Release Notes - 2021-05-11

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Release Notes - 2021-05-11

Attention, generals!

Today’s update brings new WebGL shaders to Call of War. The new shaders replace the current ones which will improve map performance and alter the look of our maps slightly. We tried to incorporate some of the feedback our Canvas veterans provided, who used to play with the removed Canvas graphics mode until the very end.

New gradient effects were added, contrasts were tweaked and distance fog effects and new ways to render coastal waves were implemented. We also adjusted the color balance in the moral view mode to make it less bright, and the color saturation when zooming in on the map was reduced across all view modes. In the low graphics mode, the alternative to the removed Canvas graphics mode, the color saturation was reduced in general.

Apart from the mentioned changes, we also resolved various bugs in the game. For a complete overview, please see the list below:

General:
      • New WebGL shaders were implemented and replace currently used shaders to improve map performance and user experience.
        • Land masses stand out more now, as a new gradient effect is displayed from the inner land mass towards the coast. This change also makes the map appear a little less bright.
        • According to player feedback, the contrast of non-core province stripes has been reduced in all available view modes.
        • Coastal waves are rendered in a new way.
        • A slight distance fog effect was added that is displayed when you zoom out on a map.
        • The color balance in the morale view mode was adjusted by decreasing the color saturation to make it less bright.
        • The color saturation when zooming in closely on a map was reduced in all view modes, according to player feedback.
        • The color saturation in the low graphics mode was reduced in general.
        • The intensity of the red pulsating stripes for revolting provinces was reduced in the mid and high graphics mode.
      Bug fixes:
      • The Damage Building button used to be displayed for Capital provinces on mobile devices, even when no building was built in the province. This was changed now. The button is only available in case there are buildings in a province (including Capitals).
      • An issue was resolved that could prevent players from deactivating Rally points once set.
      • A bug on mobile devices was fixed that could cause the “treasure found” icon to overlap with the “supply drop” icon. If both icons are displayed, they are shown below each other.
      • A bug was fixed that caused an error message to be displayed when the page was refreshed while the Support Request Form was open.
      • An issue was resolved that could prevent positioning of units to be displayed. Positioning dots are now always displayed for all units to make micromanaging armies on the map more consistent.
      • A bug was fixed that caused submarines to be displayed on top of other certain units. Submarines are now always displayed at the bottom in case several units are displayed at the same location.
      • An issue was resolved that could cause some sections of a unit's movement line to turn invisible unless it was hovered over/highlighted. The complete movement line of units is now visible again.
      • An issue on the Europe - Clash of Nations 22 Player map was resolved, that allowed players to build harbors at the great lakes in Detroit and Toronto, although the lakes have no connection to the ocean. The option to build harbors in those provinces and the sea connection from these cities to the lakes were removed.
        • This change affects newly created game rounds only. Existing game rounds are not affected by this change.
      • Several bugs on various maps have been fixed, including spelling mistakes, incorrect flags and road connections.
      • Some Classic Gamerounds that were not ended with the previous release due to an issue, have been ended now.
      We hope you like the changes made and wish you all the best on the battlefield!

Your Bytro Team
      Discord: Call of War
      Facebook: Call of War
      Twitter: Call of War
    • Although the graphics look nicer, it has become a bit of a hassle to differentiate between owned and foreign territories (imgur.com/a/2eHwacy). I suggest tuning up the brightness for islands and continent extremities.

Edit: adding additional example, this one is even more noticeable. The islands are just too dark (imgur.com/a/fYt34cQ).

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lain_ ().

• I dunno. It looks better but it also feels like I'm playing a permanent night mode, ish. Also, rn I am playing as PNG in a Pacific Conquest map, having conquered pretty much every small island between me and Hawaii/Tahiti, all these small islands are very very dark. Doesn't matter if I am zoomed in or not, I can't see any distinct bright colour on my own territory, adding confusion. It's so dark that i have to manually click every individual island to even be able to tell if I still control it or not.

This is on mobile. Havn't checked browser version yet. Max screen lighting didn't help, tried all different graphic settings to no avail. Ironically, low settings was the only one where I distinctly could tell if a territory was mine or not. Surely this can't be working as intended? Either that or I turned completely colour blind overnight, which I highly doubt. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work you're putting in here, but please look into this issue.

To sum it up, going from bright beige to dark green/brown-ish isn't just "less bright", it's the total opposite. While the overall graphics does seem more appealing to ones eyes, it's not very user friendly. If the goal of the update was to improve overall performance that goal was achieved but in the wrong way - now we/i have to play on low settings even if it's not required.

The post was edited 3 times, last by General Kadhammer ().

• Somanta wrote:

It's like night mode, yes, but better than before. It's not Canvas, but at least I can look the screen for more than 5 minutes.
      Still not a good excuse to make foreign territories and owned territories nearly indistinguishable from one another. Besides the flashier effects and cool water reflections near shores, IMO, this graphics update went a step backwards.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lain_ ().

• Hey guys, most of the changes are based on direct feedback from players. Quite a few players complained that the WebGL graphics were too bright or too colorful. So we adressed it with this update. It is unfortunate that this change is not liked by another set of players, but it shows that it is hard to compromise between all the different interests of diverse groups of players in our Community :)

Anyway, we will look into the issue of islands being too dark, potentially it could get adressed in one of the June updates. Thanks for the feedback!
    • Can't win for losing it seems with graphics. I hope everyone takes notice of these kinds of updates. They make updates that some people hate and some people like. We as a community need to be understanding of this and sometimes accept an update for the greater good. They can't please everyone. There are some things that I personally want to see in the game but the effort and resources to go into that one thing to please me may not be what other players might want. The devs understand this and have to please the majority of players... not just a few.

I enjoyed either way but I do enjoy the new shading because it does tone down the "loudness" of the brighter version and offers that appeal to the old canvas version that I like.
    • Exactly. I hope all of those who think the devs don't care about player opinions take a look at this update, and realize that the devs try their best to please everyone. Since everyone has different opinions about everything, each update isn't going to make everyone happy. For example, I personally preferred the previous graphic shading, but I understand that a large majority of players prefer this one, meaning that it's more valuable to change it.

For those who wanted WebGL to be less bright, I hope you find this update meaningful! After all, updates allow Call of War to improve.
      DoctorDR1

Game Operator
      EN Community Support | Bytro Labs Gmbh

Click Here to submit a bug report or support ticket

"Commander Cody, the time has come. Execute Order 66." -Sheev Palpatine
    • Tribunate wrote:

Can't win for losing it seems with graphics. I hope everyone takes notice of these kinds of updates. They make updates that some people hate and some people like. We as a community need to be understanding of this and sometimes accept an update for the greater good. They can't please everyone. There are some things that I personally want to see in the game but the effort and resources to go into that one thing to please me may not be what other players might want. The devs understand this and have to please the majority of players... not just a few.

I enjoyed either way but I do enjoy the new shading because it does tone down the "loudness" of the brighter version and offers that appeal to the old canvas version that I like.
      Ofc. No biggie. It's really nice apart from the Islands, small territories didn't scale well with the shading for obvious reasons. Hopefully there will be an update with some sort of lighter borders for islands, or reduced shading for these territories in particular, it's all we ask I think.
    • DoctorDR1 wrote:

Exactly. I hope all of those who think the devs don't care about player opinions take a look at this update, and realize that the devs try their best to please everyone. Since everyone has different opinions about everything, each update isn't going to make everyone happy. For example, I personally preferred the previous graphic shading, but I understand that a large majority of players prefer this one, meaning that it's more valuable to change it.

For those who wanted WebGL to be less bright, I hope you find this update meaningful! After all, updates allow Call of War to improve.
      I just don't like the update, that's all...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ciro702 ().