Dealing with big stack

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dealing with big stack

Here's the situation
      I've almost finished a guy but now he's put all his remaining troops in a city (anti air and artillery included) and his planes are patrolling the city (6 tactical bombers, 3 attack bombers and an interceptor)
      How can I deal with this?
      Is it possible to send my interceptors attack his planes without being attacked by the anti air?
      We're only day 6 so I can't afford losing troops
    • directly attack the patrolling planes or destroy airbase. I once had a situation where a guy took 50 or so units and hid in his core lvl 5 fort city, had to research and produce RRGs for that
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • max_vallot wrote:

3 anti air , 2 anti tank, 1 armored car, 1 arty, 3 infantry, 1 motorized infantry
      bring like 6 AA guns in that patrol circle to kill the planes, then go in with 6 rocket artillery to shoot the hell out of that stack.

second option, 8 interceptor, patrol them in a part of the enemy patrol area but make sure that the enemy ground units aren't at all in your patrol circle. Once the planes have been killed you move in that 6 rocket arty and shoot the crap out of it. Should be done fast as all his units are unarmoured.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • Arty... attack from range without taking damage...

Rockets... Attack from range without taking damage...

Near a shoreline... Bombard with BB's... which attack from range without taking damage....

Wait for AI to take over... and aI will break up the stack trying to claim land in the surrounding area... allowing you to take out smaller chunks...

So many options...
      General Maximus Decimus Meridius - "Are you not entertained?"
    • OneNutSquirrel wrote:

Arty... attack from range without taking damage...

Arty attack from range without taking damage. Alright, but not rockets they are but one time use ;) They explode so self destruct.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • max_vallot wrote:

Here's the situation
      I've almost finished a guy but now he's put all his remaining troops in a city (anti air and artillery included) and his planes are patrolling the city (6 tactical bombers, 3 attack bombers and an interceptor)
      How can I deal with this?
      Is it possible to send my interceptors attack his planes without being attacked by the anti air?
      We're only day 6 so I can't afford losing troops
      You could surround the guy as Patron said; leaving the guy to separate his forces to target different stacks. You could out range him too with 3 or 4 rail road guns. Combine this with rocket arty, SPAA for multi role defense and some HP sponges, you got yourself an army. Just make sure they're separate stacks however of each unit; you don't want to make the same mistake as your opponent.

OneNutSquirrel wrote:

Arty... attack from range without taking damage...

Near a shoreline... Bombard with BB's... which attack from range without taking damage....

Wait for AI to take over... and aI will break up the stack trying to claim land in the surrounding area... allowing you to take out smaller chunks...

So many options...
      Keep a mind that the opponent's artillery can hit him too, which will in this case take damage

Battleships are situational, as you can't always use them all the time. Especially in this update you'll need to dedicate more resources to its support as well since it can't fend off anything other than convoys and other ships at sea.

Rockets just take so much rare material, where you could spend that same rare material for rocket arty, in which that is more cost effective.
      Ciro702

EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Any problems or bugs found? Submit a ticket here! :P

"Having an army is good. Having the insight of an enemy's is better"
    • Every plane needs to refuel at some point. Once France attacked me when I invaded Poland. He had a large Air Force. However, what I simply did was when his planes flew back to refuel. My tactical bombers simply followed his returning aircraft. I bombed his planes when they were refueling. Causing over 8/10 of the hit points to be immedietly exhausted. With his forces vulnurable I turned my planes on his ground units. After I destroyed most of his front line troops. He tried to plug the gap, but my troops quickly exploited it. I destroyed reinforcements that were trying to assist him. UK tried to bomb me too, I just simply used the same strategy on him. Afterwards I had taken Paris and France agreed to surrender.
    • The easiest way is to wait for better units to attack him. If you take any other land he has, he will run out of resources (most likely) and be unable to improve his army in any way. Missing 1 non-core city isn't a large issue, but your military will be there, possibly giving others extra time to expand and gain an advantage over you. That means it's better to let him sit there and make it look like your entire army is around, well using part of it for expanding. Then, you can make a force to destroy him (a lot of rocket artillery, or a stack of 10 motorized infantry, etc).

Using a rocket to hit the airport and disable the planes would also be a great move but make sure his airport is not high level and that there are few buildings in the airport province.
      If there is more buildings but the airport is lv1 you could make a few rockets instead of one, but send them one by one, not together. As only some buildings are chosen to take damage when a rocket battery hits, if you sent all rockets at once, they may end up dealing large damage to other buildings but leaving the airport untouched. This chance is reduced to the Xth root of itself when X rocket batteries hit individually.

Info about large stacks in general:
      There is a frequent myth that large stacks are less effective. Not really true though.
      If an army is greater than 10, the game uses the top 10 units with the highest damage against an armour class to determine the damage output against that armour class. So you could still have more than 10 units contributing to the fight - different units making up the damage values against different armour classes in the enemy army. (example: a stack of 10 tactical and 10 attack bombers will have the damage of 10 attack bombers against tank armour class and the damage of 10 tactical bombers against the infantry one).

If we were speaking of a fight of identical units (like 100 tanks - army A against 10 tanks - army B), only 10 tanks will be doing damage from each group. That means both groups will have the same damage output, and so army A should win with 90% hp left (assuming we have no RNG of course).
      However, this isn't quite true either. The lower the health percentage of a unit is, the less damage that unit deals. As army A has 10x more health than army B, the health percentage of army A will fall 10x slower, and so will its damage efficiency. So, over time army B's damage will decrease 10x faster, resulting in army A winning with 93% hp left.

All this means large stacks are actually more effective in battle. This doesn't mean everyone should make them, though. If you make huge stacks, it allows the enemy to sneak through behind your lines and disable airports, damage production buildings or your economy. Losing a large stack is a large loss naturally, so you also have to include a lot of unit types to counter any enemy counterattack, which usually results in the stack being... sloowww. And that gives your enemy an opportunity to prepare, and in extreme cases, you may find out your army is technologically outdated by the time it arrives on the battlefield (:D)

On the other side, with smaller stacks it's okay to separate raiding groups, specialized in picking off reinforcements and capturing the enemy's important provinces, and you can even build an army based on fast units only (Medium tank + mech infantry + SP Artillery and such). Such army compositions are counterable, but as they're fast your enemy might not have the time to react with a counter. That's the point of Blitzkrieg, which is kind of the opposite of desperate stacking.
      Excuse me for using the term "stack", Gral Anibal is already imagining piles of tanks I'm sure. Just used to it. Lol.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper