Units upgrade bug ? ... or not.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Units upgrade bug ? ... or not.

I am wondering if this is a bug or not, because I am playing allies doctrine known to have lower upgrades cost and time.
      Check this out tho :

It cost exactly the same to upgrade a level 1 unit and a level 3 unit to the max level.
      I have been using this the whole game to produce new units and wait to complete several levels of research to upgrade lower units and drastically save the ressources needed for my upgrades. I can tell you that the same happens to upgrade a level 1 unit and a level 3 unit to the max level which can be level 5.

Some exceptions tho

Here the cost is slightly different but still, it's pretty cheap to upgrade this lvl1 interceptor to lvl 4 compared to the cost of upgrading the lvl 3 interceptor to its lvl 4.
      It would cost me so much more to upgrade my lvl 1 interceptors to level 2, then research lvl 3 and upgrade all my level 2 interceptors to the next level and so on ...

Anyway, I found pretty illogical the upgrade cost of lower units. I was playing allies doctrine but I don't know if the same happens for other doctrines.
      I am wondering if this is a bug or if it's intended.
    • It's intentional, upgrades would be ineffective otherwise.
      For all doctrines except Allies the upgrade cost is half the production cost, upgrade time half the minimum production time of the target level. For Allies the upgrade cost is 20% lower.
      This makes upgrading multiple levels up more effective. Basically if the health times damage (vs. any armour class) of the target level is atleast double the health*damage of the starting level it's worth it.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper