Popularity system is broken.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Popularity system is broken.

Now the popularity system is even more broken than before. For two games I literally did right of the way with every AI nation in the start and any inactive player. I wasn't unpopular, no country had embargoed me yet. Suddenly, some random nation starts attacking me for no reason. This problem should be fixed or committing war crimes should be added.
    • vietcong2005 wrote:

Now the popularity system is even more broken than before. For two games I literally did right of the way with every AI nation in the start and any inactive player. I wasn't unpopular, no country had embargoed me yet. Suddenly, some random nation starts attacking me for no reason. This problem should be fixed or committing war crimes should be added.
      Your overall popularity increases if:
      - You improve your relations with an AI nation. It has not to be too unpopular or you'd lose popularity instead.
      - You worsen relations with a dreaded enough nation (AI or player).
      - You get declared war on you, or surprise attacked (even better); or, you are getting conquered and losing.

Your overall (global) popularity is just an average of your individual popularity with every single AI nation, though. That's why it works like this.

Your individual popularity with a nation increases if:
      - You improve your relations with it.
      - You worsen your relations with their enemies (countries they have low individual popularity with) or improve your relations with their allies (countries they have good individual popularity with).
      - A nation they have average or lower individual popularity with worsens relations with you. The popularity between different nations is all related and this makes it flexible and not as clockwork.

This means that even if you have good global popularity, certain nations may have low popularity with you because you attacked their allies or allied their enemies, causing them to attack you. This is resolved by attacking the expanded nations most of the time. Those nations have low popularity with every country they conquered plus related countries so if you attack them, it helps a lot. If nation A attacks another the AI has average popularity with, the AI's popularity with nation A will decrease. As many players attack a ton of countries to expand, this makes expanded nations awfully unpopular. So attacking even just one of them can lift your popularity a lot. It almost always resolves my problems with individual popularity, and it isn't a disadvantage as if you overpower the expanded nation you get a ton of land, and they are often not as experienced (can tell by stats usually).
      "In CoW, don't stamp on things before looking. Rakes are everywhere!"

"Don't underestimate noobs; if they don't know what they're doing, how can you?"

Hornetkeeper