map, the names of rural provinces reappear. This made it very easy to find yourself on the map.
      Sincerely,
      Michu-65
      #RestoreCANVAS
      Files
    • New

whowh wrote:

karoliscool wrote:

I don’t understand what’s the promblem here.
      when being betrayed betray
    • New

K.Rokossovski wrote:

DoctorDR1 wrote:

Ok, let me just clear something up. There is no conspiracy, cover up, or lies of any kind.

Think about it for a second. Why the heck would Bytro lie about their reasons for removing canvas? They have said multiple times in the past that they were planning to do this, and the only reason they removed it without warning was because there was a bug. Why would they lie about that? Why not just say "Oops, our bad, we forgot to tell you"? The only reason they would say there was a bug is if there was a bug.

Second of all, even if there were lies, why would I agree with them? I'm a player like you guys, not a Bytro employee, so I have nothing to gain from lying (neither does Bytro by the way), and while I love Call of War, there is no way I'd be persuaded to lie about something this major.

I get that you're all mad, and I'm not saying you shouldn't be. You all liked canvas. But there's a difference between being mad and making up conspiracy theories to get other people mad too.
      Why are you so sure about that? I remember from my own time as a staff member that there was minimal information from up in the hierarchy (i.e. paid people) and that criticizing Bytro was he biggest no-no a volunteer could do... in fact it got me kicked off staff when I spoke too frankly about golding issues. So I don't suspect you of lying; you're just as under-informed as the rest of us.
      Bytro may have developed a GREAT game (well... before Canvas was dropped), but as a company, it breathes a narrow-minded, secretive atmosphere. For example, they are all the time saying that they have these magic statistical "queries" about the game, yet they never fail to publish ANY of them. I understand there is SOME level of competition concern about them; yet I don't really see how Paradox would benefit from (just a few from the top of my head) knowing what is the top-10 of most-used units in Call of War; how many games are won by coalitions as opposed to single players by map type; or what the correlation between rank (=CoW gaming expericence) and wins is (note that NONE of these are about gold!). All we get now is, that there is a "vast majority" of people using WebGL; but has it been cross-referenced with average daily play time, gaming persistance (players dropping in and quitting quickly vs. dedicated long-term players), map winners, or other factors? We can assume that it has been done, but not a word from Bytro about it. When asking about "how does a list of unrelated issues affect Canvas crashing", all we get is a vague answer about "changes under the hood" that caused Canvas to crash (any decent developers knows that the key criterium for "changes under the hood" is, that they don't affect user experience; this one obviously does, so in a normal company it would be rolled back).

Bytro has repeatedly stated and shown that there is just one, overwhelmingly important criterium to base decisions on: revenue. Having people click the "Buy with gold" buttons lavishly provided throughout the game is ALWAYS prevalent to secondary issues like game balance, player perception, being taken seriously as a game, and even PR. Bytro admits this, stating the poor developer's families and the uncertainty of changes to the business model as reasons. What it does NOT say is the length they will go to implement this - but we must assume that it is enormous, given that there is simply NO room for incentives to makes those secondary issues balance even slightly more with revenue considerations. So, knowing that, what considerations might be at work when deciding to phase out canvas? Here are some possibilities:

- The users playing on Canvas are the dinosaurs of the game. They have played for a long time, and due to their experience, they simply don't need gold anymore. Given the influx of new players on mobile devices, their game skills are enough for victory, so they don't bring in any money. There's no need to keep them or invest in their presence, so let's phase out Canvas as there is not much harm in getting rid of them.

- A significant portion of our player base has become "too good" at the game, and are beating newer players despite those newbies using gold. When these newbs "pay to win", they EXPECT to win, but they don't, because these dinosaurs will beat them nonetheless. We should get rid of these players, as they prevent us from delivering our paying customers the victory they paid for. Do they have something in common? Yes, many of them use Canvas. If we get rid of that, they will just leave, which is exactly what we want. We'll weep in public and ask them to play WebGL instead but we already know they won't. Good riddance!

Are these conspiracy theories? Well maybe; but remember that a conspiracy theory is one that goes against overwhelming proof that it isn't true. Due to the secrecy of Bytro, here we have none.

And the sad thing is, that it is of course Bytro's right to do whatever they please with their customers... they're not some government institution, they're a commercial business and they can deny service (or, change terms to make them unacceptible) to whichever customer group they please. Really, Bytro, you can be frank with us... if you want us out, you might as well say so.

PS - to my fellow forumers, when you find me banned soon and this post deleted, you know I've hit a nail on the head... it doesn't matter to me anymore, I stopped playing anyway.

BMfox wrote:

Please don't make another canvas thread. Please post your comment in the appropriate threads. I won't have the whole forum spammed with canvas threads. I have deleted before and I'll delete again. There's no conspiracy. I'm closing this thread.
      At mod's request, reposting it. Of course, I had forgotten the possibility to close threads. "Spamming canvas threads" is the excuse now... while this is the single subject that occupies the community, reviving a forum to full liveliness which was nothing but a village square for many moons... but of course, it is much easier to mute criticism when it is all in one thread; stats show that people don't read all those pages...

Hey BM, I was actually going to suggest to create a separate room/board for Canvas discussion, but I guess you're not up for that then? ;)
      When the enemy is driven back, we have failed. When he is cut off, encircled and dispersed, we have succeeded. - Aleksandr Suvorov.
    • New

K.Rokossovski wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

- The users playing on Canvas are the dinosaurs of the game. They have played for a long time, and due to their experience, they simply don't need gold anymore. Given the influx of new players on mobile devices, their game skills are enough for victory, so they don't bring in any money. There's no need to keep them or invest in their presence, so let's phase out Canvas as there is not much harm in getting rid of them.

- A significant portion of our player base has become "too good" at the game, and are beating newer players despite those newbies using gold. When these newbs "pay to win", they EXPECT to win, but they don't, because these dinosaurs will beat them nonetheless. We should get rid of these players, as they prevent us from delivering our paying customers the victory they paid for. Do they have something in common? Yes, many of them use Canvas. If we get rid of that, they will just leave, which is exactly what we want. We'll weep in public and ask them to play WebGL instead but we already know they won't. Good riddance!

Are these conspiracy theories? Well maybe; but remember that a conspiracy theory is one that goes against overwhelming proof that it isn't true. Due to the secrecy of Bytro, here we have none.

This is the most accurate post ever. Whether they intentionally got rid of us, or whether it was a statistical outcome from a complicated marketing alogrithmitic it is the way it ended up. More likley the latter, and some marketing genius did not factor in player attributes that we hold important.
    • New

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Hey BM, I was actually going to suggest to create a separate room/board for Canvas discussion, but I guess you're not up for that then?
      There's already 3 canvas threads, so choose one and knock yourself out ;)
      BMfox

EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Dinosaurs died because they didn't evolve, luckily COW does. Let's embrace it instead of complaining about it.

"It's only cold when you need petrol to get a tank out of the ice to depart": my bootcamp training sergeant.
    • New

BMfox wrote:

K.Rokossovski wrote:

Hey BM, I was actually going to suggest to create a separate room/board for Canvas discussion, but I guess you're not up for that then?
      There's already 3 canvas threads, so choose one and knock yourself out ;)
      Ever bothered counting the amount of hospital threads? Surely 18 pages of replies warrants some better organization?
      When the enemy is driven back, we have failed. When he is cut off, encircled and dispersed, we have succeeded. - Aleksandr Suvorov.