Information of troops that have passed view rang and view range in general

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Information of troops that have passed view rang and view range in general

Do u like the ideas? 10
        yes (6) 60%
        no (4) 40%
      Hi! My name is IZAL.S and I am part of GD Division but you can just call me Izal. For this suggestion I have two ideas

number one is:

I play Spain a lot in my games and I was thinking, ''what if I could see what ships passed through the Strait of Gibraltar?''
      I sometimes like to declare(rarely) that I control the Mediterranean because I have the west entrance(which would be the main entrance) to the Mediterranean, and I always say, if I ever do declare it in the first place, to please let me know if you're passing by. But then I realise ''what if I am offline and don't notice any ships passing by?'' pretty useless to ask who is passing by if they could just lie to me.

So what I was thinking was what if I put an infantry down as a ''scout'' and every time a ship that wasn't mine passes it would give a notification with what the ship was. Of course this could be used for defending your sea borders as well and not just for blockades and stuff of the like.

number two is:

View range, majority of the time if u are somewhere up high(like a mountain or hill), you can see further. This could make the game a lot more strategical and interesting. Place units on mountains and hills and they can see maybe 20% further, this could implicate a lot of new strategies and help prepare for wars, example of a strategy could be instead of getting closer to a city and possibly getting ass blasted by artillery, go to a nearby province with hills/mountains and avoid attack but u can see what is in the city.

Please contemplate these ideas Bytro. I truly think they could make your game better
    • Idea number 1: This idea might work. Maybe you could produce a scout unit that would report on what it saw. Though if a lot of units passed through, this idea would be kind of annoying.

Idea number 2: This idea is good. If will add another layer of strategy. However, this will only work on isolated hills and mountains.
      WHOS GONNA CARRY THE BOATS?
      WHOS GONNA CARRY THE LOGS?
      THEY DON'T KNOW YOU SON!

- David Goggins
    • TomtheBuilder wrote:

That's the job of planes and spies, anything that passes through their patrol circle with be marked with the shadow spy man.
      But you dont know what type and how many. Placing a sub at a strategic point that informed you of: Size of convoy and Country (owner) -would be great to have. Same with Scout planes
      "Es gibt keine verzweifelten Lagen, es gibt nur verzweifelte Menschen" - There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.
      General Heinz Guderian (Schneller Heinz)

Kenny says - You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away And know when to run
    • dw98 wrote:

TomtheBuilder wrote:

That's the job of planes and spies, anything that passes through their patrol circle with be marked with the shadow spy man.
      But you dont know what type and how many. Placing a sub at a strategic point that informed you of: Size of convoy and Country (owner) -would be great to have. Same with Scout planes
      what do you mean you don't know, click on the stack and it will tell you the owner, contents and last seen location.
      I should probably change what I write in here. -No one ever
    • IZAL.S wrote:

Hi! My name is IZAL.S and I am part of GD Division but you can just call me Izal. For this suggestion I have two ideas

number one is:

I play Spain a lot in my games and I was thinking, ''what if I could see what ships passed through the Strait of Gibraltar?''
      I sometimes like to declare(rarely) that I control the Mediterranean because I have the west entrance(which would be the main entrance) to the Mediterranean, and I always say, if I ever do declare it in the first place, to please let me know if you're passing by. But then I realise ''what if I am offline and don't notice any ships passing by?'' pretty useless to ask who is passing by if they could just lie to me.

So what I was thinking was what if I put an infantry down as a ''scout'' and every time a ship that wasn't mine passes it would give a notification with what the ship was. Of course this could be used for defending your sea borders as well and not just for blockades and stuff of the like.

number two is:

View range, majority of the time if u are somewhere up high(like a mountain or hill), you can see further. This could make the game a lot more strategical and interesting. Place units on mountains and hills and they can see maybe 20% further, this could implicate a lot of new strategies and help prepare for wars, example of a strategy could be instead of getting closer to a city and possibly getting ass blasted by artillery, go to a nearby province with hills/mountains and avoid attack but u can see what is in the city.

Please contemplate these ideas Bytro. I truly think they could make your game better
      The first idea would change the game drastically. View range gets more important as you are more likely to check the game while a foreign army is within your view; planes save all armies within the view as intelligence reveals when patrolling over them. This makes being active more important and expands the uses of planes and high view range units. Placing all units the right way then allows you to be more aware of the enemy, and it also allows the enemy to sneak in if he's good at observing (your timezone for example), finding your units and finding a weak spot. I just feel like the game is actually more strategic without the feature you're suggesting.

The second suggestion would make the game more complicated while adding just a tiny bit of strategy. In the lower level play, people don't care about view range and just ram tanks into each other, in high-level play people have flawless plane scouting, so extra view range for their land units wouldn't really change anything. This game has to be easy to understand and it has a lot of quite complicated mechanics, I think making the interface and features less messy is the priority. Of course, adding extra features makes the game more interesting, but only as long as anyone can actually make use of them.

I refuse ideas so often that I may seem like a conservative or a person that likes to argue, but the true reason is there are people working on this game and trying to find the best solutions. It's way more likely to see a bad suggestion than a good one. There just are different playstyles that prefer different features, but if something doesn't suit everyone it's likely just because changing it would upset even more players.
      I'm not saying suggestions are bad. They are most welcome, they start new discussions and players can share their opinions, and many updates are based on the feedback. I just don't want to seem like refusing everyone's ideas just to make myself look smarter or something, I'm just sharing my opinion...
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper
    • Hornetkeeper, right but, passing this feature would help if troops are passing by. It would help so you are alerted if the enemy may be reinforcing borders to attack.

you dont have to pay attention to it, but Im sure it would greatly help, and lower players arent great at patrolling so going on hills and mountains for further view would help them much more
    • IZAL.S wrote:

Hornetkeeper, right but, passing this feature would help if troops are passing by. It would help so you are alerted if the enemy may be reinforcing borders to attack.
      Exactly. That would eliminate surprise offensive strategies, so I wouldn't implement it. You have to set your armies up so that you don't miss enemy movements, that's part of skill and you have to master it.

IZAL.S wrote:

you dont have to pay attention to it, but Im sure it would greatly help, and lower players arent great at patrolling so going on hills and mountains for further view would help them much more
      I have personally not seen lower players who would even care about view range. Even if there was a benefit for them they wouldn't probably even learn about that feature and wouldn't use it. As soon as they learn enough about the game, they will probably learn to scout with planes and won't need view range anymore. That's the point.
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper
    • IZAL.S wrote:

@TomtheBuilder no u wouldn't because it would have passed. This helps for troops passing the view range of your troops This will mainly help on sea and not land, thats why I used an example including the sea. This will mainly help for ships passing your sea border or blockade
      Yes it would, say you have a plane patrolling the Panama Canal. A ship passes through, it lights up on your patrol view circle. It remains lighted up as it passes through the canal. When exiting the view range, it remains spotted at the edge stating the last seen time as the time it has exited your view range. It would disappear at day change. It would disappear completely if you were spotting it with a land unit instead of an aircraft.
      I should probably change what I write in here. -No one ever