Squads/infantry upgrades

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Squads/infantry upgrades

This has been something on my mind for a while, and so I decided to suggest it.

It would work like this: you produce an infantry unit, any of the four (militia, infantry, motorised, mechanised) my understanding being that they last two are just infantry on vehicles to get places faster who get off in combat, pls correct me if im wrong, and then you produce a squad, which has a special weapon, and you merge them together to create a better infantry. It will make more sense in a bit, trust me.
      The squads would be: machine gun squad, mortar squad, and SPG (self propelled grenade, for those who don't know; like a bazooka) squad. they would be produced in a province with a barracks and an IC (industiral complex), and require the player to research them in the tech tree (the techs would be added), MG being available from day 1, mortar and SPG from whatever day infantry lvl 2 is.and could be upgraded, of course, probably 3 levels each. They would each require 100 manpower, 50 food, 300 money, and 50 goods to produce, and take 12 hours, base.
      They're stats, at lvl 1, would be something like this:

MG SquadMortar SquadSPG Squad
      V Infantry0.4 atk, 0.6 def0.4 atk, 0.3 def0.2 atk, 0.2 def
      V armor0.1 def0.2 atk, 0.2 def0.4 atk, 0.4 def
      V cities0.1 atk0.2 atk0.2 atk

They would each have 1 hp, infantry speed, and no terrain advantages/disadvantages, and an upkeep of 5 men and 10 food per day; now, your thinking these sound very crappy. And they are crappy, used like regular units. Here where their special feature comes in: merging. You can attach these guys to infantry class units (or send them into combat to get murdered alone), and they will combine, they're atk, def, and HP points combining to make them stronger, but the upkeep also combines. They take on the speed of whatever unit they merge with. The merging process would be soemething like-you move them into the same stack, then select the squad you want to merge, click the "merge" button, and select the infantry unit. Or you could select merge from a ways a way, and set it to move to the unit and merge. Units would then be named things like, "Machien gun infantry", "Mortar milita", "Motorised SPG infantry", etc, and become a seperat esub stack, or whatever the little panels in a stack are called. Units could not be unmerged.
      HOWEVER: you can only combine on squad with a unit, to prevent any excessive Op-ness. Also, mortars and spgs would have an advatage attacking frontier defences, something I will suggest in another post, and MGs would have an advanatage defending them.