Artillery Cooldown period

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Artillery Cooldown period

Artillery and Rockets need to have a cooldown period after they fire just like airborne units do. I am currently in a game #3,992,623 were the player just fires his artillery and rockets and then backs them up. He owns the province so my tanks get a 50% speed reduction so by the time they get to him they are destroyed. He is online 100% of the time so he is basically using them as mobile artillery and rockets. He has a stack of 30 that he divides into 3 stacks of 10. So there is no penalty reduction for more than 10 units. He then restacks them with his tanks and infantry and moves them back. The developers need to add a 30 minute movement penalty for artillery and rockets. Also maybe a 1 minute penalty when a new unit joins a stack.
    • good thought, but not practical

but as a suggestion, i will suggest that you use tactical bombers, it can easily kill the artelleries if it doesnt have Anti air. if stack of 10 and u want to rach it, get armoured vehicles of 15. divide it in 1,1,1,1,1,15
      let it kill the 1 troop and then u can reach it witout damage to your stack of 10

hope i am helpful
    • Why is it not practical? Have you ever been in the army? Do you know what is involved with moving Artillery. I am only asking for a cooldown period once it has fired. It takes 30 minutes for it to deal damage again so during that 30 minutes it should not be allowed to move. If you want to shoot and move build mobile artillery. Additionally the player does stack them with AA and infantry so the Tact's get eaten up because the stack is so large. As far as splitting the tanks into different stacks I feel like that defeats the purpose of the game.
    • So finally you have discovered that tanks are worthless in most terrains.
      Congratulations, now you have realized something that 90% of the COW players haven't.
      Major battles have been decided by infantry and artillery, that's just how it is.
      Infantry, artillery, rocket artillery, anti tank and AA. They are like the perfect marriage, they will take out anything.
      Some AC or mot infantry moving in all directions to capture the core cities that players always leave empty.
      Powered up by planes that will take out smaller stacks and single units.
      Instead of trying to buff his tactics you could learn from your mistakes and try to adopt his tactic.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • fox, tanks used wisely can defeat artillery positions, if they don't have too much. split them up, and when attacking forts, coordinate them. Artillery batteries fire upon one target at once, not multiple. The closest unit whacked and defeated will protect the rest, who can arrive to attack, since once arty gets to defending a province, they're nothing much. (Pan asian is recommended for counter-arty/naval unit, due to range bonus)
      If you say there are no limits in the world, why do you say to keep trying until you get something right? There is no limit of wrong answers, you're wasting your life away for a goal you can never reach. :00002178:

-Alexandera Nevsky
    • BMfox wrote:

So finally you have discovered that tanks are worthless in most terrains.
      Congratulations, now you have realized something that 90% of the COW players haven't.
      Major battles have been decided by infantry and artillery, that's just how it is.
      Infantry, artillery, rocket artillery, anti tank and AA. They are like the perfect marriage, they will take out anything.
      Some AC or mot infantry moving in all directions to capture the core cities that players always leave empty.
      Instead of trying to buff his tactics you could learn from your mistakes and try to adopt his tactic.
      That was rarely the case in wold war 2. You might as well call it Call of War 1914 if you really think that World War II was solely decided by infantry and artillery. Artillery is too overpowered in my opinion. Although, they played a crucial war in World War II, they are extremely misrepresented in Call of War. The only two units that I see players use is Artillery and Infantry. In World War I there was a heavy dependence on Artillery, it was a crucial and effective weapon. While, Artillery was effective in World War II, it was not as effective as it was in World War I. In World War II, tanks were crucial in making breakthroughs in enemy lines. Artillery was usually effective only against soft infantry targets rather than the armored tanks of World War II. Although, it might force them into unideal terrain, artillery did not have such a great effect on tanks. Plus artillery did require more time to deploy and redeploy in positions. Although, SP Arty takes less time, it would still take time. I propose that either the damage to armor and light armor should be reduced, or it should take more time to redeploy.
    • vietcong2005 wrote:

BMfox wrote:

That was rarely the case in wold war 2. You might as well call it Call of War 1914 if you really think that World War II was solely decided by infantry and artillery. Artillery is too overpowered in my opinion. Although, they played a crucial war in World War II, they are extremely misrepresented in Call of War. The only two units that I see players use is Artillery and Infantry. In World War I there was a heavy dependence on Artillery, it was a crucial and effective weapon. While, Artillery was effective in World War II, it was not as effective as it was in World War I. In World War II, tanks were crucial in making breakthroughs in enemy lines. Artillery was usually effective only against soft infantry targets rather than the armored tanks of World War II. Although, it might force them into unideal terrain, artillery did not have such a great effect on tanks. Plus artillery did require more time to deploy and redeploy in positions. Although, SP Arty takes less time, it would still take time. I propose that either the damage to armor and light armor should be reduced, or it should take more time to redeploy.
      Artillery did most of the casualties in ww2 as artillery crews traded fire and blew the enemy’s crew into smithereens.
      Images
      • 7B96909A-7E14-4362-8F90-A36540EE5138.png

496.96 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 10 times
      • 000C9D46-C24E-4797-9505-817935973C78.png

298.6 kB, 2,048×1,536, viewed 6 times
    • vietcong2005 wrote:

BMfox wrote:

Also, tanks battles only occur at plains (open field combat) rarely at forests or hills . Most forest and hills combat used airforce, infantry and artillery. In cities tanks were heavily exposed to roof top fire. In which airforce and infantry were mainly used.
    • Tgufyru wrote:

vietcong2005 wrote:

BMfox wrote:

Artillery did most of the casualties in ww2 as artillery crews traded fire and blew the enemy’s crew into smithereens.
      Obviously. Most units serving were infantry. Not tank crews. Artillery is useful, but it is way to overpowered that it was supposed to be in World War II. Although, highly effective against infantry, it was not that effective against tanks. The Whole reason why tanks were even created was to traverse difficult terrain and withstand artillery and infantry. The only way artillery can destroy a tank was that if it actually scored a direct hit. Which was extremely rare. Kind of strange Stalin would say that anyways. During the battle of Selow heights he nearly had 40,000 artillery pieces, yet the Soviets didn't even manage to destroy most of the German army after the bombardment. Resulting in many Soviet casualties during the attack.

The post was edited 2 times, last by vietcong2005 ().

• Thanks to everyone for responding. Lots of talk about effectiveness of artillery but all of you are missing the key point. There are two types of artillery and rocket units in this game. Infantry type and mobile type. Mobile artillery and rockets are mobile and require more resources and time to build. The trade off is that they fire and then retreat. I am good with that. I am not good with that for the infantry type of both units. Those two should fire and then have to wait 30 minutes before moving. They have to wait 30 minutes to fire again and I support that I just thing they should not be able to move as well. If you want to fire and move then build the mobility type of each unit. Again with the penalty to movement in enemy terrains at -50% tanks cannot cover the gap fast enough to hit artillery when retreating.

Additionally, if units are stacked in groups of more than 10 then you should not be able to restack them without some sort of penalty. The reason stacks greater than 10 have decreased damage is to discourage large stacks. However when a player unstacks them into 4 groups of 10 artillery or rockets and then hits your units it is basically the same as all 40 units doing 100% damage. Then before the planes or tanks can get there they restack with 10 AA and 10 AT and 10 Infantry. for a 70 stack that destroys any attacking planes or tanks.

I think this just takes away from the strategic aspects of the game. That is why there should also be a penalty of reduced defense when grouping units together in groups larger than 10 units. Think about it. If you have a field full of 70 units then basically a blind pilot could hit a target. It's all about making the strategy better.
    • Alexandera Nevsky wrote:

fox, tanks used wisely can defeat artillery positions, if they don't have too much. split them up, and when attacking forts, coordinate them. Artillery batteries fire upon one target at once, not multiple. The closest unit whacked and defeated will protect the rest, who can arrive to attack, since once arty gets to defending a province, they're nothing much. (Pan asian is recommended for counter-arty/naval unit, due to range bonus)
      A player who uses his artillery wisely will put a meat shield in front of his artillery. Your tanks would run into a wall. The point of artillery is that they are always protected as they are so valuable.

Dinjinn wrote:

Those two should fire and then have to wait 30 minutes before moving. They have to wait 30 minutes to fire again and I support that I just thing they should not be able to move as well. If you want to fire and move then build the mobility type of each unit. Again with the penalty to movement in enemy terrains at -50% tanks cannot cover the gap fast enough to hit artillery when retreating.
      Remember that most players in COW aren't super active. They chose Axis as a doctrine, stack infantry with tanks, send them on a long march and try to overrun their enemy by login in only twice a day. If your artillery buff would be introduced they would actually have a chance to win with their offline tactic. The point of using artillery is having to be proactive and micro manage.

Everyone in this game has the same toolbox. Tank lovers only use one tool with one function that fits all while other players chose to use a multifunktional tool with which they can do a better job. Now you are shouting "oh they use a better tool then me, please make their tool worse. You could simply also grab the multifunktional tool in your toolbox you know.
      BMfox
      EN Community Support | Bytro Gmbh

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BMfoxCallofWar

Found a bug or need help? Send a ticket here!
    • Dinjinn wrote:

Why is it not practical? Have you ever been in the army? Do you know what is involved with moving Artillery. I am only asking for a cooldown period once it has fired. It takes 30 minutes for it to deal damage again so during that 30 minutes it should not be allowed to move. If you want to shoot and move build mobile artillery. Additionally the player does stack them with AA and infantry so the Tact's get eaten up because the stack is so large. As far as splitting the tanks into different stacks I feel like that defeats the purpose of the game.
      The game won’t be “realistic “ . In terms of logistics, there a lot of things that could be added to make it more “realistic “. For example, tanks not being able to drive in hills and mountains, tanks losing health in forest, soldier losing morale, etc. Point is being “realistic “ is not going to benefit anybody, players would not like as it is complex while devs need to add a lot of coding to the game (which is unneeded)
    • vietcong2005 wrote:

Obviously. Most units serving were infantry. Not tank crews. Artillery is useful, but it is way to overpowered that it was supposed to be in World War II. Although, highly effective against infantry, it was not that effective against tanks. The Whole reason why tanks were even created was to traverse difficult terrain and withstand artillery and infantry. The only way artillery can destroy a tank was that if it actually scored a direct hit. Which was extremely rare. Kind of strange Stalin would say that anyways. During the battle of Selow heights he nearly had 40,000 artillery pieces, yet the Soviets didn't even manage to destroy most of the German army after the bombardment. Resulting in many Soviet casualties during the attack.
      Idk where you got the source of 40,000 artillery were in the battle. There was 16000+ arty in the battle, but there were 40,000 artillery in the combined fronts but only the first front engaged in that battle. The soviets didn’t destroy the german army because they pulled back from their first line of defence in which the soviets were bombing. Also, the majority of the casualties (around 10000-30000) were caused by artillery from a german counter-barage( when the soviet charged their line but were slowed by the swamps)
    • Dinjinn wrote:

Why is it not practical? Have you ever been in the army? Do you know what is involved with moving Artillery. I am only asking for a cooldown period once it has fired. It takes 30 minutes for it to deal damage again so during that 30 minutes it should not be allowed to move. If you want to shoot and move build mobile artillery. Additionally the player does stack them with AA and infantry so the Tact's get eaten up because the stack is so large. As far as splitting the tanks into different stacks I feel like that defeats the purpose of the game.
      I think you have to realize this game is about 100x faster than in real life and its only gonna take like an 2-3 hours to pack up. you divide that by 100 and you get like 1.2-1.8 seconds of that cooldown that you want. I honestly don't see why the devs would put in 1 sec of cooldown in a game where it takes 2-3 hours to move from berlin to Warsaw. And 30 mins of packing in game would mean about almost a day to just pack up ammunition and get the guns moving again i don't see why this is practical.
    • benzdik wrote:

I think you have to realize this game is about 100x faster than in real life and its only gonna take like an 2-3 hours to pack up. you divide that by 100 and you get like 1.2-1.8 seconds of that cooldown that you want. I honestly don't see why the devs would put in 1 sec of cooldown in a game where it takes 2-3 hours to move from berlin to Warsaw. And 30 mins of packing in game would mean about almost a day to just pack up ammunition and get the guns moving again i don't see why this is practical.
      You are right about time speed, but already 5 sec cooldown would be mostly enough to prevent scoot and shoot exploit of artillery duels, when attacker can destroy enemy without own losses.

Thread opener issue with "uncatcheble" by tanks artillery is any way wrong.

Right use of close combat units can destroy unprotected artillery easy, and by protected artillery it is not issue of ingame balance, but players own skills.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Last Warrior ().

• benzdik wrote:

Dinjinn wrote:

Why does it take 20 minutes in game to refuel, wouldn't refueling only take 2-3 hours in real life?