Release Notes - 2021-04-27

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Release Notes - 2021-04-27

Release Notes - 2021-04-27

Attention, generals!

Today’s update implements a supply drop timer icon and info popups for generals that play on the mobile app in the game. The timer will appear as soon as a supply drop is available to you on the map, while an info popup will provide information on its exact location. Should you conquer it, another info popup will reveal the contents of the supply drop to you.

We also fixed various bugs this week. One of which happens to be the handy lasso tool, that allows you to easily select multiple units on a map. On some maps the lasso was, although functioning, not visible to players. Luckily this is a thing of the past now, and the tool is displayed correctly on all maps again.

To learn what else was updated and fixed today, please check the list below for a complete overview on all changes:

General:
      • When hitting the back button on your mobile device while inside a game round or on the overview screen a popup will open that lets you exit the app.
      • All Call of War Classic game rounds that were still running have been ended and Classic games have been removed as an option when creating a game round.
      • A supply drop timer icon is displayed in the upper left corner of the screen on mobile devices now, should a supply drop be available on the map.
      • An info popup now informs you on mobile devices, when a supply drop is available in a province.
      • Another info popup was added in the app, that informs you about the contents of a supply drop once you secured it.
      • Players on desktop can now test an early development version of the new beta client.
        • The beta client allows for faster and easier implementation of improvements, functions and display options that are not feasible with the current client once fully fleshed out.
        • Please note that this is an early beta stage of the client and that aspects, features, functionalities, and appearance might change with future updates.
        • You find a button to switch to the new beta client in the account settings. Once switched, closing the tab and reopening it will open the last chosen setting. To switch back to the old client, re-visit the account settings in the new beta client.
      Bug fixes:
      • An issue was resolved that prevented the lasso tool, which allows for the selection of multiple units at once, to be displayed on certain maps.
      • A bug was resolved that caused the user interface to become unresponsive, when the forgotten password popup was closed on desktop.
      • The autocompletion of usernames in the name dropdown menu when writing a message is working correctly again.
      • An issue in the mobile app was resolved that caused the link to the Call of War Wiki on the Country Chooser in some game rounds to open a blank page. When clicking the link, the Wiki is opened correctly now.
      • A bug on desktop was fixed, that caused airplanes in convoy mode to display the speed value of the airplane mode in the army bar. Airplanes in convoy mode now display the speed value of the convoy in the army bar.
      • An issue on mobile was resolved that caused submarines to be displayed on top of certain units.
      • A bug was fixed that prevented the input in the password field to be hidden by **** when trying to change the password in the account settings.
      We hope you like the new supply drop time on mobile, and that the bug fixes help you to be victorious in all the battles to come.

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • New bug: can't view map properly on mobile, have bug reported
      "In my humble opinion, on the subject matter, topic and content discussed beforehand; I would like to humbly propose, convey my idea on the subject and remark; this, with the help of the afforementioned post" - Karl von Krass

"The Golden Spire is looking for members, Anyone with good sense of game mechanics and a discord account can apply"

Secretary of Nova0213
    • PC version - I like how you can select which unit type to view on the map. The more control over what I can see or not see is always better.
      "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
      General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run
    • About New Beta Client;

Updates about alliances are useful.

''Send to message to all members, welcome and invitation message.''

Other than that, I remember most of the other features were on S1914. it's good to have these features in Call of War, though.

It would be nice if we could see the units of our own alliance members while in spectate mode during alliance wars. (It would have been nice to watch the battle instead of just the map.) :)

✦ Darkinz

✮ Dark-Legacy Leader ✮
    • Arcorian wrote:

All Call of War Classic game rounds that were still running have been ended and Classic games have been removed as an option when creating a game round.
      Didn't you guys originally say you'd keep the classic Call of War version 1.0 maps as an option, though only able to be started manually, never automatically...and that they'd be around for us veterans?

WHY go back on your word? AND, why put a stop to existing rounds? Though I hated that I couldn't find any open matches of classic mode, I hoped to be able to join some, once in awhile.

THIS NEW VERSION 1.5 IS ANNOYINGLY TOO MUCH LIKE CONFLICT OF NATIONS. I'VE SAID OVER AND OVER HOW PERPLEXING IT IS THAT THE URBAN-ONLY FOCUS IS TOO UNREALISTIC TO THE REALITIES OF WORLD WAR II. I've also said how the new version was nice in it's own right, but would better off be treated as an "alternate" of the main game, not the "primary". I've also said, that since the focus would be on the new version, that at least so long as the "classic" version was maintained, we old-timers have something to look forward to, from time to time, and that we can be confident the company hasn't abandoned us.

Now, I'm not sure what to say. I'm playing the newfangled version, but I sorely miss the old. And to find out I may never play it again....well, it's taking me everything I have to not swear up a storm and tell these people where to put this game....and I want to rage-quit, but I have a responsibility to another player in an existing match.

I don't know if I'm more upset that they dropped the classic maps altogether, or that they lied to us about it.

I am REALLY pissed off.....and I don't know what I may do, next.

And this, finding out about this AFTER I went through all that trouble to make a large post with carefully-edited front-end code for @freezy and the other devs to be able to implement the new "Classic View" controls, which would have worked well with the classic game maps (AND, they'd work with the v.1.5 maps).

THAT^ is found HERE.

Where is your love for us?

WE ARE BYTRO'S GAMING COMMUNITY.

STOP STABBING US IN THE BACK, PLEASE!!!!!
    • It was made clear from the beginning (since October) that classic was going to be removed. When classic game modes stopped generating, they said that all classic games would stop in April. At the beginning of April, they said it would be the 27th. It’s been known for a very long time, so I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “Why did they go back on their word?”
      DoctorDR1

Game Operator
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket

"Commander Cody, the time has come. Execute Order 66." -Sheev Palpatine
    • I may not have fully understood all that, but eliminating ALL classic Call of War (v.1.0) forever just isn't right. Even though Civilization is like in it's sixth or seventh generation, one can play any of the earlier versions of the game if they can get ahold of the game.

Sure, Bytro doesn't have code available for download (maybe they should, for modding purposes), but they could at least not block us from being able to enjoy an occasional round of the tried and true original game, the one that drew us in, in the first place. And having to wait for "someday" to happen, to have to keep eyes open and ear to the ground on the off-chance that SOMEBODY on your staff MIGHT eventually start a classic match on THEIR timescale....well, that just doesn't do it for me. And it ain't going to do it for anybody else, either.

Sure, you could have an "event" which a person might notice and join in, but it just doesn't seem like the right thing to do, making this so rare that even a high-command player couldn't just start up a match when they want. The Dominion Antarctica map might be a rare event, but a paying player can start one anytime. The same should be true for the classic game. Also, having to be a paying customer ought not be a requirement for matches played by alliances against themselves or in alliance matches (where they've been challenged by other long-time players like us).

I have every version of Civilization. But I still play the older ones more often than the new ones. And they each have their good points. The same is true for Call of War v.1 and 1.5....and CoN (though not my fav),, NWE, and both of the old medieval games which, sadly, have been discontinued.

BTW, letting us have access to a moddable server-side package for creating stand-alone mods of the older discontinued games would be a great way for Bytro to crack open it's tight grip on all its proprietary code. I'm not even advocating for the game engine core code, just the stuff that lets game rules, units, structures, maps, etc., be editable.

Yes, please open up the game for modding. At least then, the number of requests put upon your devs will plummet as people with ideas start implementing their own code. Then, as certain mods get accepted by staff, they can become downloadable content for the dedicated community....and you can even charge for the content!
    • Civilization is an offline client game. Call of War is a free2play online game running via servers.

If anything you should compare this to other always-online or free2play games.

Take League of Legends for example. It is constantly patched and updated and you cannot play the original version from years ago anymore. Or take any free2play browser/mobile game of a decent size.

Of course some companies spend tremendous effort to bring classic modes back, such as the Classic version of World of Warcraft, but usually it is a big undertaking and not the norm.

We modeled our idea to run classic events from time to time in the future btw indeed after the World of Warcraft example :) When we run such events it will be communicated beforehand of course.

We discussed opening up to modding in the past and we won't do that for our existing games, sorry. The hurdles (legal & security) and the effort (time & money) is just too big, and always has to be weighed against opportunity cost of spending that time/money into other things. Perhaps for future games where this is planned in architecturally from the get-go.
    • freezy wrote:

Civilization is an offline client game. Call of War is a free2play online game running via servers.

Take League of Legends for example. It is constantly patched and updated and you cannot play the original version from years ago anymore. Or take any free2play browser/mobile game of a decent size.

Of course some companies spend tremendous effort to bring classic modes back, such as the Classic version of World of Warcraft, but usually it is a big undertaking and not the norm.

We modeled our idea to run classic events from time to time in the future btw indeed after the World of Warcraft example :) When we run such events it will be communicated beforehand of course.

We discussed opening up to modding in the past and we won't do that for our existing games, sorry. The hurdles (legal & security) and the effort (time & money) is just too big, and always has to be weighed against opportunity cost of spending that time/money into other things. Perhaps for future games where this is planned in architecturally from the get-go.
      As in "never", but in future games (i.e., NOT Call of War), just not the most important game in the history of gaming. Wouldn't it make sense to make a portable server, then? One that could just have older versions of the game which could be modded, and only played on that portable server? As to security, just keep the engine code separate, such that the portable server either has to connect to the core server to utilize the game engine, or else encrypt the code and keep it machine-code only, on the portable server. I mean, really, WHO would ever try to steal your precious? Any coders who'd be interested in the game engine code would only want to make it better, by contributing to the source code.

If anything, you guys should REALLY consider the idea of going open-source. It's worked for other "big" programs, even some very large ones, if not necessarily "gaming" ones. It doesn't necessarily mean losing revenue. And adding mods to the game would only increase revenue because of renewed interest by the dedicated gamers.

As to your example of League of Legends vs. Civilization...I 've never heard of League of Legends, but Civilization has always had multiplayer modes, and the newer versions require online connectivity and play — especially for multiplayer — through their gaming servers. The only difference between them and you, is that they put a larger package of the game on the client computer, whereas you keep everything server-side and only download live...which is kinda overly-dependent on high-speed access, btw, but that's an argument for another time.

Perhaps the philosophy of the environment at Bytro needs to be shaken up a bit...and then a bit more....to make the company more user-centric (in terms of letting the users be contributors who work WITH the devs). Besides, with a dedicated volunteer PROGRAMMING staff, imagine all the work you could accomplish?

You just have to learn to trust US, your game's loyal playing community.
    • freezy wrote:

Civilization is an offline client game. Call of War is a free2play online game running via servers.

It is funny that you would bring up League of Legends as an example for letting players play an older version of the game. Because looksy here what happened when someone tried ;) :chronoshift.dev/
    • Stumpy Pete wrote:

As in "never", but in future games (i.e., NOT Call of War), just not the most important game in the history of gaming. Wouldn't it make sense to make a portable server, then? One that could just have older versions of the game which could be modded, and only played on that portable server? As to security, just keep the engine code separate, such that the portable server either has to connect to the core server to utilize the game engine, or else encrypt the code and keep it machine-code only, on the portable server. I mean, really, WHO would ever try to steal your precious? Any coders who'd be interested in the game engine code would only want to make it better, by contributing to the source code.
      If anything, you guys should REALLY consider the idea of going open-source. It's worked for other "big" programs, even some very large ones, if not necessarily "gaming" ones. It doesn't necessarily mean losing revenue. And adding mods to the game would only increase revenue because of renewed interest by the dedicated gamers.

As to your example of League of Legends vs. Civilization...I 've never heard of League of Legends, but Civilization has always had multiplayer modes, and the newer versions require online connectivity and play — especially for multiplayer — through their gaming servers. The only difference between them and you, is that they put a larger package of the game on the client computer, whereas you keep everything server-side and only download live...which is kinda overly-dependent on high-speed access, btw, but that's an argument for another time.

Perhaps the philosophy of the environment at Bytro needs to be shaken up a bit...and then a bit more....to make the company more user-centric (in terms of letting the users be contributors who work WITH the devs). Besides, with a dedicated volunteer PROGRAMMING staff, imagine all the work you could accomplish?

You just have to learn to trust US, your game's loyal playing community.

While what you propose is nice to imagine it is still a bit of fantastical thinking honestly. Stuff like what you are suggesting was never done yet for any free2play online game. Most games that have modding where developed with modding in mind architecturally, sometimes even using the modding tools to develop the game content itself. And nearly all of them are offline client games which you purchase upfront. CoW has a huge online server component and it was also developed without any modding compatibility in mind and it also monetizes via free2play mechanics. To make CoW modable the whole game and architecture needs to be reimplemented and the business model adjusted. There is no way that any stakeholder could be convinced that this is the right thing to focus on right now. The effort and risk is too high for us to swallow, with the gain being too uncertain. So sadly I have to tell you that this won't be done.

Agent47 wrote:

It is funny that you would bring up League of Legends as an example for letting players play an older version of the game. Because looksy here what happened when someone tried ;) :chronoshift.dev/
      I know, was the reason I actually brought it up :D This project shows that alot of effort went into developing this older version. And in the end the whole thing got C&D'd from Riot regardless (the whole thing is pretty murky). But kudos to the fan devs who managed to develop it.
    • Stumpy Pete wrote:

Arcorian wrote:

All Call of War Classic game rounds that were still running have been ended and Classic games have been removed as an option when creating a game round.
      Didn't you guys originally say you'd keep the classic Call of War version 1.0 maps as an option, though only able to be started manually, never automatically...and that they'd be around for us veterans?
      WHY go back on your word? AND, why put a stop to existing rounds? Though I hated that I couldn't find any open matches of classic mode, I hoped to be able to join some, once in awhile.

THIS NEW VERSION 1.5 IS ANNOYINGLY TOO MUCH LIKE CONFLICT OF NATIONS. I'VE SAID OVER AND OVER HOW PERPLEXING IT IS THAT THE URBAN-ONLY FOCUS IS TOO UNREALISTIC TO THE REALITIES OF WORLD WAR II. I've also said how the new version was nice in it's own right, but would better off be treated as an "alternate" of the main game, not the "primary". I've also said, that since the focus would be on the new version, that at least so long as the "classic" version was maintained, we old-timers have something to look forward to, from time to time, and that we can be confident the company hasn't abandoned us.

Now, I'm not sure what to say. I'm playing the newfangled version, but I sorely miss the old. And to find out I may never play it again....well, it's taking me everything I have to not swear up a storm and tell these people where to put this game....and I want to rage-quit, but I have a responsibility to another player in an existing match.

I don't know if I'm more upset that they dropped the classic maps altogether, or that they lied to us about it.

I am REALLY pissed off.....and I don't know what I may do, next.

And this, finding out about this AFTER I went through all that trouble to make a large post with carefully-edited front-end code for @freezy and the other devs to be able to implement the new "Classic View" controls, which would have worked well with the classic game maps (AND, they'd work with the v.1.5 maps).

THAT^ is found HERE.

Where is your love for us?

WE ARE BYTRO'S GAMING COMMUNITY.

STOP STABBING US IN THE BACK, PLEASE!!!!!

This is going to bring a lot of hate, but so do all my other posts
      STOP STABBING US IN THE BACK, Huh
      Since everyone here is referring to other games, so will I
      Remember season 5 of Fortnite when they removed the pump shotguns
      Now I know there will be somebody who is going to reply-"Fortnite and CoW are different games what are you talking about"
      Please understand I am referring to the people, not the game
      So yeah, when they removed the pumps, everyone was like- "omg they removed the most OG gun in the game I am not going to play Fortnite anymore"
      But then they covered that by adding more stuff like NPC and Lver shotguns

So please do not start commenting that just because they removed classic games means the game is trash
      who knows what is coming in 2.0?
      Maybe it is better than 1.0?
      YeeHaw
    • I miss some of the secret research that was in 1.0 that I think would be cool to mess around with in 2.0 speed events (mostly talking about the nuclear powered ships). But at the same time I do see why they were removed... all in all 2.0 is a lot more straight forward in my opinion bringing new players to the scene and still has most of that CoW feel that was in 1.0.
    • HSS223 wrote:

I miss some of the secret research that was in 1.0 that I think would be cool to mess around with in 2.0 speed events (mostly talking about the nuclear powered ships). But at the same time I do see why they were removed... all in all 2.0 is a lot more straight forward in my opinion bringing new players to the scene and still has most of that CoW feel that was in 1.0.
      some achievements being unaviable becouse of them missing are sad to watch.